MicroProfile Zoom trolls

Emily Jiang

Apr 17, 2020, 6:28:22 AM4/17/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
During our MP Config weekly call yesterday, a few trolls joined our call, shouted and made a lot of noises to interrupt our conversation. Unfortunately, we have not got the host code, so we could not remove or mute them.

Since our MP Zoom link is freely available on the internet, anyone can join. Some kids without schooling have nothing better to do but gang up to do this kind of mischief. I am wondering whether someone else has encountered the same issues.

I am wondering whether we can get more hosts to be assigned to MP Zoom account. The other idea is to use altenative meeting platform, such as webex. Thoughts?

Thanks
Emily

Michael Redlich

Apr 17, 2020, 6:38:46 AM4/17/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily:

I recently joined a Micronaut webinar via Zoom and there was a troll who was posting non-diverse comments on chat.  Jeff Scott Brown was able to shut him/her down and stated that he knows this person.  I'm not sure how Jeff was able to shut down the troll, but maybe it's worth reaching out to him.

I've heard this was an issue and I got to witness it first-hand.  It's a shame that some people get their thrills this way.

Best regards,

Mike.

Code, Write, Cycle, Run, Drink, Sleep ... Repeat
InfoQ Java Queue Editor
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Roberto Cortez

Apr 17, 2020, 6:56:07 AM4/17/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
He was probably the host or had permissions to do it.

As a host, you can kick people or mute them directly. The issue with the Config Zoom is that none in the meeting had host or similar permissions to do it.

Does anyone have access to the Eclipse Zoom account and check how the meetings rooms are set, and pass down host privileges to the spec leads?

Cheers,
Roberto

Emily Jiang

Apr 17, 2020, 7:00:54 AM4/17/20
to MicroProfile
Thanks Mike! Roberto was correct that host has the super power to remove the trolls. Hence, in my email, I asked for the host access right to the MP zoom account. I was told in the past MicroProfile zoom account only allows 2 people to access the host password, which are John and Kevin.

Due to the current circumstances, can the host power be spread to individual spec lead as suggested by Roberto?

Thanks
Emily

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Eclipse MicroProfile" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/74C52313-ED5F-4587-A877-6560C8A1B414%40yahoo.com.

--
Thanks
Emily

Edwin Derks

Apr 17, 2020, 7:03:44 AM4/17/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Since I hear a lot of Zoom-related issues lately, is it an alternative viable solution to just stop using Zoom and find a similar alternative that is better in resisting trolls?

Edwin

Roberto Cortez

Apr 17, 2020, 8:16:16 AM4/17/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
The issue is not Zoom itself. We want to be open and allow anyone to join the meetings, so links to join the meeting are publicly available.

The same thing may happen with any another platform. We just need to have something that allows us to remove trolls if they show up.

John Clingan

Apr 17, 2020, 4:39:12 PM4/17/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Pffft, that's not mischief! You should see path of destruction I left behind me from back in the day, LOL :-)

More to the point, we'll have to work out a way to give out the access code. The marketing team just started to use the zoom id. What we have to do is make sure that we are not scheduling over each other. When I asked the PMC, no-one was tracking its use. "Use the built-in Zoom calendar".

Using the built-in calendar is a really good idea, actually, because that zoom ID is not limited to MicroProfile. It's any project under the Technology PMC. Lemme get the existing meetings in the Zoom calendar and then we can chat about adding Config (and anyone else). Managing the host password securely is going to be important.

Mike Milinkovich

Apr 22, 2020, 11:43:30 AM4/22/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com

I'm very sorry to hear that one of our community calls were zoombombed. Unfortunately, having meetings which are open to all makes them vulnerable to this kind of antisocial behaviour.

FWIW, I found this article contained some helpful tips: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/stop-zoom-bombing

Hope it helps.

Emily Jiang

Apr 22, 2020, 5:51:42 PM4/22/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks Mike!
The issue is that only zoom hosts can remove the intruders or mute them, but I don't have the host code for the MP zoom call. In MP, only John and Kevin have the host code, even though most spec calls use the same MP Zoom account. I am wondering whether the zoom host code can be distributed among the MP individual spec groups.

Thanks
Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microp...@googlegroups.com.

Ebuzer Taha Kanat

Apr 22, 2020, 7:07:11 PM4/22/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Why not using https://jitsi.org/ Emily it is based on Java, opensource and they are about to implement E2E.

John Clingan

Apr 22, 2020, 7:13:37 PM4/22/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Emily, note that Mike was replying to my post. Let me get our existing meetings listed in the zoom account and then we can share the zoom account with component spec leads that need it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/b0ad3ae3-5161-446a-8762-8749e2509b9e%40googlegroups.com.

Emily Jiang

Apr 23, 2020, 5:00:52 AM4/23/20
to MicroProfile
Great, Thanks John!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/DBE5DFEB-4348-401B-9BEB-10E7E2436322%40redhat.com.

--
Thanks
Emily

Werner Keil

May 12, 2020, 3:53:08 PM5/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I heard about Jitsi or BigBlueButton, both Open Source and written mostly in Java yesterday at a Meetup.

Of course that would have to be a decision for all of Eclipse Foundation to host their Jitsi servers and the organizers of yesterday's Meetup (where some attendees also mentioned Zoom calls that were hijacked by weirdos and spammers who shared porn or other stuff) highlighed, it is not always easy to virtualize those on docker without losing performance and scalability.

Werner