Server-id-spec

Heiko Rupp

Jun 8, 2018, 7:36:40 AM6/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey,
I was wondering if we should (this could be part of health, metrics or a separate spec) introduce a way to easily identify the server used and perhaps also some kind of configuration.

id:
  - name: thorntail-2
    version: 2.3.4-rc15
  - config:
      - jdk: openjdk9+hotspot
        jdk-version: 9.1.2
     - garbage-collector: g1

All of this is only read-only and could perhaps also include the VM flags, just like what jconsole emits for VM Summary
(probably not all of it)

On top, it could also list the applications deployed (name, version, context-root).

For developers this is probably all less interesting, but for observability-tooling, this gets more interesting - especially when the server runs inside a container

WDYT?

Alasdair Nottingham

Jun 8, 2018, 7:47:18 AM6/8/18
to 'Emily Jiang' via Eclipse MicroProfile
It seems like the kind of information I’d want to not reveal about the server running a service.

Alasdair

Edwin Derks

Jun 8, 2018, 7:50:25 AM6/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yeah, well... at least not public

Ladislav Thon

Jun 8, 2018, 8:12:24 AM6/8/18
to MicroProfile
Parts of this (certainly you can infer what GC is in use) are already exposed via MP Metrics. I'm not sure if Metrics or Health are a good fit for this info, as this info is fairly static, while Metrics and Health are more dynamic, but adding it to Metrics would make sense to me.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about exposing this kind of info publicly, but at the same time, I believe neither Health nor Metrics are supposed to be exposed publicly and following suit here makes sense. (Technically, I think both Health and Metrics specs don't say anything about how the endpoints should be exposed, and maybe they should, as a non-normative text?)

LT

Yeah, well... at least not public

Heiko Rupp

Jun 8, 2018, 9:34:12 AM6/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Am Freitag, 8. Juni 2018 13:47:18 UTC+2 schrieb Alasdair Nottingham:
It seems like the kind of information I’d want to not reveal about the server running a service.

It was not intended to have this publicly available, but rather for in-datacenter or in-K8s cluster usage. At the end, one with enough privileges can also ssh into a container and run ps and all that other magic.

Werner Keil

Jun 13, 2018, 3:26:39 PM6/13/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Shouldn't this rather be exposed in a proper way through MP Config or the Config JSR in future?

Which does not force a single format like YAML (as in this case), JSON, Properties or XML, it abstracts that.

Emily Jiang

Jun 15, 2018, 10:01:08 AM6/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
IIUC Heiko, you are suggesting in the BASE metrics, you would like to put the running server, version, jvm info there so that all MP Metrics impls need to provide this info, so that K8S might potentially rely on it. Each app server has this info anyway.

Werner, it is display only not inputting info. Therefore, no related to MP Config.

Thanks
Emily

Heiko Rupp

Jun 19, 2018, 3:29:39 AM6/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Exactly. It could be exposed in the metrics spec or in a different spec.

Emily Jiang

Jun 19, 2018, 6:37:45 AM6/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1. I think it is a useful metrics.