Upgrading to Arquillian Core 1.1.14

John D. Ament

Nov 25, 2017, 10:41:12 AM11/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
All,

Bartosz @ Red Hat just shipped a new release of the Arquillian Core runtime.  One of those changes fixes a bug I reported, ARQ-2143 (well it's more of an enhancement).  It seems that there's been some premature assumptions about what this change means, so I'll explain a little more about how it related to MicroProfile and what it likely means for your runtimes.  This bug was actually found while running some of the tests for MP Config 1.1, and I think MP Fault Tolerance kept the same issue.  Basically, if you have an archive that is meant to throw a deployment exception, it was never appending custom libraries that may be required to cause that deployment to fail.  The fix adds a new API attribute that allows a deployment that is meant to throw an exception be a testable archive.  This is simply allowing the archive to be testable, it is still up to the individual container runtimes to support testable archives in this way.  I can confirm that embedded containers seem to do this properly, but any managed or remote containers likely need to be enhanced to support this test behavior.

Therefore, I'd recommend teams take the following actions:

- With each spec being shipped in the next MP release, if you were expecting this behavior, please upgrade to Arquillian 1.1.14 and add testable=true to your deployment exceptions.
- Confirm whether or not you need to enhance any of your Arquillian container runtimes to support deployment exceptions with additional libraries.