Microprofile Reference Implementation

Jobinesh Purushothaman

Dec 6, 2018, 9:54:10 AM12/6/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi

I am new to MicroProfile and trying to learn the offerings.

I can see quite a few  implementations over here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/MicroProfile/Implementation . A couple of questions:
1. Is there implementation listed here considered as  reference implementation covering all MicroProfile spec ?
2. Has anyone started using the MicroProfile based services in production ( without an app/web container )? If yes, which implementation is used? Could you please share your experience (and also nature of use case).

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
Jobinesh

Ken Finnigan

Dec 6, 2018, 3:01:19 PM12/6/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Jobinesh,

Welcome to the group!

MicroProfile doesn't have the concept of a "Reference Implementation", so it differs from Java EE in that respect.

There are several users of Thorntail using it in production, based on comments in the projects forum, but I don't have concrete details

Ken

Emily Jiang

Dec 6, 2018, 6:00:08 PM12/6/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Jobinesh,

In addition to what Ken said, here (https://wiki.eclipse.org/MicroProfile/Adoptions) is the page containing the users who used MicroProfile for production. These are just the customers who are willing to have their names mentioned. Due to NDA issues, some customers do not want to have their names listed.

Anyway, you get the points. Since most of MicroProfile impls are open source, it is difficult to figure out who are the customers.

Thanks
Emily

Phillip Krüger

Dec 7, 2018, 2:41:02 AM12/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Jobinesh.

We are using Thorntail in Production for some of our newer services. We are slowly migrating from WebSphere and Wildfly to thorntail. Before MicroProfile we used some of the concepts either by coding it ourselfs or using 3rd Party libs. So a lot of what we do now is deleting code and removing dependencies. (It's great !)

Our use case is (on a high level) we give discount and rewards to members for certain behaivior.

I gave a talk on this that goes into more details if you are interested:

Cheers

Emily Jiang

Dec 7, 2018, 5:38:44 AM12/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks for sharing your use case!

By the way, Jobinesh, you are free to choose any runtime mentioned in the wiki. If you want to try out MicroProfile 2.0, which was based on Java EE8 (CDI 2.0, JAX-RS 2.1, JSON-P 1.1, JSON-B 1.0), you can either try Open Liberty 18.0.0.3 or Payara 183. I believe other runtimes are on the process of implementing MicroProfile 2.0 as well.

We are also in the process of creating start.microprofile.io to auto generate MicroProfile-enabled Microservices. Stay tuned!

Feel free to bring your questions here on MicroProfile. Hope this will encourage you to try out MicroProfile for production and feel free to choose any runtime from the implementation list!

Thanks
Emily

Phillip Krüger

Dec 7, 2018, 5:47:53 AM12/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Jobinesh.

Just to be clear (as my message below might give you the wrong idea) , the fact that we are migrating to thorntail is just an internal decition. We used to be on Full Application Servers (like WebSphere and Wildfly) but wanted to use a "fat jar" type solution.
After long discussion and a vote we ended up on thorntail, however all the other implementations are just as good.

(You will see in demo that I am using more than thorntail).

Wildfly Full are also now starting to support MicroProfile and WebSphere Liberty and OpenLiberty are exelent options for both full or "fat jar" type servers. Similarly Payara and Payara micro. You will have to decide for your self.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers

Jobinesh Purushothaman

Dec 8, 2018, 2:19:43 PM12/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you everyone for your responses. It really helps.