Eclipse DemoCamps

Werner Keil

Jan 28, 2017, 4:19:12 PM1/28/17
to MicroProfile
Dear All,

Aside from official conferences like Eclipse Converge (or DevoXX US where it's co-located), EclipseCon France or EclipseCon Europe, there are also numerous Eclipse DemoCamps every year.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Oxygen_2017 is the Wiki page for the upcoming Oxygen season.
There is one scheduled already in China.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Neon_2016 shows the DemoCamps held last year.
Red Hat was host to one in Toronto. Of course Microprofile joining Eclipse Foundation was not even discussed or decided here back then, but I mentioned it in my Darmstadt presentation using 2 of the 3 technologies (and a "Microprofile-like" Java framework) aside from aspects by JNoSQL which is now also an Eclipse project.

If you're a JUG or small group of people and there are not too many DemoCamps in your country already, Eclipse Foundation also sponsors some costs like catering, at least it did in the past (I organized a few myself e.g. in Copenhagen)

For companies or organizations with good ties to venues, everyone can host a DemoCamp, so why don't some of you host a DemoCamp?
There has not been one in London for a while, but the last one in 2010 was hosted by SkillsMatter, where LJC just welcomed many of the JCP EC Members after the London F2F, so maybe they could also offer a venue for a DemoCamp London again...

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Mar 22, 2017, 7:12:46 AM3/22/17
to MicroProfile
Hi,

Just saw, Hamburg also scheduled a DemoCamp after there was just a Hackathon about 2 weeks ago: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Oxygen_2017/Hamburg

It's at Google in Hamburg. And Martin Lippert from Pivotal is one of the organizers.
Does that scare you or do you think he might block a presentation about MicroProfile?;-)

I can't say, but so far only 2 proposals exist by the same speaker/member, so still time and space for others.f
Mike Milinkovich is also on the list. Although I should be based more in the NRW area over the next months, I'd love to propose something there myself. It's a week before Ivar and I talk about MP at DWX so a dress rehearsal if you want. And there seem to be cheap flights or trains to get there, so I'm happy to present there myself. Leaving Munich to others especially since Red Hat HQ is there or Adam Bien.

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Apr 3, 2017, 4:00:49 PM4/3/17
to MicroProfile
After getting another invitation by Ralph (German Eclipse chair) I proposed a MicroProfile demo for Hamburg: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Oxygen_2017/Hamburg#Proposals

If you are in Hamburg or close enough, please feel free to join me. I should be able to fly up unless my customer needs me very urgently. So although I am confident it'll work, a co-speaker/backup from the region or able to get there would certainly be welcome.
Unless you've been to the GooglePlex or another Google office it should be there.

And co-hosted with the Hamburg JUG http://www.jughh.de/ so plenty of opportunities to reach out to the Java Community.

Regards,
Werner

Werner Keil

Apr 29, 2017, 3:06:46 AM4/29/17
to MicroProfile
Although he's not in Norway maybe Ivar could do a talk at Eclipse DemoCamp Trondheim in August:

Because I'm a committer there already and Otavio's proposal to ECF about JNoSQL was not accepted, I am going to talk about JNoSQL in Hamburg. If you are already "called" committer then why not start committing by proposing your own MicroProfile demo: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_DemoCamps_Oxygen_2017

It cannot be just the "Usual Suspects" while others neither commit code nor spread the word in other places then their backyard or comfort zone.

Werner Keil

Nov 2, 2017, 11:07:02 AM11/2/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

I saw there will be an Eclipse DemoCamp Munich in December:

I am in Munich, so I'll probably attend, but would anybody in the area e.g. Red Hat be willing to do a MicroProfile demo?
Not sure, if the agenda is already set, but maybe some of the corporate MicroProfile participants could ask to do something if it isn't full yet.
Happy to join otherwise I may just visit it.

Werner