Common (code) style / formatting ?

Heiko Rupp

Aug 4, 2017, 5:18:44 AM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey,

I probably just missed this: do we have some common style rules for code created for Microprofile?
Something like checkstyle rules and editor config files that help with having some unified style
across the projects?
Or is this not wanted / desired ?

Thanks
  Heiko

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 4, 2017, 12:20:21 PM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I have just copied what was in the Config project was using for the check style rules:
https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/blob/master/pom.xml

It would be nice if we could codify that in IDE specific style configuration in a common repository as well.

Heiko Rupp

Aug 4, 2017, 12:33:11 PM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
There is http://editorconfig.org that can define the formats and which the major IDEs understand

The other option is to use the Eclipse IDE .project(?) file, which Idea can also import iirc.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 4, 2017, 2:46:20 PM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
It looks like the Config project has a version of that as well:

John D. Ament

Aug 4, 2017, 3:44:47 PM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I would prefer to stick with .editorconfig and potentially an importable eclipse settings file, as long as the settings all are importable to IDEA.  Somewhere that we can define standard file headers would be super useful.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 4, 2017, 5:58:05 PM8/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Why don't we create a microprofile-conventions repo were we can have canonical examples of everything, including the various file types license headers, editor configs, etc.

Heiko Rupp

Aug 7, 2017, 4:46:02 AM8/7/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Sounds like a good idea. That could even be used as a "template" for all new repos afterwards.