New version MicroProfile GraphQL

Kito Mann

May 15, 2024, 11:01:54 AMMay 15
to Phillip Krüger, jan.ma...@redhat.com, tim.mi...@oracle.com, Eclipse MicroProfile
Hello everyone,

The MicroProfile GraphQL spec is in dire need of an update in order to remain competitive with other offerings on the market. For example, it doesn't support subscriptions. I'm also wondering if there's anything we need to do at the spec level to facilitate use of virtual threads.  I'd love to see the specification revived. I know Phillip and Jan can help; is anyone else interested and/or available to help with this effort?

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN

May 16, 2024, 7:28:49 PMMay 16
to MicroProfile
Hello,

I'm interested in working on MicroProfile GraphQL spec update

Best regards

Jan Martiška

May 20, 2024, 8:04:39 AMMay 20
to Tim Middleton, Kito Mann, Phillip Krüger, Eclipse MicroProfile
Hello,
while I don't expect to have enough time to personally drive this, I can certainly help if somebody takes it up and decides to make a pull request.
The implementation can probably be inspired by SmallRye GraphQL, create a new @Subscription annotation and probably specify the websocket protocol (it should be required to support at least https://github.com/enisdenjo/graphql-ws/blob/master/PROTOCOL.md, but it might get a little tricky because it doesn't look like the specification of the protocol is being versioned). There's some basic sketch of TCK tests in smallrye-graphql too, but not very thorough.
Jan

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 2:37 AM Tim Middleton <tim.mi...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi

I’m happy to help with updating the spec, especially around subscriptions.

I’m on vacation from next Monday for a month but can help after that.

I’m based in Perth, Australia so not so far from Phillip at least.

Thanks

Tim

Kito Mann

Kito Mann

Jun 3, 2024, 2:19:44 PMJun 3
to Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN, MicroProfile
Hello Mohamed,

Thanks! I was looking for something a little more high-level, though. Are you interested in working on a specific feature (i.e. subscriptions) or specific types of tasks (i.e. writing spec language)?

Nothing in Github has been updated for this effort in particular.

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.
On Jun 2, 2024 at 3:50 PM -0400, Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN <mohamed.ait...@gmail.com>, wrote:
You're welcome Kito!

I'll take a look at issues list on Github and let you know.

However, speaking of Github, are milestones status up to date ?

Best regards

Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN

Kito Mann

Jun 5, 2024, 12:34:45 PMJun 5
to Tim Middleton, Jan Martiška, Eclipse MicroProfile, Phillip Krüger, Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN
Ok, it looks like we have commitments to assist (but not drive) the next MicroProfile GraphQL release from:
  • Jan Martiška (Red Hat)
  • Phillip Krüger (Red Hat)
  • Tim Middleton (Oracle)
  • Mohamed Ait Abderrahman (individual)
  • Kito Mann (Individual)

Is anyone else interested? Is anyone against this effort?

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Emily Jiang

Jun 6, 2024, 4:09:54 PMJun 6
to MicroProfile
Thank you Kito for regrouping the spec team! If you need a regular meeting to be created for you all to get together talking about the plan, please just comment here with a frequence and time slot. John or I will be able to create meetings for you.
Thanks
Emily

Kito Mann

Jun 14, 2024, 9:24:28 AMJun 14
to 'Emily Jiang' via MicroProfile
Hey Emily,

Can we start with a biweekly frequency either next week or the week afater?

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Emily Jiang

Jun 14, 2024, 4:24:29 PMJun 14
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good! Please let me know the timeslot so that I can create the meetings accordingly.
Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Kito Mann

Kito Mann

Jun 26, 2024, 10:49:45 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to Tim Middleton, Jan Martiška, Eclipse MicroProfile, Phillip Krüger, Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN
Hello everyone,

So, Mohamed has responded. Tim, Jan, Phillip?

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Phillip Krüger

Jun 26, 2024, 7:40:55 PM (6 days ago) Jun 26
to MicroProfile
Works for me. Let's get this in the calendar.

Jan Martiška

Jun 27, 2024, 4:45:35 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to Tim Middleton, Kito Mann, Eclipse MicroProfile, Phillip Krüger, Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN
Sure!
Jan

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 2:13 AM Tim Middleton <tim.mi...@oracle.com> wrote:

Yes that works for me.

Kito Mann

Jul 1, 2024, 12:26:34 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to MicroProfile, Phillip Krüger, Jan Martiška, Tim Middleton, Mohamed AIT ABDERRAHMAN
Ok, what time zones are folks in, and which day(s) generally work? I'll start:

Kito: EDT, any day except Friday

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Phillip Krüger

Jul 1, 2024, 7:36:07 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to MicroProfile
Phillip: AEST , any day