[MARKETING] Logo revamp

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 20, 2017, 3:43:49 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile

I’ve been looking at the on-line MicroProfile material, e.g. website, presentations, etc., and I’d like to propose a concerted exercise to make them have the same look. As a first step, I’d like to propose that we revamp our MicroProfile logo, which could be used in all of our template presentations, MicroProfile.io website and Eclipse site landing pages, for example.  It would also come in handy to continue to raise market awareness of some recent and upcoming events, such as MicroProfile becoming part of the Eclipse Foundation 4.5 months ago,  June 2017 being the 1-year anniversary since MicroProfile was first announced, Devoxx UK happening next month (May 2017), the release of MicroProfile 1.1 taking place later this year, and JavaOne taking place in October 2017.

The revamped logo would need to embody/convey the following themes:

- open collaboration

- open technology

- community

- innovation - leading edge (high-tech and slick) - modern - having “cool” factor

- conduit to standardization (we are not a standards arm, we are innovating); feeding into standards process

- microservices support

- agility

- vendor-neutral; stay away from any resemblance to any vendor’s logo

Along the innovation and modern theme, we should consider the style of logos of modern technologies that developers are using nowadays like Docker, GitHub, Jenkins, etc., and possibly make our new logo follow that style. It could be abstract or literal or somewhere in between.  I’d like to know your opinion and ideas on this.

Lastly, who would be interested to be directly involved in the design of the new logo?

Thanks,

Cesar Saavedra

csaa...@redhat.com

(407) 492-9801

David Blevins

Apr 20, 2017, 5:32:47 PM4/20/17
to csaa...@redhat.com, Ryan St. James, MicroProfile
Adding Ryan who created the logo we have as I suspect he’d want to be involved.

John Clingan

Apr 20, 2017, 7:08:23 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile, ke...@hazelcast.com, l33t...@gmail.com
I really like the idea of having the web site, a presentation template, and logo (etc) all having the same look.

I'll let the marketing experts work out the details because I have two left brains :-)

IIRC from Devoxx.us, Kevin from Hazelcast (cc'd) was interested in getting involved in MicroProfile marketing (thanks Amelia for the introduction). smillidge (cc'd), perhaps Dominika would be interested as well?

Any IBM folks?

Any non-vendors with an interest in marketing?

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

Apr 21, 2017, 10:53:27 AM4/21/17

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 19:08:23 UTC-4, John Clingan wrote:
I really like the idea of having the web site, a presentation template, and logo (etc) all having the same look.

I'll let the marketing experts work out the details because I have two left brains :-)

IIRC from Devoxx.us, Kevin from Hazelcast (cc'd) was interested in getting involved in MicroProfile marketing (thanks Amelia for the introduction). smillidge (cc'd), perhaps Dominika would be interested as well?

Any IBM folks?

Any non-vendors with an interest in marketing?

Not sure if I count as a non-vendor but I would certainly be willing to help out.

Ian Robinson

Apr 21, 2017, 12:56:24 PM4/21/17
to MicroProfile, ke...@hazelcast.com, l33t...@gmail.com, jca...@us.ibm.com
I'd like to get Jay Cagle involved, from the IBM design team.
- Ian

John Clingan

Apr 21, 2017, 1:20:09 PM4/21/17
to MicroProfile
Note, we are going to have to TM (Trademark) the logo.

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 23, 2017, 11:05:06 AM4/23/17
to MicroProfile
Thank you all for your feedback.  So, here's the narrowed down list of folks that will be directly working on the design on the revamped MicroProfile logo:

Ryan St. James - rstj...@tomitribe.com
Smillidge - l33t...@gmail.com
IIRC rom Devoxx.us (does anybody have the name and email of this person?)
Dominika (does anybody have the email for this person?)
Ian Skerrett - ian.sk...@eclipse.com
Jay Cagle - jca...@us.ibm.com
Alex Traboulsi - atra...@redhat.com

Two questions:
1) As you can see from list above, there are two people that were proposed without contact information. If you have their contact information, please send them my way.
2) Did I miss anybody from this list?

Since I don't have access to the MicroProfile calendar, my plan is to set up a bluejeans call with the list of people above (by sending a direct email to them) to kick off the design of the revamped MicroProfile logo.

Thanks,
Cesar Saavedra
Technical Marketing Product Manager

David Blevins

Apr 23, 2017, 10:05:02 PM4/23/17
to csaa...@redhat.com, Ryan St. James, MicroProfile
Here's a reference I'd like to point out on a Devoxx US talk I did that's currently making the rounds on twitter:

I use the MicroProfile logo to explain Rest Security.  The talk of JWTs and passing them around the network fits strongly in with where we intend to go in the MicroProfile as well.

There is some utility in the current logo in that we can use it to explain a great deal of our concepts which creates opportunities to reinforce our branding.  Basically, people stared at the MicroProfile logo for an hour and their understanding of a complex subject is now burned into their brain permanently linked to the MicroProfile logo.

I think we should tempt ourselves with the notion that a strategic place for the MicroProfile logo is not just on a shirt or the lower corner of a slide, but dead center of the slide itself.

Some variations on the existing logo might be useful to throw into the ring.  It is currently very "line" based, so there might be a few versions of it.  Some more solid and "badge" like, perhaps with a shape behind it and some of the lines inverted, and a line based flavor like we have which has utility in showing microservices.  I.e. something that can shift from the corner of the slide to the center of the slide with only a small variation so it is still recognizable but can fill both roles.

-David

Jay Cagle

Apr 24, 2017, 2:12:51 PM4/24/17
to MicroProfile, ke...@hazelcast.com, l33t...@gmail.com, jca...@us.ibm.com
Thanks, Ian, and I agree that we have an opportunity to strengthen our marketing of Microprofile through a revamp of the logo and tying it in better with the site and presentation materials.

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 28, 2017, 9:52:40 AM4/28/17
to MicroProfile
We held our kick-off call yesterday. Thank you to all that attended. Here are my notes from the call:
========

Attendees: Alex (Red Hat), Ryan (Tomitribe - Prague), Theresa (Tomitribe - West Coast), Ian (Eclipse), Jay (IBM), Murphy (IBM), Dominika (Payara - UK), Cesar (Red Hat)

Ryan (intros):

He’s a designer. He’s been doing design 11 years. He’s been with Tomitribe for 2 years.

Dominika:

7 years in industry. Marketing manager at Payara. She’s been with Payara since 2014.

Jay:

Design manager of IBM WebSphere team.  He’s been a manager for 5 years. He has a team of designers.

Murphy:

Visual designer in Jay’s team.  She’s been working in SWG companies for 5 years.

Alex:

Graphic designer. With Red Hat 1 year.  He worked at an ad agency before that. Experience 7 years.

Theresa:

Sales & marketing - working with app server - 3 years ago, she joined Tomitribe - founded Tomitribe

Ian:

VP of Marketing of Eclipse foundation.

We had a very healthy discussion as to the reasons whether or not a revamped logo was really necessary.  Dominika mentioned that branding guidelines (logo size, colors, etc.) were needed for current logo. She also mentioned that the “Waving Duke” was really successful. Duke character is open source. The Waving Duke could be our mascot? At the end, all agree that IBM, Red Hat, and Tomitribe (the teams with very experienced graphic visual designers) would work on a set of possible revamped logos for MicroProfile.  An enhanced version of the current logo would be included as a candidate as well.  The resulting work will include logos, branding guidelines, and other artifacts and context of how and when to use them. IBM, Red Hat and Tomitribe design teams will collaborate on this effort and will also have a synch-up call among themselves next week (May 5?). The next call that will include all attendees in this call will be on May 11 at 10am EDT, in which the logo candidates and associated artifacts will be discussed before putting them up for voting in the community.

========

Martijn Verburg

May 1, 2017, 11:41:03 AM5/1/17
to csaa...@redhat.com, MicroProfile
Hi all,

I'll only note that the Waving Duke has been used by other communities within Java, so it might be worth checking to make sure there's no major clash there.  Also the Duke can be seen as more community and less 'professional', so we need to take a bit of care there as well.

Cheers,
Martijn

John Clingan

May 2, 2017, 12:54:18 PM5/2/17
to MicroProfile, csaa...@redhat.com
MicroProfile is community, right? :-)

Cesar, thanks for sending out notes. Looks like there was a lot of productive conversations. I like the idea of the Brand Guidelines as well.

sst...@redhat.com

May 4, 2017, 2:43:31 AM5/4/17
to MicroProfile
So do we have a current repository of material we can use for presentations, etc? I know there are some presentations in the old github repo but I wanted to see if there are more recent updates that should be used.

Jay Cagle

May 9, 2017, 11:04:30 PM5/9/17
to MicroProfile
On Thursday, May 4 we had a meeting of the designers who are working on revamped logo ideas.

Attendees were:  Amelia (Tomitribe), Ryan St. James (Tomitribe), Theresa Nguyen (Tomitribe), Alex Traboulsi (Red Hat), Murphy Basore (IBM), and Jay Cagle (IBM)

Ryan, Alex, and Murphy presented draft logo ideas and we exchanged feedback on them.

For the next call on May 11 we'll present our logo ideas to the larger group in preparation for presenting them to the community for voting.

Jay

ps - sorry it's taken me several days to post this message.  Also, for the sake of transparency I have a recording of our call on May 4.

csaa...@redhat.com

May 11, 2017, 2:36:15 PM5/11/17
to MicroProfile
On Thursday, May 11, 2017, we had a meeting for the designers to present their initial revamped logos.
Attendees: Ryan and Theresa from Tomitribe, Jay and Murphy from IBM, Alex and Cesar from Red Hat, Dominika from Payara, Kevin from Hazelcast.

Tomitribe, Red Hat, and IBM presented their first draft revamped logo proposals.  We all gave feedback to each team.  Teams are going to take feedback into consideration to tweak their proposals and we will reconvene on May 25 for a second review before sharing with entire community for voting.

Here's the recording of the call:

AIs:
- Cesar to locate a public repository, accessible to everyone in this group, to place prototypes in before voting (status: already reached out to John C.  Jay, could you please send me Emily Jiang's email?)
- Cesar to schedule 2nd logo proposal review call for May 25, 2017 at 10am US EDT. (done)
- Ryan is going to put together a template for everyone to use to place their logos on for contextual presentation. He will send out template to all teams next week.

Thanks,
Cesar

Jay Cagle

May 22, 2017, 10:09:06 AM5/22/17
to MicroProfile
I'd like to propose that we move our next meeting from this Thursday to next Thursday, June 1.  Ryan said that he had a crazy week and wasn't able to get the templates created.  He's going to send them out today.  I want to make sure that we all have enough time to adapt our designs to the templates before we present.

csaa...@redhat.com

May 22, 2017, 2:01:25 PM5/22/17
to MicroProfile
I just sent out the re-schedule notice.  Thanks, Cesar.

Amelia Eiras

May 23, 2017, 5:55:31 PM5/23/17
to MicroProfile, caja...@gmail.com
Cesar: Thank you for calendar update.

Jay: on May 9th you shared May 4th written update, yet the video of the call was not shared.
Can you please share it?  Thank you in advance.

The 1hr video shared from 5/11 call is fantastic in every respect, AND it mentions multiple times the 5/4 video call.  Yet, we lack that video that is needed to enable further understanding on latest call video.

  • Kevin from HZ asked on his 1st call a great question:  "what is it that we are trying to accomplish with new logo?"

That question alone, hopefully has helped increase understanding on MP LOGO project.
Thank you to each one of you participated on that call and enabled openness via great questions.

---------

MP Community:

Please allow me to remind you of thread: Votes for nominees for community code of conduct from 8/17/16

Thread was closed my wonderful Martijn on 8/23/16. Result:  there are currently no Leads helping enforce Conduct of Conduct for MP due to low vote traction.

Quoting my response from 8/20/16:
  •  If the majority of the MicroProfile 339 members (at least 51% or more) vote to elect 3 individuals, that robust voter turnout directly shows a healthy democratic environment that has the proper engagement on this topic.   However, if low vote turnout occurs, the vote & result ought to be voided.

Utilizing that voting past, it was also stated on 5/4 video call that:

  • The MP active Community gets full ownership to vote or not on revamp logo.

-------

John & Kevin:
  • how does the section: Life hangouts work?
  • is there a way via Eclipse site or MP.IO (what is the recommended way to most effectively archive MP videos taking place by section? - CODE & BUSINESS
  • Finally,  what is the currents status of MP contributor's re-org?
many thanks everyone,

Jay Cagle

May 25, 2017, 11:08:02 AM5/25/17
to MicroProfile, caja...@gmail.com
Here is the meeting recording from the May 4 call.

Amelia Eiras

May 25, 2017, 1:40:04 PM5/25/17
to Jay Cagle, MicroProfile

csaa...@redhat.com

Jun 1, 2017, 12:14:37 PM6/1/17
to MicroProfile
We had our second logo revamp meeting.  Here are my notes:
========

June 1, 2017

MicroProfile community meeting - Revamped MicroProfile logo call

Attendees: Cesar Saavedra (Red Hat), Alex Traboulsi (Red Hat design person), Jay Cagle (IBM design person), Murphy Basore (IBM design person), Theresa Nguyen (Tomitribe), Ryan St James (Tomitribe), Amelia Eiras (Tomitribe)

Ryan went over original logo and one other proposal.

Murphy went next.  She has 2 more extra pages than Ryan’s.  Maybe, she should reduce # of pages?

Alex went last.

We all agreed on the total # of pages for proposals (no vendor names on proposal please) and the content of each as follows:

How many pages? Total of 8

Page 1 - rationale for logo (put option # at top left of page)

Page 2 - one color

Page 3 - two color

Page 4 - four color

Page 5 - badge

Page 6 - browser

Page 7 - powerpoint presentation

Page 8 - extra links (applications of logo like animation, etc.)

We discussed about whether or not present logos on June 13, 2017 MicroProfile revamped logo. Design teams will load their final proposals at the following location:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_67yGf9LkLcmc1Zjl1aS0zVzg

AIs:

- Ryan to upload his proposals to “Logo Proposal 1” and “Logo Proposal 2” directories:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_67yGf9LkLVkl4TGNlRklHV0E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_67yGf9LkLZ0RrY3IyN19fTVk

- Murphy to upload her proposal to “Logo Proposal 3” directory:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_67yGf9LkLajRmQkZEbUtRd28

- Alex to upload his proposal to “Logo Proposal 4” directory:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_67yGf9LkLQWU1eU5JMUZEWk0

- Cesar will attend MicroProfile Hangout on June 13, 2017 and will mention that we are ready for voting and provide public links to revamped logo artifacts.  Also, a topic to be discussed during the hangout is the voting process to elect new revamped logo.

The video recording of the meeting can be found here:
========