Initial draft of the architecture group guidelines

Scott Stark

Jun 11, 2018, 1:27:41 PM6/11/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I have created a couple of wiki pages for the main action item from our first group meeting a little over a week ago.
https://wiki.eclipse.org/MicroProfile/ArchitectureGroup - description of group purpose with links to meeting notes and output
https://wiki.eclipse.org/MicroProfile/ArchGuidelines - the main output of the architecture group.

The meeting notes has an "Agenda Items for Next Meeting" section that can be updated to manage a list of potential topics for upcoming meetings. We are planning on having a roughly monthly meeting with ongoing discussion on this group as action items from the meeting.

Feedback welcome.

Ondro Mihályi

Jun 11, 2018, 5:50:37 PM6/11/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

Thanks for creating the wiki pages, Scott.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the last Architecture Board hangout. Going through the minutes and the wiki pages, i want to question the conslusion made about using CDI.

My main concern is that the conclusion isn't in line with our previous CDI-first strategy. CDI is part of MicroProfile from day one, it was chosen as the main programming model of MicroProfile in the beginning, and to change that we should have valid and important reasons. Supporting Spring, Guava, Java SE is not a reason important enough to prefer non-CDI APIs first as we can always add support for them after we design an API based on CDI. I'm afraid that the order specified in the minutes poses a high risk that CDI API added after Java SE/@Inject API would be crippled.

Please, don't reply in this thread but separately in this issue I've created:

--Ondro

Emily Jiang

Jun 15, 2018, 9:37:17 AM6/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1 on Ondro! I have responded on the thread. I was not able to join the call last week. Let's revisit this in the next meeting.

Emily