MP-Metrics the way forward

Heiko Rupp

Oct 30, 2017, 1:08:07 PM10/30/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey,
now that the dust has settled after JavaOne and EclipseCon Europe :-)
I'd like to propose a way forward with MP-Metrics.

We have added a larger number of tests to the TCK, that we will release as a 1.0.1 relatively soonish. We still need to figure out the date and how exactly to do it.

After this is done, we want to concentrate on 1.1, where I propose those areas:

- Sub-registries for applications. Right now metrics operates under the assumption that a MP-server does a microservice, which effectively is one app per server. Some folks want to run more than one app per server and thus need a way to separate the applications within the application scope. See Should we support a hierarchy of metrics?

- This is a bit similar to the previous one: other MP-specs also need a way to expose metrics. We want to create a new scope for those integrations and namespaces under this scope for the various specs. This way it is possible that e.g. FT reports how often a Timeout hit or how many retries are needed until a connection to a remote service is successful. This may also need some per-application sub-space as in the previous one. See  Support a scope for other MP* specifications

- Investigate allowing the "re-use" of a metric in order to e.g. aggregate call statistics of multiple methods of a Jax-RS endpoint. See Shared @Timed annotations

- Some smaller clarifications in the spec

If you have comments, please add them to the github issues at https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues  and/or join us in Gitter https://gitter.im/eclipse/microprofile-metrics or on the weekly call (there is no call on Oct 31st).