Getting more participation on calls / logo unveiling

David Blevins

Jul 11, 2017, 3:46:18 PM7/11/17
to MicroProfile
We have the bi-weekly MicroProfile calls and have sorted out the issues that prevented us from inviting everyone.

Goal: get as much of the world to join them as possible

We should have 20+ people on that thing.  Every time we get together more widely, good things happen.  People feel more welcome to throw out crazy ideas vocally and test the waters before putting energy into text.  We talk about JWTs, we dream up config and it’s where things are bootstrapped.  It’s the spark, the kindling is the mailing list and the code repos are the wood.

An major obstacle to getting people to attend is asking people to join a bi-weekly meeting is a time commitment most won’t find attractive, so the discussion turned to “how could we get them to attend even one?”

We coalesced that we probably need to pick a date and make it in some way special and hope that this motivates them to attend other meetings.

We have a logo vote going on, so unveiling the winner could be our “something special.”  The worm on the hook, so to speak :)  Of course the main content, the hook, needs to be a mix of technical, how to get involved and community focused.   Some status of what we’re doing.  We’d save the unveiling till the end so we ensure everyone stays for the real intent of the hour, getting more people into the community.

So here we are kicking things off on the mailing list.  The spark of the idea is not being applied to kindling :)

First, what are people’s thoughts?  Do we want to try and push harder for meeting attendance by occasionally making a meeting “special” in some way?

There are obvious timing issues, namely the vote already has an end date and it’s probably not enough time to put something together.  We’d either need to 1) move darn fast, 2) move the date, 3) pick a different “worm" or 4) just try without a “worm"

Emily Jiang

Jul 11, 2017, 4:08:52 PM7/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile

I think time is a problem as the time is pretty late in Europe. Maybe we should run another voting to get a better time slot for people across the globe. Maybe move 2 hours earlier?

Emily

Ondrej Mihályi

Jul 12, 2017, 4:33:12 PM7/12/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I also think that many people don't attend because the time isn't suitable for them.

What about setting an alternate time of the day and alternate between them? E.g. Tue 6pm GMT, then the next one Tue 3pm GMT, then the next one again Tue 6pm
(6pm is too late in Europe, 3pm is maybe too early for US, but both are still reasonable for both regions)

I know it would be harder to remember for those who attend it regularly. But for those who just want to attend from time to time, they could more easily find a hangout that fits their schedule.

--Ondro

Mark Little

Jul 12, 2017, 11:51:05 PM7/12/17
to Ondrej Mihályi, Eclipse MicroProfile
I think we’ll never find a time that is suitable for everyone. We’ve seen the same problems with the JCP EC meetings. I’ve seen similar problems with W3C, OASIS and other efforts. We could change the time for alternate meetings to make it easier for the West Coast versus EMEA but if we fixate on the time then I don’t believe we’ll see much better attendance overall.

However, perhaps there are things such as what David suggested, which we could do to help attendance. I’d also include having an agenda published several days beforehand in that list, along with the ability for the attendees to finalise some decisions. If we want more people to attend then the meeting should become a natural extension of the mailing list with things happening on it which make a difference and require attendance. Otherwise it’s just a nice-to-have and attendance will be optional.

Mark.

Amelia Eiras

Jul 13, 2017, 12:47:41 PM7/13/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, ondrej....@gmail.com
Hola #usualsuspects Mark & everyone,

Great feedback +1 to:

  • having ahead of time "written minutes", at least ~ 4 days before the call 100% +1
  • working agenda with core topics being worked that can be solvable via the gforum yet could be discussed during call sounds even better.
  • MP is a global community, asynchronously working while also collaborating with each other means we need to align tasks, understand the value & communicate while executing to avoid wasting time and vacuum working
  • a bit more discipline on the value of any MP call will benefit everyone & help organize attendance by preference also
Cheers with coffee,

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 8:51:05 PM UTC-7, Mark Little wrote:
I think we’ll never find a time that is suitable for everyone. We’ve seen the same problems with the JCP EC meetings. I’ve seen similar problems with W3C, OASIS and other efforts. We could change the time for alternate meetings to make it easier for the West Coast versus EMEA but if we fixate on the time then I don’t believe we’ll see much better attendance overall.

However, perhaps there are things such as what David suggested, which we could do to help attendance. I’d also include having an agenda published several days beforehand in that list, along with the ability for the attendees to finalise some decisions. If we want more people to attend then the meeting should become a natural extension of the mailing list with things happening on it which make a difference and require attendance. Otherwise it’s just a nice-to-have and attendance will be optional.

Mark.

> On 12 Jul 2017, at 21:33, Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I also think that many people don't attend because the time isn't suitable for them.
>
> What about setting an alternate time of the day and alternate between them? E.g. Tue 6pm GMT, then the next one Tue 3pm GMT, then the next one again Tue 6pm
> (6pm is too late in Europe, 3pm is maybe too early for US, but both are still reasonable for both regions)
>
> I know it would be harder to remember for those who attend it regularly. But for those who just want to attend from time to time, they could more easily find a hangout that fits their schedule.
>
> --Ondro

John Clingan

Jul 22, 2017, 12:41:23 PM7/22/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
With this thread in mind, what would folks like to see on the agenda in the next meeting?

Mark Little

Jul 22, 2017, 2:53:49 PM7/22/17
to John Clingan, Eclipse MicroProfile
Yes please.

> On 22 Jul 2017, at 17:41, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> With this thread in mind, what would folks like to see on the agenda in the next meeting?

John Clingan

Jul 22, 2017, 4:28:22 PM7/22/17
to Mark Little, Eclipse MicroProfile
That was in the form of a question :-)

Werner Keil

Jul 24, 2017, 4:39:03 AM7/24/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, markc...@gmail.com
It would be great to get those who can to merge  badly needed (and asked for) PRs a little faster than 30 days or more ;-/

Mark Little

Jul 25, 2017, 3:40:12 AM7/25/17
to John Clingan, Eclipse MicroProfile
One topic to consider: regular reporting on “working group” discussions. For instance, I know we’ve had a couple of attempts to kick around ideas on how messaging protocols and implementations might fit into MP. Similarly we’ve had some discussions on transactions. Yet I’ve not seen any updates on either for a while. Now it might mean things are going well and are being discussed away from the main group/list and will be reported back later. However, it could also mean that things have stopped due to lack of time, apparent lack of interest, lack of leadership, simply people not knowing how to get to the next step, or a host of other reasons. I’d hate to think we lose people, interest from them and organisations, or even lose important opportunities to add capabilities to MP. It may be impossible to make things work better than they do today but I’d like to try.

Mark.

On 22 Jul 2017, at 17:41, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:

With this thread in mind, what would folks like to see on the agenda in the next meeting?

---
Mark Little

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Jonathan Gallimore

Jul 25, 2017, 4:48:47 AM7/25/17
to Mark Little, John Clingan, Eclipse MicroProfile
+1

I'd love to be able to make the call, but the timing is difficult for me. As others have said, it'll be hard to find a time that works for everyone. A "working group" status would be great, particularly one that says "we need these things, any volunteers?".

Thanks

Jon

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Mark Little <mli...@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]

Ondrej Mihályi

Jul 25, 2017, 7:26:23 AM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, mli...@redhat.com, jcli...@redhat.com
I believe the main topic tonight should be MicroProfile 1.1

Since Config 1.0 is very close to be released (any day now) and MicroProfile 1.1 should follow very soon, we need to discuss how and what we will deliver and announce after they are released.

With Config, the "what" is quite clear: spec document, API, javadocs, TCK, although we may gather information about implementations that are ready or planned soon. It's also important to inform other parties like KumuluzEE how they can implement MicroProfile in their products - I felt from their last email that they don't know how to align their own config features with MicroProfile.

With MicroProfile 1.1, there are more unresolved things, but one important is the question "what are deliverables of MP 1.1?" Complete newcomers would expect a download section on the microprofile.io page or at least some information on getting started. People that understand what the project is about would look for a releases/getting started page, which would gather information about the functionality provided by MicroProfile (links to Javadocs, maven artifacts, included JSRs, requirements - Java 8, etc.) and I believe that external links to individual implementations would be also very helpful.

Then we should plan how we announce Config 1.0 and MicroProfile 1.1, e.g. with an official statement easily accessible from the front page of microprofile.io

--Ondro

Dňa utorok, 25. júla 2017 10:48:47 UTC+2 Jonathan Gallimore napísal(-a):
[...]

Emily Jiang

Jul 25, 2017, 8:42:22 AM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, mli...@redhat.com, jcli...@redhat.com
+1. I also would like to find out how soon the blog service is supported in MicroProfile.io. We need to announce it and blog it. Basically we need to agree on how best to promote our releases. If we have time, I also would like to discuss the MicroProfile Istio ecosystem.

Emily

Mike Croft

Jul 25, 2017, 8:58:57 AM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, mli...@redhat.com, jcli...@redhat.com
+1, particularly this:

one important is the question "what are deliverables of MP 1.1?" Complete newcomers would expect a download section on the microprofile.io page or at least some information on getting started.

I mentioned a while back about retiring the eclipse/microprofile repository as a source of information about the project. We could slightly redefine the purpose of this repository to document MicroProfile implementations in a standard way. E.g. if you want to use MicroProfile from Payara you need to...X, Y Z. This kind of detail doesn't fit in to the Eclipse Wiki (which, IMO, should be about the spec only) and the easiest way to include it in the MicroProfile.io website would be to add a site.yaml to the repo to index the asciidoc pages. We can discuss further tonight, or in a separate thread if needed.

Amelia Eiras

Jul 25, 2017, 3:57:53 PM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hola from SM everyone,

Today I was lucky to make it to the 1hr video MP hangout 11am PDT.  it was a fun & honest discussion!  The call was not technical focus, it was more of a priority setting - strategy agility conversation! :)

11 of us attending discussed ideas on how to enable a more proactive & engaging environment to bring forth MP updates to the current & future MicroProfilers  on Technical & Business matters.  Suggestions will be posted on this thread.

--- from my side, this week I joined the Eclipse Member quarterly video meet-up, it was a fantastic call due to its formidable discipline on sharing each topic:

  • compliance
  • technical
  • operations
  • marketing
  • etc
see below youtube channel about <~ 1hr:

I believe MP could follow Eclipse example, or at least try it once.  Holding a formal quarterly recorded & screened overview MP status could be of great value, specially when topics such are shared & can be checked at a later time by interested parties:

  • stats on new members joining the Google forum
  • stats on new Eclipse MP committers
  • stats on MP participation on conferences
  • releases
  • compliance
  • Finance
  • marketing
  • media
  • design
  • etc
Lastly, as mentioned before, I would like for us to start via git a MP CookBook --  a guideline on how to find MP data without being lost on the GForum.

Feedback, always welcomed!  Gracias

Ondro Mihályi

Jul 26, 2017, 12:29:28 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi, Amelia,

Great summary of the yesterday meeting. We can hopefully apply some discipline according to your suggestions soon, even on the next hangout.

I think what you seek with a MP Cookbook is already in the main repo: https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile This used to be a documentation repository trying to gather all relevant information about MicroProfile in a single place. I believe we should promote this repository more and even encourage people to start with this repo before they start reading the mailing list archives. It is enough to keep the repository updated, without any additional repository.

It would be even better if we could integrate the repository into the microprofile.io site so that the adoc content is displayed as a getting started page.

--Ondro

Amelia Eiras

Jul 26, 2017, 12:57:22 PM7/26/17
to Ondrej Mihalyi, MicroProfile
Dias Ondrej,

YES, that is exactly the skeleton MP needs, a good start.
Adjustments will be needed to match the different sections currently taking place & future ones.  Promotion of the git +1.

I will check carefully its data before the end of the week.

Thanks for your prompt follow up, very happy that your feedback avoids duplication of work. You ROCK #usualsuspects! :)

John Clingan

Jul 26, 2017, 6:45:06 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, ph...@redhat.com, csaa...@redhat.com
Adding Red Hat marketing folks to this list so they are aware of an informal decision made during yesterday's hangout and can also participate in the discussion. I recommend that other vendors cc their marketing folks and community members, so that we get a really good discussion going here. The decision is informal because we need broader community feedback and validation.

The informal decision
The plan for the August 8th Live Hangout was to unveil the logo survey results in addition to our typical discussion. During yesterday's Live Hangout, we discussed releasing MicroProfile 1.1 during the same August 8th call.

Why August 8th Live Hangout? That doesn't leave much time!
The idea with launching during this same meeting is that it compliments the logo results and we can invite a broader community and the press to build some momentum.  Config 1.0 is done. We also want to release MicroProfile 1.2 prior to JavaOne, therefore putting some "temporal space" between the two releases. We can go into JavaOne with two releases behind us

What is needed and by whom?
Please pass this thread around to the marketing folks (click on the "reply" dropdown box to email a direct link to this message"). The sooner we have this discussion, the sooner we get buy-in, and the sooner we can define an agenda, the sooner we can get the word out!

This is a pretty serious goal, so let's get a lot of participation and discussion. Thanks in advance!!

John Clingan

Jul 26, 2017, 6:54:35 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, ph...@redhat.com, csaa...@redhat.com
OK, due to a recovered brain hiccup, I remembered the word I wanted to use instead of "informal decision" - "Proposal"!
12 hour day so far. Apologies for correction.

Amelia Eiras

Jul 26, 2017, 7:45:02 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
John & all,

MP mktg email is active:  microprofil...@googlegroups.com.

Moving forward, the Community is welcomed to cc mktg email  INSTEAD of individual emails, when attention from mktg team is needed.

--

The list of mktg MP active participants,  who today are receiving this email will be post it on a new thread soon.

As mentioned before, all admins, managers, etc data will become public as a part of the MP git skeleton for all to see what's what :)

Cheers,

Kevin Sutter

Jul 27, 2017, 4:40:03 PM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Amelia,
How should newbies get invited to this new Eclipse MicroProfile Marketing community?  You just helped me out with the proper email address, but as we get new people wanting to get involved in the marketing aspect, how should they get registered?  And, is there a reason why this Marketing community is by invitation only instead of being public like the rest (most) of our communications?  Sure would make it easier to join if people could invite themselves...

Thanks,
Kevin

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 6:45:02 PM UTC-5, Amelia Eiras wrote:
John & all,

MP mktg email is active:  microprofile-marketing@googlegroups.com.

Amelia Eiras

Jul 27, 2017, 4:58:00 PM7/27/17
to MicroProfile, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile Marketing
Kevin,

You have stated the most important thing about healthy collaboration — transparency to welcome anyone who wants to help.

Marketing skeleton is still being set up,  as mentioned on previews email, updates are coming by team soon.

Anyone in MP, who wants to participate on Mktg will be welcomed to join on mktg fun! :)
Due to the hectic work week and some of the MP mktg team traveling this week, there are some delays on bringing such cool updates, formally to the MP forum with new status.

I am openly sharing your awesome msg with all. You rock!

Begin forwarded message:

Ondro Mihályi

Jul 27, 2017, 6:32:20 PM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, kwsu...@gmail.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amelia and marketing team,

As Kevin pointed out, the marketing google group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/microprofile-marketing is private and suggests there is a team with special priviledges in the MicroProfile community. Since the beginning, there has always been a single MicroProfile team with all members equal and all information public. A notable exception is Eclipse project committers with more slightly rights than other contributors, but that's mandated by the Eclipse foundation and is highly transparent.

It's great that a new team is being formed to power the marketing aspect, and so far everything was done transparently (discussion on this mailing list, public hangouts with meeting minutes, public list of hangout attendees). Therefore I'm very surprised that the marketing google group isn't public and accessible only via invitation. It should be open to anybody, and it should have been from the start.

If there are any reasons to keep some information private, it should be only temporary (e.g. to avoid leaking information about the new logo before it's announced) and, foremost, the reasons should be discussed publicly before using a private channel. I expect that the marketing google group would be opened soon after the logo is announced or the reason to stay private is justified and clear.

--Ondro
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile-marketing+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Amelia Eiras

Jul 28, 2017, 1:29:33 PM7/28/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, microprofil...@googlegroups.com, Ondrej Mihalyi
Ondrej,

You are spot on correct on the temporary set up of new mktg email, (now PUBLIC)  that ought to be seen not as a new MP group but as an extension email that ought to be cc'd on all MP regular forum threads, when attention to mktg matters is required.
Why? B/c it is easy to miss stuff & trace stuff as it on MP forum.  cc'd works great as it brings extra focus to sections, in this case Mktg.

7/28/17: Mktg Group is public & anyone is welcomed to join. Yet, the expectation is that all data will be posted on MP forum & not ONLY on mktg forum.

Your open feedback is great, explicitly states what is expected from OSS collaboration, transparency. Again, you ROCK OM! :)

Like you, I have stated before and I stand by the fact that in anything OSS, if anything occurs in private doors and it is not shared properly and timely with its Community, it ought not to take place,  such time spent ought to be voided as it is not beneficial to the Project.

Mktg team met this AM, I just read the minutes posted on MP forum:

Social media is being set up, my direct Mktg team request on access to Media:

Aside from access to MP Tweeter as an admin, please remove me from all other media. Thank YOU!
-----

NOTE:  Anyone who wants to help PR MP via media is most welcomed to ask, OPENLY, as I have done above & explicit on what you would like to participate on based on how much value you can add.
Media MP Admin access will be traced, check mktg minutes above for current updates.
 Anyone who gains admin access, IMPORTANT -- admins don't need to be a Vendor to ask for access, individuals are most welcomed to coordinate, become a referee & help media speak on behalf of the Project and not focus on 1 vendor or another.    In this case, I see particular with Tweeter the importance of setting at least 2 values (more welcomed) to help braid a healthy environment.
 I will follow up a new thread on DON'Ts & hope many speak up to add it on the MP git MEDIA section.

  • MP Tweeter admins never ought to reply as a group but as individuals. Own what you say, do not hide behind a group
  • never block anyone, no matter the reason
  • MP Community using MP forum is welcomed and ought to cc'd microprofi...@tomitribe.com  when something ought to be tweeted or re-tweeted.   PR is not a 1 section or team effort but a coverage that needs all eyes. Participate!

Amelia Eiras

Jul 28, 2017, 2:35:18 PM7/28/17
to muddw...@gmail.com, MicroProfile Marketing, MicroProfile
Hola Angela,

Amelia here. Have you joined the MP gForum?

Your msg below is not posted on the actually thread yet.  It seems you still  have not joined the MP Ggroup, have you?   To post the msg below & expect feedback you must become a member by joining group.

Note: MP Ggroup is not moderated — all messages (when written by members) are received at the speed they come through.

You are welcomed to confirm or let us know if assumption is incorrect. Questions do ask and thanks for doing MP Project!

On Jul 28, 2017, at 10:54 AM, muddw...@gmail.com wrote:

Question on August 8th Hangout - is this open to members only or should we encourage our interested team within IBM and each other's companies?  Want to determine if I should let some IBM team members know about the hangout and join.  I see the logo will be unveiled and the MP 1.1 version - who does this as I have not been to one of the hangouts yet.  You will see another member joining me from IBM to help with all the activities (Steve Miszkewycz).  He will be helping with the requirements for the booth, promotion, blog schedule, if a surround event will be executed, booth staff schedule.  I've invited him to our calls and please let me know if he needs to do anything additional to get connected to this team.

Angela Warner, IBM

Amelia Eiras

Jul 28, 2017, 4:59:12 PM7/28/17
to Angela M Warner, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, muddw...@gmail.com
Being subscribed is not the same as joining the group… Current MP gGroup set up only allows members to post. group is public, all data can be viewed without joining group or subscribing to it.

Your actions and followed up candid questions shows us that gGroup needs a short/direct 2 sentences on how to MP join gForum to avoid situations like you are currently in.
 Thank YOU for already improving MP communications Angela.

Now, please go to:

Likely, you will have to copy/paste the original comments & question for your first msg. Please do so and MicroProfilers who can add value to the thread, will openly own his/her feedback.

Cheers,
On Jul 28, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Angela M Warner <war...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Thanks Amelia - I thought I did as I'm receiving everything. Where do I need to go to access MP gForum?

Angela M Warner
WW Hybrid Management Portfolio Marketing Manager

war...@us.ibm.com Office (919) 847-7448 Mobile (919) 454-4956

<graycol.gif>Amelia Eiras ---07/28/2017 02:35:21 PM---Hola Angela, Amelia here. Have you joined the MP gForum?

From: Amelia Eiras <aei...@tomitribe.com>
To: muddw...@gmail.com
Cc: MicroProfile Marketing <microprofil...@googlegroups.com>, MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 07/28/2017 02:35 PM
Subject: Re: Getting more participation on calls / logo unveiling

David Blevins

Aug 7, 2017, 10:53:10 PM8/7/17
to MicroProfile
I'm incredibly happy to see the fire this effort has lit under everyone in the community, including myself :)

I think we should aim to do a "one big one" call like this quarterly or every fourth month or so.  It basically took us one full month to pull everything together.  July 11th to August 8th.

I think we'd need a solid 3 months (not 2) before we'd have enough new material to do something like tomorrow again.

At the very least we should say tomorrow, "we plan to do this again this year."

Regardless, excellent work everyone.  All this activity is truly inspiring.

-David

John Clingan

Aug 8, 2017, 12:09:48 AM8/8/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com