Explicitly include implicit/transitive Java EE dependencies in the MicroProfile specification

Mike Croft

Aug 7, 2018, 2:53:53 PM8/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
In the bi-weekly call today, we were discussing the fact that MicroProfile depends on some Java EE/Jakarta EE APIs and we may well need to consider this fact as we further develop MicroProfile on its own path - separate to, but not in isolation from Jakarta EE.

Way back in 1.0, we explicitly included CDI, JAX-RS and JSON-P. We took it as read (mostly for the conference demo app) that JAXB was present, because it was in Java SE. Given that we have now explicitly included JSON-B and JAXB is no longer in Java SE, is that also a spec we want to explicitly include?

Scott mentioned on the call that the JWT spec uses JAX-B and Mark mentioned that JAX-RS might also use it. We also have things like common annotations which we kind of assume are there.

Ondro Mihályi

Aug 11, 2018, 4:25:37 AM8/11/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I agree with including JAXB in the spec.

At first I thought that the support for JAXB is optional in JAX-RS but it's not true. The spec explicitly says that JAXB message body readers/writers must be supported.

Although we may also specify exceptions in Java EE specs, for example to alleviate the JAXB requirement in JAX-RS and specify that MicroProfile implementations don't have to support JAXB readers/writers and even XML content type at all. I think it would make MicroProfile leaner and still allow adding JAXB there as specified by JAX-RS.

I would be really interested why JWT requires JAXB - I thought that XML is obsolete for Microservices and no MicroProfile spec should rely on XML.

Ondro

Guillermo González de Agüero

Aug 11, 2018, 5:10:47 AM8/11/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
+1. Why nog stating that MicroProfile includes "JAX-RS minus JAXB support"?

Possibly Jakarta EE could alleviate the JAXB requirement on a future version. I see a lot of libraries moving away JAXB this days to facilitate working on the module path and Java 11 where it's no longer provided by the JRE.