At least one Committer Representative required in Steering Committee

Rudy De Busscher

Sep 30, 2020, 3:43:43 AM9/30/20
to MicroProfile
All,

The MicroProfile Working Group charter clearly states that the Steering Committee contains at least one Committer Representative.

Composition
  • Corporate Members. Each Corporate Member of the Working Group has one seat on the Steering Committee.
  • Committer Representative. At least one Committer Representative is elected by the MicroProfile project committers themselves.
So a meeting on October 20th will not be possible as the committee will not have the correct composition and thus decisions will not be valid/legal.

Rudy

David Blevins

Sep 30, 2020, 11:52:25 PM9/30/20
to Micro Profile
There is a chicken and egg problem here that we dealt with on the Jakarta side by simply appointing someone until the election could take place.

Here's what it is and how it affects us. We may have to do something similar.

- It's the Committer Members who vote for the Committer Representative. A committer converts into a Committer Member by 1) signing the individual agreement and getting their employer to sign the Consent Agreement or 2) by being employed by an employer who is already a member of the Eclipse Foundation. This will take time, especially for independent committers who will have to get new permission from their employer.

- As noted in the charter, "Procedures governing elections of Representatives may be established pursuant to resolutions of the Steering Committee." But of course, how can you have a Steering Committee making resolutions without a Committer Representative?

We'll definitely have to bend some rule temporarily to get ourselves established. There's no way to proceed without bending a rule at least once. I think we have some flexibility on what rule that is.

It's definitely a good topic for our Tuesday call.

Given the precedent of picking someone to fill the role has been established and deemed ok, I don't see why we'd have an issue upgrading that picking process to a plain committer vote. As long as the person "picked" can get their Consent Agreement in place asap, we should be good.

At least that's one way to go about it. There are definitely others.

-David

Rudy De Busscher

Oct 1, 2020, 5:57:27 AM10/1/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Since there is already a committer rep election planned (see Excel of Paul Buck), my interpretation is that the Steering Committee can only decide about the Committer Representative but not about other questions (like converting to a spec project and approving a release) before Committee is fully established.

If the Committee decides to just 'pick' one person for a limited amount of time, that sounds reasonable and in line with the charter.

Rudy

Paul Buck

Oct 1, 2020, 12:31:55 PM10/1/20
to MicroProfile Community

There is nothing preventing a Steering Committee operating prior to an elected representative being chosen. Not having an elected representative does not impinge on the legitimacy of the Committee beginning operation.  That committee can, of course, choose to defer certain decisions if it feels that it would be more appropriate to wait on a decision until the elected representative is chosen.  They could also decide to revisit decisions should they wish to do so once an elected representative is available.

That said, an election could happen in advance, but there's a tradeoff between expediency in holding that election, and leaving time for Committer members to join and thus having more Committer members available to vote.

And as David pointed out, it is now time for Microprofile committers that are not employed by organizations that intend on joining the working group by signing the MicroProfile Participation Agreement, to get an MicroProfile Working Group Individual Participation Agreement in place. Get to me with questions, happy to help.

Thanks ... Paul

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MicroProfile" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/CAL%2Bwt-6T5vX%3DqmH0BRZuWLEUY1uiW9HQhAZsqJdpP%2BP%2BYCZnvw%40mail.gmail.com.

John Clingan

Oct 2, 2020, 1:16:52 PM10/2/20
to MicroProfile
Thanks Paul. I think we'd want to know who wants to be a committer member representative, right? Do we have a public "raise your hand if interested" approach? Then conduct a private(?) vote from committer members to vote for those interested committers?

Emily Jiang

Oct 2, 2020, 1:56:03 PM10/2/20
to MicroProfile
I think we need to get committers and their employers to sign the forms first. I saw the committer agreement task is supposed to end on 16th Oct. We might not have time to elect a committer even informaly by 20th Oct. Is it ok for the committee just appoint one randomly from the signed off committer list to stand in before the election process kicks in and then get an elected memeber? Anyway, this is plan B if EF is ok with this.

Thanks
Emily

Paul Buck

Oct 2, 2020, 1:59:06 PM10/2/20
to MicroProfile Community

I have a list from the Foundation database that I was going to start with, that list has the committers that are not employed by organizations that we expect to join the working group. That said, I am totally open to committers reaching out directly to me.

Thanks ... Paul

Werner Keil

Oct 2, 2020, 3:24:46 PM10/2/20
to MicroProfile
Not sure if it must be, at least in the Marketing Committee of Jakarta EE there's also a vacant seat right now.

Werner