OpenTracing and Rest-client - cross spec integration

Pavol Loffay

Oct 15, 2018, 12:34:43 PM10/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

in https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-opentracing/issues/82 we would like to add tracing support for MP rest-client. There are some concerns where this integration should be defined and how it should be tested.

At the moment we decided to add this into OpenTracing (OT) spec and also add a TCK for it. This means that passing OT TCK requires rest client implementation. What if a vendor does not implement rest-client?
I guess we should split the TCK into two modules or is excluding rest-client TCK classes enough? On the API side the situation is better. OT API does not require rest-client (or vice-versa).

Any suggestions are welcome how to handle these cross spec integrations.

Regards,

Ken Finnigan

Oct 15, 2018, 1:48:22 PM10/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Issues like this have been raised in the past, and the general consensus was that we needed some type of MP umbrella TCK.

However, we don't have one right now.

Maybe we need to bump up the priority for doing something about it

Ken

Pavol Loffay

Oct 15, 2018, 2:38:55 PM10/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 7:48:22 PM UTC+2, Ken Finnigan wrote:
Issues like this have been raised in the past, and the general consensus was that we needed some type of MP umbrella TCK.

However, we don't have one right now.

Maybe we need to bump up the priority for doing something about it

+1.

If it does not happen we could go with something similar to JAX-RS spec:

 "10.2 Integration with Java EE Technologies": In a product that supports CDI, implementations MUST support...

And make sure TCK and API can be used without relying on other specs.