Liberty support for Micro Profile

alasdair....@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 4:21:10 PM7/26/16
to MicroProfile
Hi,

Given that the Micro Profile is defined as CDI, JAX-RS and JSON-P I can understand how the subject might seem underwhelming, given any Java EE 7 server will support Micro Profile. However we have just updated our Liberty application jump start site (called the Liberty App Accelerator) with specific support for the Micro Profile. If you go to http://liberty-app-accelerator.wasdev.developer.ibm.com/ and select Micro Profile it'll generate a zip with a sample application you can build with maven. When you run the maven build it'll configure Liberty to run only CDI, JAX-RS and JSON-P programming models. So no EJB, JAX-WS, JSF or any of that Java EE overhead you don't need or want. I know on the list there are people who want the ability to choose Java EE programming models a la carte rather than as a large set menu.

Looking forward to know what you all think
Thanks
Alasdair

Katherine Stanley2

Jul 27, 2016, 4:32:24 AM7/27/16
to alasdair....@gmail.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

To add to Alasdair's message you can also access Liberty app accelerator at the shorter address of http://wasdev.net/accelerate.

Regards,
Kate
Kind regards,
Katherine (Kate) Stanley
Software Engineer - WebSphere Liberty
Phone: 44-1962-816474
Twitter: @KateStanley91

Unless stated otherwise above:

Martijn Verburg

Jul 27, 2016, 7:37:14 AM7/27/16
to Katherine Stanley2, Alasdair Nottingham, MicroProfile
Great job!  Works out of the box for me.  First two suggestions:

1.) Can you add the Microprofile logo to that welcome screen?

2.) Can you add a link to the Admin console and/or deploy a WAR?  I'd like to try Antonios app on this...

Cheers,
Martijn

Katherine Stanley2

Jul 28, 2016, 5:10:15 AM7/28/16
to martijn...@gmail.com, alasdair....@gmail.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Glad you like it! Yeah, definitely, we want to point people towards the microprofile.io page as much as possible and having the logo will definitely help with that. Were you thinking on the button you select or in the index.html file for the sample app?

I'm not sure I fully understand your second question, perhaps it will help if I explain how app accelerator is structured. The myProject-application project has all the app code, so you will see some existing files in there and you can add your own java classes and the maven code in this project creates the war file. The myProject-wlpcfg project has the war as a dependency and runs integrations tests using WebSphere Liberty and creates a packaged server (either zip or jar). Finally the myProject-deploy project either starts the Liberty server up with the war in it or deploys the app to Bluemix (depending on what you chose on the site).

I've just had a go and managed to deploy Antonios app as part of the sample app from app accelerator, here are the steps I took:
1. Download Antonios whole project from Github
2. Run mvn install on Antonios project so the war and pom files are in my local maven repo
3. Open myProject-wlpcfg/pom.xml and add the following dependency:
      <dependency>
            <groupId>io.microprofile.sample</groupId>
            <artifactId>canonical</artifactId>
            <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
            <type>war</type>
        </dependency>
4. Run mvn install on my Liberty app accelerator app and access the endpoint at http://localhost:9080/canonical-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

It would be cool to have Antonios app added as a dependency by default so I'll have to look into that!

Martijn Verburg

Jul 28, 2016, 5:52:15 AM7/28/16
to Katherine Stanley2, Alasdair Nottingham, MicroProfile
Hi Katherrine,

Thanks!  I'm on leave for the next 4 days but will follow your guide when I get back and give further feedback.

Cheers,
Martijn

Martijn Verburg

Aug 23, 2016, 4:16:40 PM8/23/16
to Katherine Stanley2, Alasdair Nottingham, MicroProfile
Hi Katherine,

All worked for me, thanks.

Cheers,
Martijn