Docker integration

Soumya Pattnayak

Jul 4, 2017, 5:42:29 AM7/4/17
to MicroProfile
Can we also think of docker integration in enhanced version of micro-profile / java EE 8/9 ?? The final build should be able to build a docker image/deply it and push to any configured registry..Not sure if this is already been considered..
thanks..
Soumya Pattnayak

Heiko Rupp

Jul 4, 2017, 5:56:09 AM7/4/17
to MicroProfile
Can you elaborate what you mean? Microprofile itself is a set of specifications that vendors implement.

I can imagine though that there could be some sub-specs that could help running on Docker or other container technologies or schedulers like Kubernetes or OpenShift. An example could be a library that allows to easily access ConfigMaps or Secrets or similar.

Soumya Pattnayak

Jul 4, 2017, 7:03:23 AM7/4/17
to MicroProfile

Yes. You've well articulated. I was thinking in similar line. The profile should allow initially to create a dummy dockerfile may be and could further allow us to elaborate what all extra component we want to build in the image. Also should allow docker-compose functionality where a compose file to configure our application’s services..Also can support osgi karaf like container. The developer should be able to configure which container he/she wants to go with. I am quite new to microprofile, just started reading couple of hours back. Not sure if this topic earlier been discussed. Though I haven't thought through K8 etc yet, but you have brought up a good point here...The profile should allow to define the kubernete cluster definition along with endpoints, contexts, namespaces etc..Thanks for adding up your thoughts.

Kevin Sutter

Jul 5, 2017, 10:21:29 AM7/5/17
to MicroProfile
I'm confused by this request.  The MicroProfile project is meant to define specifications, APIs, and Test Suites.  We may also provide a *sample* application, but it's not a Reference Implementation.  Any vendor is free to choose to implement that specifications and APIs.  So, providing Docker images for specs and APIs doesn't make sense to me.  But, each vendor can choose to deliver Docker images for their solutions that support the MicroProfile programming model.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

Thanks, Kevin

Werner Keil

Jul 24, 2017, 5:28:55 AM7/24/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
It seems "Docker everywhere" is kind of trending these days.
Quite astouning and weird for compared to the "Write once Run Anywhere" promise of Java, that the recent Docker JEP http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2017-July/048567.html
has a Non-Goal
---------

>It is not a goal of this JEP to support any platform other than Docker container technology running on Linux x64.

So OpenJDK now gets features that only make sense on 64 Bit Linux.
Baking that into the JDK sounds ridiculous. Hopefully in a Post-Jigsaw era, it will at least end up as an optional module that can be installed if you use that particular OS but not blows up the JVM if you aren't.

Particular vendors or implementors are free to have Docker containers for their implementations, but the MicroProfile as a whole shouldn't bake Docker support into the platform or API I'd say.

Werner

John Clingan

Jul 24, 2017, 11:47:18 AM7/24/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
From a Red Hat perspective, I'm more concerned about Istio alignment than Docker itself. There is duplicate efforts at the application API level but also in the "service mesh".

Mark Little

Jul 25, 2017, 3:36:21 AM7/25/17
to John Clingan, Eclipse MicroProfile
+1

Emily Jiang

Jul 25, 2017, 5:41:49 AM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com
I agree we need to have a project level Istio alignment repo to document how each spec works in the Istio platform. We had some discussion on Fault Tolerance spec. As we don't want each spec spells out the Istio aspect materials, it will be good to have a centralized repo to document how each spec works in Istio. Thoughts?

Emily

Kevin Sutter

Jul 25, 2017, 8:52:40 AM7/25/17
to Emily Jiang, Eclipse MicroProfile
Emily,
I agree that we need an overall "how does MicroProfile integrate with Istio" discussion.  And, this would most likely lead to another spec or doc of some sort.  But, this isn't the proper thread for that discussion.  We've touched on Istio in a few different threads.  Maybe a dedicated thread would be a good way to start this discussion.  If I don't see something created by later today, I'll kick one off.  Thanks!

Kevin

Emily Jiang

Jul 25, 2017, 8:59:29 AM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com
Thanks Kevin! Good idea. Let me start a discussion and hopefully later on a proposal will follow.

Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile...@googlegroups.com.