MicroProfile 3.1.next planning

John Clingan

Sep 27, 2019, 9:46:34 AM9/27/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
We are getting close to a MicroProfile 3.1 release, and we need to starting thinking about the February release.

One topic to discuss for the release is a re-base of CDI, JAX-RS, JSON-P, JSON-B (and Common Annotations) from Java EE specs to Jakarta EE specs. Since the APIs do not change, it can be argued that a move to Jakarta EE does not require a breaking change (this change can roll into a MicroProfile 3.2 release) or that this is significant enough a change that it requires a major change (rolls into a MicroProfile 4.0).

Are there specification teams that have plans for a major release that could align with a Major MicroProfile 4.0 February release or are the spec teams planning on a June MicroProfile 4.0 release?

Would love to get feedback from the community on this.

Guillermo González de Agüero

Sep 27, 2019, 12:31:58 PM9/27/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Given that Jakarta EE 9 will neee to change package names (at least for some specs), I'd update to Jakarta EE 8 on MP 3.2 and Jakarta EE 9 on MP 4.0.

Btw this could be another reason for Jakarta to go for the big bang approach on renaming, to allow dependent projects to upgrade only once.

Werner Keil

Emily Jiang

Oct 1, 2019, 6:17:50 AM10/1/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Since the Jakarta EE 8 uses a different group id and artifact id, the current microservices using MicroProfile 3.x or earlier will need to have their dependencies in the pom.xml updated accordingly. Besides, the API jars (CDI, JAX-RS, JSON-P, JSON-B) are different as well with different symbolic name etc. I think this warrants a major change as it depends on a different api.

To make the major change more convincing, we are aiming to do a major release in Fault Tolerance because we want to consume the major release of Metrics 2.1. MicroProfile Config is on the way of introducing a potential breaking changes as well.

With this, I vote for MicroProfile 4.0 Feb Release.

Thanks
Emily

Alex Lewis

Oct 2, 2019, 11:44:17 AM10/2/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Are the package names for classes Jakarta EE 8 still in the javax.* namespace? They look like the are according to https://jakarta.ee/specifications/platform/8/apidocs/ but I do remember a discussion about package renaming.

If they are still in the javax namespace, then I think an app developer could disable the MP's dependency on Jakarta GAVs and add the Java EE GAVs to their own POMs (if they're not there already). As the classes are binary compatible, the Application and MP would all be using Java EE 8 binaries instead.

Don't know whether this would still be considered backwards-compatible or not? MP might be considered backwards-compatible as it would use the Jakarta EE binaries/dependencies by default but there is a route those apps that specifically need Java EE 8.

The below is an example but I admit I've not actually tried it.

E.g.
<dependency>

<groupId>org.eclipse.microprofile</groupId>

<artifactId>microprofile</artifactId>

<version>X.Y</version>

<exclusions>

<exclusion>

<artifactId>jakarta.enterprise</artifactId>

<groupId>javax.enterprise.cdi-api</groupId>

</exclusion>

<exclusion>
      ... etc....

</exclusions>
<dependency>
<dependency>

<groupId>javax</groupId>

<artifactId>javaee-api</artifactId>

<version>8.0</version>

<scope>provided</scope>
</dependency>

Rudy De Busscher

Oct 3, 2019, 1:37:50 AM10/3/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yes, package renaming is scheduled for Jakarta EE 9. And although the exclusions will work, it is not nice and a burden for the developer.

Rudy

Alasdair Nottingham

Oct 3, 2019, 6:58:37 AM10/3/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I don’t think changing a dependency from Java EE 8 to Jakarta EE 8 should constitute a breaking change. The API is supposed to be 100% compatible and saying this forces aN MP 4 contradicts the message from the Jakarta EE community.

I would say just update the group and artefact id and not worry about a major version update.

Alasdair Nottingham