Config JSR status

Emily Jiang

Sep 19, 2017, 5:00:15 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
As a followup on today's MP hangout, we would like to provide a quick update on the status of Configuration JSR.

As you may know, Configuration JSR was proposed and accepted with Mark Struberg and me as co-lead. At the moment, Mark and I are working towards creating repo, forming EG list, setting up a communication channel etc. We will announce the repo, communication channel in due course.

Emily and Mark

Ondro Mihályi

Sep 20, 2017, 3:31:16 PM9/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks for the update, Emily.

I'd just add that anyone interested is welcome to nominate him/herself as a member or contributor to the JSR. We would like to have as many voices as possible, even outside of the MicroProfile community.

A nomination is easy - you just need to create or use an Oracle account (easy) and become a member of the JCP (a bit more complicated, but not much). Have a look at this Becoming a JCP Member. If you find becoming a full member too complicated or against the will of your employer, you can always become an associate member in a matter of days, without thinking about legal implications.

Then, you can nominate yourself in this page: https://jcp.org/en/jsr/egnom
The JSR number is 382. The type of nomination is Expert Group in case of a full membership, contributor in case of associate membership. Then fill in some personal details and that's it.

If you work with any other framework or library than MicroProfile or Java EE that provides some kind of API for configuration, I encourage you to ask the authors of it to collaborate on this JSR and even join it as members or at least as contributors so that they can influence the specification to better fit their needs.

Ondro

John D. Ament

Sep 20, 2017, 7:07:16 PM9/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I know the kind of update I was looking for, so here it goes.

Is this in fact the first Eclipse JSR, e.g. is it being operated the way that JSRs operate today however under the Eclipse Foundation, based on the Java EE moves to Eclipse statement?  Do we expect the Eclipse Foundation to produce the Spec, TCK & RI?

John

Emily Jiang

Sep 21, 2017, 4:55:05 AM9/21/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you Ondro for promoting Config JSR! John, good questions. I (Emily) assume Eclipse Foundation to produce the Spec, TCK & RI, but we need to confirm with JCP board. I have meeting with Heather VanCura and will clarify this and then report back in due course.

By the way, Mark and I have created a twitter account for Config JSR. Please follow it and support it. https://twitter.com/configJSR

Eclipse is in the middle of creating git repo for Config JSR. Once it is done, we will announce here as well.

Emily and Mark

Amelia Eiras

Sep 21, 2017, 1:47:44 PM9/21/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Emily & Mark,

What an efficient & fantastic idea to create a MP JSR tweeter account to update quickly the MP Community on the project! :)

@MicroProfileIO now also follows @ConfigJSR.

----

May I suggest your 2 tweeter names Emily & Mark be added as the managers for @ConfigJSR

Cheers,

Amelia Eiras

Sep 21, 2017, 1:49:58 PM9/21/17
to MicroProfile
May I suggest your 2 tweeter names Emily & Mark be added as the managers for @ConfigJSR?

means  on the description of new account, link it to your tweeter handles too. :)

Werner Keil

Sep 21, 2017, 4:12:15 PM9/21/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Especially if a JSR develops RI and TCK Open Source as it looks like, the Spec Lead(s) are responsible for submitting all artifacts to the PMO, but members of the EG can also work on the TCK of course.

I assume even contributors who are at least Associate Members could also help that way. At JSR 363 one of the later members of the EG joined particularly due to his help with the TCK.

Would it be possible to also mention the Twitter handle under

2.18 Please describe the communications channel you have established for the public to observe Expert Group deliberations, provide feedback, and view archives of all Expert Group communications.

Werner

Emily Jiang

Sep 21, 2017, 5:11:13 PM9/21/17
to MicroProfile
Good point Amelia and Werner! Will act upon your suggestions.

Emily & Mark

Thanks
Emily
=================
Emily Jiang
eji...@apache.org

David Blevins

Sep 21, 2017, 9:28:07 PM9/21/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
> On Sep 20, 2017, at 4:07 PM, John D. Ament <john.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know the kind of update I was looking for, so here it goes.
>
> Is this in fact the first Eclipse JSR, e.g. is it being operated the way that JSRs operate today however under the Eclipse Foundation,

It is in fact not just the first JSR from Eclipse, but the first JSR of any open source foundation or non-profit across all 18 years of JCP history and 59 spec leads.

- https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/september/article7.php

> ...based on the Java EE moves to Eclipse statement?

I would phrase that "Java EE moves to Eclipse based on the Config JSR showing a new way forward"

> Do we expect the Eclipse Foundation to produce the Spec, TCK & RI?

Yes. And by that, "Eclipse" means all of us :)

-David

Werner Keil

Sep 22, 2017, 5:03:47 AM9/22/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:28:07 AM UTC+2, David Blevins wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2017, at 4:07 PM, John D. Ament <john.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know the kind of update I was looking for, so here it goes.
>
> Is this in fact the first Eclipse JSR, e.g. is it being operated the way that JSRs operate today however under the Eclipse Foundation,

It is in fact not just the first JSR from Eclipse, but the first JSR of any open source foundation or non-profit across all 18 years of JCP history and 59 spec leads.

 - https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/september/article7.php

Not quite I'm afraid. Cannot remember, if Apache Foundation also led a JSR before, but The Open Group is the Spec Lead of JSR 302:

Because I have experience with some of the most open JSRs (where TCK and everything is open and transparent) I also requested to join the EG. Happy to help.

Werner

Emily Jiang

Sep 22, 2017, 11:28:49 AM9/22/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
We are in the process of getting repo created. As for the licenses, shall we use Apache L2, same as MicroProfile repos? Any other thoughts?

Emily and Mark

Emily Jiang

Sep 22, 2017, 1:33:50 PM9/22/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
As a followup. We are good on license. We proposed to the following : Spec, RI, and TCK:  https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Emily and Mark

David Blevins

Sep 24, 2017, 12:53:58 AM9/24/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 22, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Werner Keil <werne...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:28:07 AM UTC+2, David Blevins wrote:

It is in fact not just the first JSR from Eclipse, but the first JSR of any open source foundation or non-profit across all 18 years of JCP history and 59 spec leads.

 - https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/september/article7.php

Not quite I'm afraid. Cannot remember, if Apache Foundation also led a JSR before, but The Open Group is the Spec Lead of JSR 302:

Apache has not lead any JSRs.  You might be thinking of JSR 170 for which Apache Jackrabbit is the reference implementation.  That one was lead by Day Software -- Apache was not interested in being the legal entity for the JSR.  JSR 170 is now the IP of Adobe.

Someone can help verify my findings on The Open Group, but they actually appear to be an LLC with employees, sell services and have proprietary trademarks they license for fees.

Royalty fees for their Core Program appear to get up to $300k annually.  This doesn't appear any different than the licensing fees many of us pay for usage of the Java EE trademark.

-David

Kevin Sutter

Sep 24, 2017, 8:51:04 PM9/24/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Just to clarify some of John's earlier comments...

For now, the JCP process is still king.  The Configuration JSR will at least initially follow the JCP processes as they are currently defined.  None of us know how long it will take for Java EE to move to the Eclipse Foundation and to have the community define the new specification, api, ri, and tck processes.  So, it is in our best interests to continue to move forward with the current JCP process.  As you can see from Emily's responses, we're following some of the MicroProfile-established processes for this Configuration JSR -- Apache v2 license, the use of twitter, etc.  This is all goodness!

When the new specification processes are established for "Java EE in Eclipse", we'll have to figure out how the Configuration JSR blends in.  It will depend on the timing of everything.

This is indeed an exciting time for MicroProfile and Java EE!

--  Kevin