Revamping our front door

Andy Guibert

May 15, 2019, 2:35:58 PM5/15/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi all,

Currently we have this really nice looking website for MicroProfile: https://microprofile.io/

Unfortunately, as a developer looking at this website, I don't learn much from it. I'm left wondering basic questions like:
 - How does MP improve my application? Why should I care about it?
 - What does some of the sample code using the specs look like?
 - What are the MP specs? If I go to the "projects" tab, I get a list of _all_ github repos associated with MP, such as microprofile-samples, microprofile-evolution-process, etc.
 - Clicking "More info" on the home page takes me to the MP 2.2 release notes on GitHub. If I'm brand new to MP, this doesn't mean much to me.

Having start.microprofile.io is a great step towards attracting developers, but the website still needs to serve an important role of grabbing developer's attention enough that they get to the point where they want to kick the tires and use the MP starter.

I think all of this boils down to acknowledging that developers are the decision makers when it comes to choosing frameworks/technologies nowadays (which is good!) and our website should market itself accordingly. If people don't agree with this statement, hashing that out should be our primary focus in the discussion.

So, what can be done to fix this? Some things I can think of are:
 - Home page: Insert the "MP building blocks" diagram on the home page to clearly shows the specs. If each was a clickable box that took you to the corresponding repo, that would be a bonus!
 - Home page: Currently we have a link to the e-book "The Business Value of Eclipse MicroProfile". We should pull key info from that ebook onto the front page
 - Projects page: Only display projects that are actual MP specs, or at least clearly mark/categorize the actual spec repos towards the top, and put "other" repos towards the bottom
 - Projects page: On each spec repo, show more than just the repo description and who is involved. Maybe make the cards larger and show a simple code example (10-20 LOC) of what the spec does in each card.
   OR: Have a dropdown menu on "projects" menu item that lists the specs. Each spec could get its own page describing business value, concepts, and sample code.

I'm sure there will be lots of different ideas/opinions on specific items that can be changed, but what I'd like to discuss first is if we can all agree that we need to re-work the content of the website to be more developer-focused. What do people think?

Cheers,
Andy

Fred Rowe

May 16, 2019, 11:33:23 PM5/16/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
+1

Rhuan Henrique

May 17, 2019, 12:45:34 AM5/17/19
to MicroProfile
Hi Andy!

It's a good question! We are working to providing better information to developer. I agree we should work to attracting developers. Now, we are creating the Microprofile Tutorial, that will be a guide to developers use MP. Look link to maillist and GitHub issues below.

Microprofile Tutorial will be a technical guide to developers, to help them to use Microprofile specs.

Thanks!
Rhuan Rocha

Andy Guibert

May 22, 2019, 3:54:38 PM5/22/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Rhuan,

Great to see that a MP Tutorial is being developed! I think it is much needed. However, the points in my initial note still stand -- if we're not properly advertising our capabilities at the front door, developers won't bother to dig further into things like tutorials and guides. There is still room in the website to convey value to developers without needing a hands-on aspect like a guide or tutorial.

Since this thread didn't garner the discussion I was expecting to see, perhaps I can phrase my "ask" differently:
Would anyone be opposed to me opening PRs that update the MP website to be more developer-focused as I described in my original note? I'm willing to do these updates on my own time, since these updates seem important to the success of MicroProfile. However, before I invest the time making these changes I want to make sure people agree with the concept.

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:45:34 PM UTC-5, RhuanRocha wrote:
Hi Andy!

It's a good question! We are working to providing better information to developer. I agree we should work to attracting developers. Now, we are creating the Microprofile Tutorial, that will be a guide to developers use MP. Look link to maillist and GitHub issues below.

Microprofile Tutorial will be a technical guide to developers, to help them to use Microprofile specs.

Thanks!
Rhuan Rocha

Em sex, 17 de mai de 2019 às 00:33, Fred Rowe <fro...@gmail.com> escreveu:
+1

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Andy Guibert <andy....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ondro Mihályi

May 24, 2019, 1:07:49 AM5/24/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I definitely agree that the mp.io front page doesn't provide much information for developers. I think it contains too much marketing and too few developer-oriented info.

I think part of the problem is that the page is maintained by matketing people and not by developers. Even to me as a microprofile committer it's not clear how to suggest improvements on the page.

The page runs on wordpress and committers don't have access to edit8ng the pages, or do they? Is there a way how to suggest changes ither than raising a github issue?

Ondro

Amelia Eiras

May 29, 2019, 4:31:09 PM5/29/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hola Andy,

This thread and the issue via Repo are fantastic.

Thank you for writingTHEtalk beautifully, :)