[MARKETING] JavaOne (Oct 1-5, 2017) - MicroProfile hosted at Eclipse booth

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 20, 2017, 9:52:11 AM4/20/17
to MicroProfile

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get your feedback on the following:

1) Eclipse has offered to host MicroProfile (uP) at their booth at JavaOne and would like to share booth cost among uP community members. This would be in addition to any MicroProfile promotion by uP community members at our own booths at JavaOne. I’d like to know what you think.  Also, who would be interested in sharing booth cost with Eclipse foundation? Approximate booth cost is about $12K USD for a 10x10 booth with 2 pedestals. Eclipse could cover half the booth cost so our contributions would go toward the remaining $6K USD.

2) Also, although Eclipse will have their own folks to staff their booth throughout the conference, they don’t have any SMEs on uP so we would need to provide uP SMEs (plus presentation and possibly a demo) to staff the MicroProfile stand (pedestal) at the Eclipse booth at JavaOne. Resources are usually scheduled in 2-hr blocks. We can work on this as the event approaches and reach out to our community for volunteers.

3) About uP swag to have available at the Eclipse booth, we (uP community members) would need to share this cost.  I’m thinking that all swag could be vendor-neutral so that we can use it at the Eclipse booth as well as our own booths.  What do you think?

4) Lastly, I’d like to set up a Google hangout for some time next week for our community to meet Ian Skerrett from Eclipse.  So please bring your questions.  Here are some possible times (all times in US EDT) for this hangout, please vote for the best date/time and I’ll set up accordingly:

Monday, April 24, 2017 - before 10:30am,12:30pm-3pm and 4pm-5pm EDT

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10am-12noon, 2pm-5pm EDT

Thursday April 27, 2017 - 12pm-5pm EDT

Thanks,

Cesar Saavedra

csaa...@redhat.com

(407) 492-9801

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

Apr 20, 2017, 1:44:44 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile
I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.  I am the VP of Marketing for the Eclipse Foundation. One of my roles is to work with different Eclipse projects and help with the promotion and community development. It would be great to work with the microprofile project. From what I can tell there is a great community and a lot of great ideas.  I look forward to working with you.

Ian Skerrett

John Clingan

Apr 20, 2017, 7:22:01 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile
Comments inline

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:52:11 AM UTC-7, csaa...@redhat.com wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get your feedback on the following:

1) Eclipse has offered to host MicroProfile (uP) at their booth at JavaOne and would like to share booth cost among uP community members. This would be in addition to any MicroProfile promotion by uP community members at our own booths at JavaOne. I’d like to know what you think.  Also, who would be interested in sharing booth cost with Eclipse foundation? Approximate booth cost is about $12K USD for a 10x10 booth with 2 pedestals. Eclipse could cover half the booth cost so our contributions would go toward the remaining $6K USD.

I like the idea - microprofile at booths and in a standalone booth.

2) Also, although Eclipse will have their own folks to staff their booth throughout the conference, they don’t have any SMEs on uP so we would need to provide uP SMEs (plus presentation and possibly a demo) to staff the MicroProfile stand (pedestal) at the Eclipse booth at JavaOne. Resources are usually scheduled in 2-hr blocks. We can work on this as the event approaches and reach out to our community for volunteers.

I can step in for a couple of sessions.

3) About uP swag to have available at the Eclipse booth, we (uP community members) would need to share this cost.  I’m thinking that all swag could be vendor-neutral so that we can use it at the Eclipse booth as well as our own booths.  What do you think?

Yeah, vendor (and community org) neutral. The Waving Duke MicroProfile t-shirt was a big, big hit last year. I vote we print more of those. Image attached, and perhaps with Eclipse and MicroProfile logos on the back.

4) Lastly, I’d like to set up a Google hangout for some time next week for our community to meet Ian Skerrett from Eclipse.  So please bring your questions.  Here are some possible times (all times in US EDT) for this hangout, please vote for the best date/time and I’ll set up accordingly:

Monday, April 24, 2017 - before 10:30am,12:30pm-3pm and 4pm-5pm EDT

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10am-12noon, 2pm-5pm EDT

Thursday April 27, 2017 - 12pm-5pm EDT

I probably won't be able to attend since I'll be heads-down preparing for Red Hat summit. I'll leave it in your very capable hands :-)
MicroProfile_Waving_Duke.png

John Clingan

Apr 20, 2017, 7:29:10 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile
On Apr 20, 2017, at 4:22 PM, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:

Comments inline

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 6:52:11 AM UTC-7, csaa...@redhat.com wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I would like to get your feedback on the following:

1) Eclipse has offered to host MicroProfile (uP) at their booth at JavaOne and would like to share booth cost among uP community members. This would be in addition to any MicroProfile promotion by uP community members at our own booths at JavaOne. I’d like to know what you think.  Also, who would be interested in sharing booth cost with Eclipse foundation? Approximate booth cost is about $12K USD for a 10x10 booth with 2 pedestals. Eclipse could cover half the booth cost so our contributions would go toward the remaining $6K USD.

I like the idea - microprofile at booths and in a standalone booth.

Errr, I didn’t mean “standalone”, I meant “vendor neutral” :-)

[...]

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 24, 2017, 7:05:06 PM4/24/17
to MicroProfile
Hello All,

While my access to the Microprofile calendar is still being worked on, I'd like to invite everyone to a Q&A session with Ian Skerrett from Eclipse about their hosting MicroProfile at their booth during JavaOne this coming Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11am EDT US.  Please bring your questions. Here's the call information:
==========

To join the Meeting:

https://bluejeans.com/2560418143

To join via Browser:

https://bluejeans.com/2560418143/browser

To join with Lync:

https://bluejeans.com/2560418143/lync

To join via Room System:

Video Conferencing System: bjn.vc -or-199.48.152.152

Meeting ID : 2560418143

To join via phone :

1)  Just want to dial in on your phone?  +1 408.915.6466

    (https://redhat.com/en/conference-numbers)

2)  Enter Conference ID : 2560418143

===========

Talk to you all this coming Friday at 11am EDT,

Ian Robinson

Apr 25, 2017, 11:39:07 AM4/25/17
to MicroProfile
These are all good - I'll work with our marketing folks in IBM to help support them.

Amelia Eiras

Apr 25, 2017, 9:07:57 PM4/25/17
to MicroProfile, Marketing, mark...@hazelcast.com, Kevin Cox, Ian Robinson, Dominika Tasarz-Sochacka, Mike Milinkovich, Wayne Beaton
Hola Cesar, welcome to MP,  Amelia from Tomitribe here!

To All:

-------  First: I am requesting immediate cancellation on the marketing calls scheduled for this week on Java1 SFO and MP marketing activities.

Reasons
  • MP has yet to establish its business side under the Eclipse Contributors and how it will operate sections such Marketing, Design, Blogging,  Conferences Sessions, and group activities such as shared booth at Java1-SFO etc.
  • This thread has failed to reach many of the parties, who are want to  participate on the business aspects of MP.  Me included, I only knew about this  thread after  a private forward about it.
  • what about none Vendor active contributors, individuals,  who are not companies yet they can and want to participate- focus on not-code efforts for MP.
 Currently marketing Vendors by name:

  • You, Cesar from RedHat.
  • Kevin from Hazelcast (HZ) has agreed to dedicate time and resources to MP marketing activities.  HZ emails added to cc. NOW,  Kevin is attending GIDS conference right now, India, and not able to attend this week's calls.
  • Ian from IBM has written on this thread that he could be the marketing connector for IBM- Thanks Ian.
  • Guessing Dominika from Payara as marketing liaison... girl, please correct me if this assumption is wrong. Lets adjust as we do. :)
  • Theresa from Tomitribe,   we prefer to use  mark...@tomitribe.com for all future marketing threads.
  1. We need to create a Business git or whatever is available under Eclipse that helps MP business side to work openly & effecienly.
Kevin & John question for you:

 who are we speaking with Fujitsu, SouJava, JLC, KumulizEE? ....

To the 4 of you, without pressure-  would you want to join MP business activities, such as marketing?

------

Participating on MP business contributions is currently voluntary, there are no legal partnership contracts.   Any of us is most welcomed to join or opt-out.

-------Second:  MP  needs to set up 2nd contributors group, named Business Commiters.

We have spoken enough about this, privately and openly. Lets move forward and include under this section: marketing, design, bloggers, etc

Wayne/Mike- what do we need to do to start MP Contributors re-org?

  • Mike during DevoxxUS confirmed that my eclipse account is ready since Jan 11th, 2017- what is the hold-up not only with my account but also with Tomitribe as a Partner?
  • Kevin (HZ) will create account, he needs to added  to Business
  • Theresa will create account, she needs to be added to business
  • anyone else who will participate on behalf of a partner ought to create an Eclipse account
Doing so will fasciliate business contributors to have access to MP systems under Eclipse and also Git,

  • Blog get updated to include the PR created by Mike from Payara about first MP blogs upon announcing from last summer.
  • Marketing has a space to openly wrote on documents and update wedsite accordantly
  • Calendar, Eclipse provides the infra, who has access to that calendar aside from Heiko?  How do we give access to marketing members, they will need access

Thank you all for adding more value to this email, looking forward to hearing more voices,

Kevin Sutter

Apr 26, 2017, 9:42:28 AM4/26/17
to MicroProfile, mark...@tomitribe.com, mark...@hazelcast.com, ke...@hazelcast.com, ian_ro...@uk.ibm.com, dominik...@payara.fish, mike.mil...@eclipse.org, wayne....@eclipse.org
Amelia,
Thank you for your passion!  But, we can't just cancel these calls.  We have to continue to move on our marketing message to allow enough time to organize our efforts for JavaOne.  You and others are more than welcome to join these calls.  That's why they are posted publicly to get the necessary input from interested parties.  Nobody is trying to exclude anybody.  We're trying to get input from anyone with a vested interested in making MicroProfile succeed.

Thank you,
Kevin

P.S.  The "business committer" (or working group idea) will not happen overnight.  I'm fine with starting and participating in that conversation.  But, that should be in parallel to this marketing effort for JavaOne.

John Clingan

Apr 26, 2017, 9:43:04 AM4/26/17

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 6:07:57 PM UTC-7, Amelia Eiras wrote:
Hola Cesar, welcome to MP,  Amelia from Tomitribe here!

To All:

-------  First: I am requesting immediate cancellation on the marketing calls scheduled for this week on Java1 SFO and MP marketing activities.

Reasons
  • MP has yet to establish its business side under the Eclipse Contributors and how it will operate sections such Marketing, Design, Blogging,  Conferences Sessions, and group activities such as shared booth at Java1-SFO etc.
  • This thread has failed to reach many of the parties, who are want to  participate on the business aspects of MP.  Me included, I only knew about this  thread after  a private forward about it.
Honestly, the thread has reached whoever participates the forums, you included.

Ameila, based on our conversation at Devoxx.us, you wanted to ensure we have public conversations around business and not a collection of side 1:1 conversations so we can *all* participate. This group is the forum for public conversations. We have no other public forum so this is the means that we notify everyone, and Cesar even put [MARKETING] in the subject line. My recommendation is that we all stay pretty tuned in to these forums since this is the primary means that we all communicate.
[...]

I will be meeting with Fujitsu next week since at Red Hat Summit.  Otherwise, I speak to whoever participates in the forums.

John Clingan

Apr 26, 2017, 10:14:59 AM4/26/17
to MicroProfile, mark...@tomitribe.com, mark...@hazelcast.com, ke...@hazelcast.com, ian_ro...@uk.ibm.com, dominik...@payara.fish, mike.mil...@eclipse.org, wayne....@eclipse.org

Note, I did cc Kevin [Hazelcast] in the logo thread and invited others in the text, and David replied there as well. David, meet Amelia. Amelia, meet David :-)

Amelia Eiras

Apr 26, 2017, 1:44:55 PM4/26/17
to John Clingan, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, Marketing, mark...@hazelcast.com, Kevin Jens Cox, Ian Robinson, Dominika Tasarz-Sochacka, Mike Milinkovich, Wayne Beaton, Antonio Goncalves, Ivan Ivanov, John D. Ament, Mark Struberg, Mike Croft, Mark Little, David Blevins, Greg Luck, Martijn Verburg, Ondrej Mihalyi, matjaz...@gmail.com, Bruno Souza, Adam Bien, Cesar Saavedra
Buenos dias everyone,

I am taking an unpopular stand because it is necessary. It has nothing to do with how passionate or not I am.

By moving forward with Java1SFO chat (conf is 6 months away), we are deciding to  divert MP focus from previews feedback that ought to take priority,  example:

  • https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microprofile/JYHj6bJvErY    Thread started on March 18th, 2017, no changes yet.  Lets be kinder and remember that not everyone will come into open, like I do,  and tell us what they think and where they see issues that are worth our attention.
  • Can we create a survey that will allow members to give constant feedback on how MP is doing by sections? There is nothing more sobering for an OSS Project such as MP that getting constant feedback, some when repeated enough, cannot be ignored.
  •   I, as many others also wonder, where did the need for MP to revamp its imagine come from? Please explain where/how.
     The issue with those news is that thread lacks transparency. Did we create a MP Logo survey asking opinions about it? If we didn’t,
     lets do it and hear from the Community.

———

MP needs to forge its strategic agility.  Business MP ought not be the same as Code MP.  We need different systems that align themselves and operate independently yet in parallel with 1 vision, depending on the task at hand.  The two sections ought be scalable and delegation is key.

Writing is dry, my apologies if any of you feel attacked, my feedback is focused on talk at hand not the individuals.

Cheers,

John Clingan

Apr 26, 2017, 2:22:40 PM4/26/17
to Amelia Eiras, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, Marketing, mark...@hazelcast.com, Kevin Jens Cox, Ian Robinson, Dominika Tasarz-Sochacka, Antonio Goncalves, Ivan Ivanov, John D. Ament, Mark Struberg, Mike Croft, Mark Little, David Blevins, Greg Luck, Martijn Verburg, Ondrej Mihalyi, Matjaz B. Juric, Bruno Souza, Adam Bien, Cesar Saavedra
Moving Mike and Wayne to bcc. Not sure that works with Google Groups, but we’ll find out :-)

On Apr 26, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Amelia Eiras <aei...@tomitribe.com> wrote:

Buenos dias everyone,

I am taking an unpopular stand because it is necessary. It has nothing to do with how passionate or not I am.

By moving forward with Java1SFO chat (conf is 6 months away), we are deciding to  divert MP focus from previews feedback that ought to take priority,  example:

For the record, we encourage all kinds of feedback - good, bad, and ugly (well, in a respectful way :-) ). We’re nice people :-)

  • Can we create a survey that will allow members to give constant feedback on how MP is doing by sections? There is nothing more sobering for an OSS Project such as MP that getting constant feedback, some when repeated enough, cannot be ignored.

Sounds like a great effort for the marketing folks. Please start and lead a survey discussion thread.

  •   I, as many others also wonder, where did the need for MP to revamp its imagine come from? Please explain where/how.
     The issue with those news is that thread lacks transparency. Did we create a MP Logo survey asking opinions about it? If we didn’t,
     lets do it and hear from the Community.

That’s a good question for the Marketing folks. Probably best to have the discussion on the logo thread.

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 28, 2017, 12:10:51 PM4/28/17
to MicroProfile

Here are my notes from our call earlier today (April 28, 2017). Thank you to all that attended.

=======

April 28, 2017

Call with Eclipse about their hosting MicroProfile at their booth at JavaOne (Oct 2017)

Attendees: Ian Skerrett (Eclipse), Theresa (Tomitribe), Kat (Eclipse), Ryan St. James (Tomitribe), Cesar (Red Hat)

Kat:

Showcase and feature in virtual meet-up leading up to JavaOne. What do we need to provide to Eclipse to host this virtual meet-up?

Thirsty Bear - Oracle reserved it already

Oracle JavaOne will be at Moscone

Theresa: other possible options:

- Museum Modern Art

- The W Hotel

Ian: We need to start working on finding a place quickly for the evening event.  Theresa: Also it has to happen while not many other parties/events are going on at same time.

Tomitribe - Bain Capital (VC corporation for tech companies) offices - event last year (2016) - networking event - DJ from UK playing music.  "PartyOne - Pokemon in 2016". Theme can change for this year. There were sponsors that organized this event. Hazelcast was a sponsor last year.

For JavaOne booth, we would send contribution to Eclipse foundation.  Eclipse would contract booth directly with Oracle.

Right now, Eclipse doesn’t have a booth reserved.

Hoodies and t-shirts were shared costs last year (2016). Stickers cost absorbed by each vendor. T-shirts cost can be shared among uP vendors. Hoodies could be at the Eclipse booth, the last stop of the sticker hunt.

Schedule for SMEs at booth will be put together by Eclipse.

AI:

- Kat will put together a budget for booth, 500 t-shirts and make available to community. Eclipse will need a commitment from community members ASAP after Kat makes budget available so that they can go ahead and reserve booth.

- Reach out to Paul to discuss having evening event at Bain and theme it MicroProfile. Organize another to call to finalize evening event.

- Find out what Red Hat did last year for hoodies (they were very successful). How many hoodies were made?

=======

Amelia Eiras

Apr 28, 2017, 1:29:56 PM4/28/17
to Cesar Saavedra, MicroProfile
Happy Friday everyone,

Clarifying below sentence:

"Reach out to Paul to discuss having evening event at Bain and theme it MicroProfile. Organize another to call to finalize evening event.”

There is none to reach out and nothing to finalize with respect to PartyOne 2017.
PartyOne 2017 planning with current Partners have not started.  Its planning will start start likely in June.

Thanks for update Cesar,

csaa...@redhat.com

Apr 28, 2017, 1:56:20 PM4/28/17
to MicroProfile, csaa...@redhat.com
Amelia,

I am aware that Tomitribe organizes that event.  My conversation with Paul was going to be about whether or not we should be a sponsor to your event.

Cesar

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 3, 2017, 4:41:02 PM5/3/17
to MicroProfile
Hi,

Here is a budget for a JavaOne booth.

- $14000 for a 10x10 booth, includes space, furniture, signage, AV, etc.
- $17500 for 500 t-shirts and 500 hoodies based on $10/t-shirt and $25/hoodie

Total Cost: $31,500

The Eclipse Foundation would be willing to fund half ($7K) of the booth cost since we would also show other Eclipse projects in the booth. Depending on how many companies who would like to participate, the rest of the cost could share this cost equally across these companies.

Ian

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 8, 2017, 1:18:41 PM5/8/17
to MicroProfile
FWIW, I would really like to proceed on at least the booth. If there are 3 companies willing to contribute $2500 for the booth, we can proceed with booking it. We can deal with the t-shirts later.

Ian

csaa...@redhat.com

May 8, 2017, 1:31:50 PM5/8/17
to MicroProfile
Hi Ian,

Red Hat would like to be one of the 3 contributors.

Ian Robinson

May 9, 2017, 11:24:53 AM5/9/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com, nag...@us.ibm.com
I'd like to introduce Nancy Agosta from IBM - she will be participating in the marketing discussions for IBM, starting with this one.  More soon,
Ian

- Ian

nancy.ag...@gmail.com

May 13, 2017, 8:28:21 AM5/13/17
to MicroProfile, nag...@us.ibm.com
Hi Ian:
On behalf of the IBM Marketing team supporting this initiative, I would like to have IBM be one of the contributors for getting a booth.
Thanks,
Nancy

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 19, 2017, 12:40:27 AM5/19/17
to MicroProfile, nag...@us.ibm.com
Hi Nancy,

Apologies for the delayed response. Great to hear IBM will participate.

Now we just need one more company.  Is there any other company that is willing to help sponsor a microprofile booth at JavaOne?

Ian

Theresa Nguyen

May 19, 2017, 6:59:30 PM5/19/17
to MicroProfile, nag...@us.ibm.com
Hi Ian,

Tomitribe would like to contribute to the MicroProfile booth at JavaOne.

We should inquire with each participating company for the quantities of shirts and hoodies they're interested in.

-Theresa

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 23, 2017, 11:17:19 AM5/23/17
to MicroProfile, nag...@us.ibm.com
Theresa

Great news. That means we have our 3 companies so we will proceed to book the JavaOne booth.  I will follow-up via email on the details. I agree the next step will also be to figure out the hoodies and t-shirts.

If there are other companies that would like to participate please let me know.

Regards
Ian

Mark Little

May 23, 2017, 11:22:32 AM5/23/17
to ian.sk...@eclipse.org, MicroProfile, nag...@us.ibm.com
For the JavaOne booth and the presentations happening there: What would we demo? Given feedback I gave from DevoxxUK I'm hoping it would be something developer focussed and not a recording of a panel session :) Maybe we could look at something like:

From what I heard, the session was very well attended. But it could be anything really as long as we focus on what value MicroProfile brings to developers.

Mark.

Ondrej Mihályi

May 23, 2017, 4:37:09 PM5/23/17
to MicroProfile
Hi, Ian,

Payara Services would like to participate too. We're one of the founding members of MicroProfile and we'd certainly want to support this activity.
I hope that Dominika from our marketing department will contact you soon. If not, feel free to send more info to me directly.

--Ondrej

Amelia Eiras

May 23, 2017, 5:02:38 PM5/23/17
to Ondrej Mihalyi, MicroProfile
the more the merrier, how pretty awesome status Ondrej and Payara Team :)

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 24, 2017, 11:24:17 AM5/24/17
to MicroProfile, ian.sk...@eclipse.org, nag...@us.ibm.com
Mark, we will definitely need to put together a plan for what are the key messages and demo for microprofile in the booth at JavaOne. I would suggest that we build a JavaOne plan off a larger microprofile marketing plan.

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

May 24, 2017, 11:25:11 AM5/24/17
to MicroProfile
Ondrej,

Great to hear. I will follow-up with an email.

Ian