Microprofile newcomers

Nuno Caro

May 1, 2019, 6:30:46 PM5/1/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hello all,

I've been following Microprofile evolution for a few months now and I'm trying to get involved with the project since I really enjoy its direction.
I've been reading the forum threads and attended to my first hangout yesterday. Since one of the topics was that the project needs more people to join in, this seems a good time to give some feedback.

One thing I use to struggle on projects like this is knowing where help is needed. The project is broad and already has a lot of content, and is not very productive to blindly tackle some issue on some repository. I simply don't know where to start.
If, for instance, I go to some Microprofile project in Microprofile.io and navigate to the contributing link, it shows an empty page.
Maybe create a sticky thread on "how to get involved".
I really liked the idea of the interviews for the individual contributors, it seems a good way to break the ice and allow for new people to get involved more easily.

The community hangout was really great, and I got a lot of insight that helped, but as you stated, it requires that everyone has to clear up that hour to attend. In my case, It starts right in the middle of my commute home (live in Portugal) and is nearly impossible to participate actively.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't look like I'm just complaining. I'm just trying to explain my experience so far and what could I do, or any newcomer, to overcome the hurdles.

Best Regards,
NC