MicroProfile Voting software

Rudy De Busscher

Sep 7, 2020, 10:22:27 AM9/7/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

As I was tasked to do a little research on the possibilities of voting software, I reviewed a few systems and wrote a comparison down in the following document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OIZxjrS2dr_gjP5PjLVegYUCG1kkW_BP5du_0l8O4to/edit?usp=sharing

The document is open for everyone to comment on, or comments can be made in this thread.

This topic can be discussed further on the Hangout of September 15th.

Grtz
Rudy

Werner Keil

Sep 7, 2020, 3:34:23 PM9/7/20
to MicroProfile
For what kinds of vote and by whom?
Guess it's up to certain WGs to pick their voting solution as long as they e.g. pay the license fees if it's a commercial one, but at least for most of the other WGs I know including Jakarta EE the binding votes are done by mailing lists, what's wrong with that?

For Committer elections Eclipse Foundation also has a standard mechanism, so why use something different here?

Werner

Amelia Eiras

Sep 8, 2020, 2:20:44 PM9/8/20
to MicroProfile Community
Rudy,

You are amazing at delivering your findings before today's cancelled meeting. :)

I sent you access to the MPWG G-folder and asked you to move the document there. Thank you in advance for helping keep the documentation in the public drive dedicated to MPWG!!

Amelia Eiras

Oct 6, 2020, 5:12:25 PM10/6/20
to MicroProfile
Rudy,

Given current deadlines and the work that we must put into launching MPWG, lets table this to after the MP4.0 is out :)

After today's explanation of the EF voting system, we are only just learning whats what.

Sharon- Paul,

Is the voting choice for working groups an extra perk including within the yearly EF Maintenance fee or is it a new cost that we must choose to own or not?

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 7:22 AM Rudy De Busscher <rdebu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

As I was tasked to do a little research on the possibilities of voting software, I reviewed a few systems and wrote a comparison down in the following document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OIZxjrS2dr_gjP5PjLVegYUCG1kkW_BP5du_0l8O4to/edit?usp=sharing

The document is open for everyone to comment on, or comments can be made in this thread.

This topic can be discussed further on the Hangout of September 15th.

Grtz
Rudy

Emily Jiang

Oct 7, 2020, 2:16:23 PM10/7/20
to MicroProfile
IIRC, this was discussed before in the live hangout. It is free of charge and run by EF for us, which is why a number of us (Kevin, me and others I can't remember) question why we don't just take the offer but try to reinvent the wheels by establising a new voting system. Besides, we are busy enough and this will give us time and energy to focus on other needy things. EF has used this voting system for Jakarta EE for a few years and it was proven very efficient.

Paul/Sharon, please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks
Emily

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 10:12:25 PM UTC+1 Amelia Eiras wrote:
[...]

Paul Buck

Oct 7, 2020, 5:11:26 PM10/7/20
to MicroProfile Community

Running the ballots is something the Foundation does for all working groups to support the vendor neutral governance.

Paul Buck
VP, Community Development  |  Eclipse Foundation  |  +1.613.220.6507 (m)

Mark Little

Oct 8, 2020, 6:06:11 AM10/8/20
to 'Emily Jiang' via MicroProfile
+1

---
Mark Little
mli...@redhat.com

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

John Clingan

Oct 8, 2020, 2:31:08 PM10/8/20
to MicroProfile
Thanks, Paul.

Rudy, we are learning as we go. I wonder if, when we get to the right point, if we can leverage your efforts for the community to vote as guidance to the committer member.   This is something we have been discussing in the absence of a proxy vote. I don't think this will apply to MicroProfile 4.0 but could apply to subsequent releases.

Edwin Derks

Feb 9, 2021, 8:49:01 AM2/9/21
to MicroProfile
Hi all,

I'm revisiting this topic now we have the MPWG in place, concluding that using the EF provided system is the preferred choice for community voting. That means that I (as MPWG Committer Rep) should be able to use this system to collect community votes on items that I need to vote on as representative in the Steering Committee. If I'm correct on all this, can someone from the EF please guide me through this system to learn how to use it?

Kind regards,

Edwin

Amelia Eiras

Feb 15, 2021, 3:49:33 PM2/15/21
to MicroProfile Community, Edwin Derks, Rudy De Busscher
Edwin and all,

Sharon provided a response via the MPWG forum on Feb. 11th [microprofile-wg] Third Party Online Voting System used by Eclipse Foundation for Working Group Elections. Thanks Sharon!

Rudy, can you please bring back the document where you nicely summarized communication tools that could be tried out to help gather & track community feedback used and support the actions of the MPWG Representive?  I cannot find it in the MP drive. Thanks #ossDOER!

Rudy De Busscher

Feb 16, 2021, 1:56:53 AM2/16/21
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile Community, Edwin Derks
Amelia,

Document is in the MicroProfile (External) / community folder for some time now.

Rudy

Edwin Derks

Feb 16, 2021, 2:29:45 AM2/16/21
to MicroProfile Community
Hi Rudy, Amelia,

Based on Sharon's feedback, I have updated the document. This means that, depending on the nature of the voting subject, we can choose the best fitting tool from this list. Of course, this list can be updated with new insights anytime.

Edwin

Amelia Eiras

Feb 16, 2021, 12:18:57 PM2/16/21
to MicroProfile Community
Thanks Rudy!

Edwin,

Wonderful you updated the document with Sharon's feedback. The document will be linked into the MPWG Q&A documentation as well. 💛
You have full freedom to try stuff, (no matter if it costs $), there are no limits. Fail safetly & fast while setting-up pilots to help us find out works (based on traction- actions) and what doesn't on gathering MicroProfilers' feedback.

Cheers,