MicroProfile 1.2 Content

Kevin Sutter

Aug 10, 2017, 5:20:15 PM8/10/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, Emily Jiang, Scott Stark, Heiko Rupp, Heiko Braun, steve.m...@gmail.com, John D. Ament, ademag...@gmail.com
Hi,
I'm going to start a new thread [1] because I want to keep this one "clean".  Let's not clutter this one with extraneous component-level discussions.  With JavaOne just around the corner, we need to figure out what will or will not be part of MicroProfile 1.2.  Given that JavaOne is the first week of October, the last date to declare MicroProfile 1.2 is Sept 30.

Given that we need to allow time for RC drivers and IP clearance of dependencies and other misc clean up activities, I figure the final date for each of the components/features targeted for MicroProfile 1.2 is August 31.  This would include completion of the Specification, API, TCK, and documentation.  That is only 3 weeks away...

So, for the following candidate components that I am aware of, which ones are doable (complete) by August 31 or before?  (Please, that is the only answer I want in this thread -- go or no go for August 31.  We can follow up with other specific work items and discussions on our hangouts and other threads.  Thank you!)

Fault Tolerance 1.0 - Emily
JWT 1.0 - Scott
Health Check 1.0 - Heiko B
Health Metrics 1.0 - Heiko R
Open Tracing 1.0 - Steve
Open API 1.0 - Arthur
Config 1.1 - John Ament

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

[1]  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microprofile/XtQLhKjHSMA/TS5Fa0j3BQAJ

Heiko Braun

Aug 11, 2017, 2:36:36 AM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
The Health API will not be ready by end of August.

Emily Jiang

Aug 11, 2017, 6:13:58 AM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Go for Fault Tolerance 1.0 release.

Emily

Werner Keil

Aug 11, 2017, 6:45:33 AM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
From what I see in the Metrics repo it is still gathering requirements, so no actual codind has started.
I doubt, compared to a far smaller and simpler Healthcheck status feature it'll be ready before Q4.

Werner

Arthur De Magalhaes

Aug 11, 2017, 4:42:57 PM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
OpenAPI 1.0 is not targeted for MP 1.2

Thx,
Arthur

Heiko Rupp

Aug 15, 2017, 6:22:30 AM8/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
While we are heavily working on Metrics, I am also unsure if Aug 31st is really doable.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 16, 2017, 12:26:09 AM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
I believe we will decide by this Friday, Aug 18 whether or not the MP-JWT API is close enough to a final 1.0 API/specification to be able to commit to the MP 1.2 release train.

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 4:49:20 AM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
I suggest we use this thread to discuss all MP 1.2 related matters.

Since Eclipse release requires to scan the entire MP repos, all release candidates will be covered by the single bulky scan. I see three specs Config 1.1, FT 1.0, JWT 1.0 have the release plan together with MP 1.2. If Heath Check and/or Metrics plan to do a release, please create a release plan asap to board on the same train.

Emily

John D. Ament

Aug 16, 2017, 6:49:32 AM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
Could you clarify what you mean by "release plan" here?  Also, what is the "bulky scan"?  Is that the IP review we need to get into Eclipse?

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 7:15:50 AM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
I meant the eclipse review plan . When Eclipse does IP review, it will scan the whole MicroProfile repos.
Emily

Kevin Sutter

Aug 16, 2017, 9:40:48 AM8/16/17
to MicroProfile
I created the one for Config 1.1 last night (John, I figure you'll be ready...).  I also created one for JWT Propagation on the hopes of a positive answer from Scott.  His reply is close enough to continue to include it.  :-)

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/config-1.1
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/jwt-propagation-1.0
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/fault-tolerance-1.0

All you have to do it slick Edit on these pages and fill out a bit more information on the content of these releases.  Anything you can fill out will help not only the Eclipse project office, but it will also help with prospective users since these release plans are available on our front page.  Thanks.

I'm still holding out hope for Health Check, since it seems like we've made good progress there on narrowing the scope.  Metrics is a longer shot...

Thanks, Kevin

Emily Jiang

Kevin Sutter

Aug 16, 2017, 11:24:59 AM8/16/17
to MicroProfile
Emily,
I would suggest using Type B for the individual components (Config, FT, etc).  Then, when we do the full MicroProfile release, I will select the Type A review.  Granted, Eclipse pulls all of the code for the review, but the type of effort they put forth will be affected.

Thanks, Kevin

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 4:22:37 PM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks Kevin! That was the one I picked originally but unsure about.

Emily

Werner Keil

Aug 17, 2017, 5:31:08 AM8/17/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
All that exist or all that are mentioned as part of a "release train"?

Heiko Rupp

Aug 18, 2017, 5:37:04 AM8/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
I am more positive for Metrics now, that a week of heavy work has been passed, so count us in :)

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 18, 2017, 10:46:03 AM8/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com, sst...@redhat.com, hr...@redhat.com, ike....@googlemail.com, steve.m...@gmail.com, john.d...@gmail.com, ademag...@gmail.com
So we are a go for MP-JWT 1.0 to be done by the end of the month for the MP 1.2 release.

Kevin Sutter

Aug 18, 2017, 11:25:23 AM8/18/17
to MicroProfile
Wow!  This is great news for Metrics and JWT!  Thank you.  So, at this point, we have the following specs confirmed for MP 1.2:

Config 1.1
Fault Tolerance 1.0
Metrics 1.0
JWT 1.0

This is looking like a very solid release leading up to JavaOne.  Thanks!

--  Kevin

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM, <sst...@redhat.com> wrote:
So we are a go for MP-JWT 1.0 to be done by the end of the month for the MP 1.2 release.

Heiko Braun

Aug 18, 2017, 12:14:28 PM8/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Despite my initial statement on this thread, we are pulling together some contributors to finish Health 1.0. The scope of the release may somewhat reduced, but I am confident that with the help Scott and others, we will be able to deliver by end of this month.

Thanks to everybody in advance who is supporting this effort. Much appreciated.

Heiko