name spaces for specs (?)

Heiko Rupp

Nov 14, 2017, 2:02:21 PM11/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey,

in metrics we are adding a way for other specs to expose their metrics (if they want).
For this we are defining name spaces like 'ft' for Fault Tolerance, where all the data from FT will live.
Likewise inside of config it would perhaps good to have well-known property spaces for other mp-specs.

I am thus proposing that we define a list of such namespaces or name space names for the MP specs
and put that list into the umbrella spec document from where all the other specs can reference it.

Likewise I am proposing that we use some common prefix like "mp." or similar as a top level
namespace e.g. in config to distinguish the mp-spec data from (end) user defined data.

Guillermo González de Agüero

Nov 14, 2017, 2:09:36 PM11/14/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

+1 for defining it on the umbrella spec. Is the work on this already started for Metrics (any PR available to see)?

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero

Heiko Rupp

Nov 14, 2017, 3:08:18 PM11/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Emily Jiang

Nov 14, 2017, 4:32:35 PM11/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Heiko,

Thank you for getting to the issue! I had a look at the PR and suggest to put FT etc under the 'application' as a natural fit. I would like to clearly define FT requirements as well. Can we discuss further on a call? We can agree on a time via gitter.

Thanks
Emily

Heiko Rupp

Nov 15, 2017, 3:50:57 AM11/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Emily,

I think the specific way this is done in Metrics is orthogonal to this thread, that is purely trying to come up with name spaces that can be (re-) used in all the MP specs in a consistent way.
I saw you commented on the PR - perhaps just join the next metrics call?

  Heiko

Emily Jiang

Nov 15, 2017, 4:48:29 AM11/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
sure. I'll join the next hangout to discuss this further. That requirement might have some knockon effect on this proposal. Let's revisit this on the call as well.

Thanks
Emily