OpenTracing lead

Heiko Rupp

Mar 21, 2018, 9:03:21 AM3/21/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey,

Steve Fontes who has led the OpenTracing spec effort is no longer leading this (Kevin can/will tell more).

I have spoken with a few folks and want to propose Pavol Loffay as new spec lead.
Pavol has been involved in the MP-OT spec and is also a contributor to the  OpenTracing spec and also involved in Jaeger tracing.
I would help him with this task if he needs my help

Before we make this official: are there any objections?

 Thanks
    Heiko

Ken Finnigan

Mar 21, 2018, 9:05:25 AM3/21/18
to MicroProfile
+1 to Pavol being OpenTracing lead

Kevin Sutter

Mar 23, 2018, 2:29:30 PM3/23/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1   I agree that Pavol would make an excellent lead for OpenTracing.  Since we have already shown that leads can change from one feature version to the next (reference MicroProfile Config), I think this leadership change should be relatively simple and straight-forward.  Thanks, Pavol, for volunteering!

As Heiko mentioned, Steve Fontes is no longer leading this effort.  Steve has decided to retire from IBM with a big smile on his face!  :-)  This not only came as a surprise to the MP community, but also to his team here at IBM.  We will definitely miss Steve's development knowledge and personality.  I wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors!

Although we will be passing the leadership torch to Pavol, we still do plan to participate in the OpenTracing effort.  Very soon, you'll be seeing a new "face" participating from IBM in this space...

Thanks!
--  Kevin

Jonathan Gallimore

Mar 28, 2018, 5:02:10 AM3/28/18
to MicroProfile
Thank you for the update Kevin, and thank you Steve and Pavol!

I noticed that the OpenTracing hangout doesn't show on the calendar (or perhaps just my calendar!). I would like to join in - do these meetings still take place?

Kind Regards

Jon

Heiko Rupp

Mar 28, 2018, 5:06:07 AM3/28/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2018 11:02:10 UTC+2 schrieb Jonathan Gallimore:
Thank you for the update Kevin, and thank you Steve and Pavol!

I noticed that the OpenTracing hangout doesn't show on the calendar (or perhaps just my calendar!). I would like to join in - do these meetings still take place?

We will restart them after the Easter break.

Jonathan Gallimore

Mar 28, 2018, 5:09:25 AM3/28/18
to MicroProfile
Awesome, thanks Heiko!

Emily Jiang

Mar 28, 2018, 5:18:23 AM3/28/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Great. Thanks Heiko to reinstate this spec! Welcome Pavol to lead the Open Tracing spec. As Kevin mentioned earlier, we will get someone to participate this interlock to move forward. I would like someone from Open Tracing to participate on the service-mesh workgroup to discuss more on MP open tracing integration with Istio.

Thanks
Emily

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 10:09:25 AM UTC+1, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:
Awesome, thanks Heiko!

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM, 'Heiko Rupp' via Eclipse MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2018 11:02:10 UTC+2 schrieb Jonathan Gallimore:
Thank you for the update Kevin, and thank you Steve and Pavol!

I noticed that the OpenTracing hangout doesn't show on the calendar (or perhaps just my calendar!). I would like to join in - do these meetings still take place?

We will restart them after the Easter break.

Message has been deleted

plo...@redhat.com

Apr 12, 2018, 12:51:13 PM4/12/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank for your votes! I appreciate it.

Kevin I would like to restore meetings soon. There will be a couple of things to review. It would be good to have somebody from IBM present at the next weekly meeting.

Also please vote here [1] for new meeting time.

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microprofile/Nlg2J2Jx1tQ