[VOTE] Should we enable Google Group tags?

Mike Croft

May 16, 2017, 8:16:34 AM5/16/17
to MicroProfile
Google Groups supports the ability to add tags to posts as a way to filter messages down to just those you are interested in.

Since there are lots of topics here on lots of subjects, it's easy to miss certain important topics if the title doesn't stand out as being related to a particular subject (e.g. config, fault-tolerance, etc). Since we've grown a bit and we have new discussions about proposals and potential proposals, I think using tags in this way would be very helpful to pick out the signal amongst the noise.

Shall I enable them?

+1/0/-1 below please

Mark Little

May 16, 2017, 8:21:07 AM5/16/17
to Mike Croft, MicroProfile
Never used them myself. Got something we can read? Does it only work through the gmail web interface? Wondering how it will show up in mail clients such as Thunderbird or MacMail.

Mark.

Mike Croft

Mark Little

May 16, 2017, 8:28:34 AM5/16/17
to Mike Croft, MicroProfile
OK with me then. I just won’t see the benefit :)

---
Mark Little

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Mike Croft

May 23, 2017, 11:22:26 AM5/23/17
to MicroProfile
No-one complained, so I enabled them. I've added a couple of tags that I think seem relevant - if you're using the Groups web interface, you can click the tag to view only topics related to that tag, e.g. I added a marketing tag to Cesar's posts:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!tags/microprofile/marketing

As Mark pointed out, note that these will not show up for people exclusively using email.

Kevin Sutter

May 31, 2017, 2:46:24 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Mike,
It seems that only group owners or group managers have this ability to add tags to existing conversations?  I don't seem to have that ability.  Can you verify and if that's the case, give me appropriate permissions?

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin Sutter

May 31, 2017, 2:55:36 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Okay, it seems that I have the ability to edit the tags on conversations that I started, but nothing else.  So, if I wanted to add the [vote] tag to the Config 1.0 voting conversation that Emily posted, I currently don't have that ability.

Does only conversation initiator have that ability to add/edit tags?  Or, can group owners/managers also have that ability?  If so, then I would like to have that ability.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Mike Croft

May 31, 2017, 2:55:55 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Done! I made you a manager (makes sense to have any Eclipse project committer as a manager if they want, IMO) but I also enabled any member to edit tags on existing topics. FYI for the future, that setting is in "Moderation Permissions" -> "Change any Tag or Category".

Kevin Sutter

May 31, 2017, 4:38:08 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Worked like a champ!  Thanks, Mike.