MP Starter website - your opinion

Emily Jiang

Jul 1, 2019, 9:31:49 AM7/1/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
The beta version of start.microprofile.io has been around for a while. I am wondering whether you can give any feedback on the following questions:

Is it useful to have all specs chosen by default? If you just need to create a microservice with JAX-RS, you have to click untick 8 boxes.

We can introduce a checkbox to say "Deselect All" if you happy with the current design if you think it helps.

If you think most of time you need to clear the boxes, in this case, we will list all specs without anything selected. Here are some options. Please let us know which one you prefer.

Option A: keep the current design, shown above
Option B: Keep the current design; Add a checkbox "Unselect All"
Option C: Untick all specs
Option D: Untick all specs; Add a checkbox "Select All"

Your opinion matters!

Thanks
Emily

Andy Guibert

Jul 1, 2019, 10:17:44 AM7/1/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I prefer option D.

Even if I was writing an app that did need all 8 items I would read over each item, decide if my app needed it, and then check the box. Better to opt-into dependencies rather than have to opt-out IMO.

David Salter

Jul 1, 2019, 11:24:13 AM7/1/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
My preference is option D.

As a user of the site, I don’t normally want all of the options checked and end up having to untick them.  From a usability point of view, I think defaulting to unticked is Bette.

It's rare that I want them all checked, but an option to select them all would add to the usability for me.

Thanks.

David.

On 1 Jul 2019, at 14:31, 'Emily Jiang' via Eclipse MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1.png>

Katherine Stanley2

Jul 1, 2019, 11:30:40 AM7/1/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I would also vote for D, since the generated app is always enabled for everything and some of the specs like health check I know how to add myself so wouldn't necessarily want the example for everything.

But if there was option E for untick all by default and have both a select all and deselect all then I would choose that, incase I clicked select all then changed my mind!
Kind regards,
Katherine (Kate) Stanley
Software Engineer - IBM Messaging
Phone: 44-1962-816474
Twitter: @KateStanley91

Unless stated otherwise above:

Rudy De Busscher

Even if I was writing an app that did need all 8 items I would read over each item, decide if my app needed it, and then check the box. Better to opt-into dependencies rather than have to opt-out IMO.

Rhuan Henrique

Jul 2, 2019, 11:24:55 PM7/2/19
to MicroProfile
I prefer option D.

Emily Jiang

Jul 4, 2019, 12:09:38 PM7/4/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you all for your responses! I think the clear winner is D. To address Kate's point of E, I prefer not to create two buttons. However, we can call the button

Toggle All

which is to bring the opposite effect. If you select all, clicking Toggle All deselects all. If you deselect all, clicking Toggle All selects all.

In summary,

The new proposed GUI:

1. All Spec are unselected, checkbox is empty
2. Add a button "Toggle All" to select all if clicking once. Clicking twice to deselect all.

I'll open an issue on MP Starter to get this implemented if you are happy with this. Please let me know what you think by just +1 or say otherwise.

Thanks
Emily
I prefer option D.

Ondro Mihályi

Jul 6, 2019, 6:37:22 PM7/6/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi, Emily,

I also like option D or E with the toggle behavior.

But from a usability point of view, I would rather change the text of the "toogle" button. So that it says "Select all" by default, and when pressed and all options are selected, the text changes to "Unselect all". Then if pressed, it would unselect all options and text changes back to "Select all".

Using the text "toogle" would be confusing if for example people would select some options but then changed their mind and wanted to select all. Toggle could mean 2 things: either select or unselect all, or select unselected and unselect selected. Switching texts "Select all" and "Unselect all" is much clearer.

Ondro

Emily Jiang

Jul 6, 2019, 6:50:35 PM7/6/19
to Microprofile
Thanks Ondro for the comments! I am wondering whether it’s confusing to Change the selection box caption. Are you worry about the meaning of Toggle? We can add an explanation when the box is focused. Would this fix your concern?
Thanks
Emily

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Eclipse MicroProfile" group.

Alasdair Nottingham

Jul 7, 2019, 1:52:43 PM7/7/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I prefer option d, but if you have a checkbox which could be select all or deselect all what should it do if a subset are selected? Should it select them all or deselect them? What are people most likely to want?

Alasdair Nottingham

Emily Jiang

Jul 7, 2019, 5:24:29 PM7/7/19
to MicroProfile
Good question Alasdair! When partial checkboxes are selected, clicking the "Select All" checkbox will select all checkboxes.

The more we discuss, I think I prefer to just stick with D, which is simple. If someone wants to deselect all after clicking all boxes, the best option is to refresh the page or unticking the boxes.

Thanks
Emily

Thanks
Emily
=================
Emily Jiang
eji...@apache.org

Ondro Mihályi

Jul 8, 2019, 8:44:35 AM7/8/19
to MicroProfile
+1, Emily.

If any variant of the additional option E is confusing, let's just use the option D that most people voted for.

ne 7. 7. 2019 o 23:24 'Emily Jiang' via Eclipse MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com> napísal(a):

Emily Jiang

Jul 10, 2019, 12:45:02 PM7/10/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you Ondro and everyone who has voted!

I have raised this issue to get it done. We will experiment to see whether E is confusing or not. If it does, we will stick with Option D.

Thanks
Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microp...@googlegroups.com.

Thanks