Conference app - Demonstration of MP JWT

Andy Guibert

Sep 15, 2017, 4:15:46 PM9/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi all,

In the next few weeks am hoping to get some time to update the mp conference app to showcase some of the new MicroProfile specs that have come out since it was originally released.

When thinking about how to incorporate JWT, the best idea I could come up with was introducing a new microservice named "microservice-auth" which could be used to secure other microservices which also support JWT.  I believe Liberty and Swarm are the only two app servers that support JWT at the moment, so we could secure the Session (Swarm) and Vote (Liberty) microservices with JWT, and leave the other services (Schedule and Speaker) un-authenticated.

Before I jump into this I wanted to put the idea out here and collect the input of others.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

- Andy

Emily Jiang

Sep 15, 2017, 4:29:45 PM9/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Can we split the microservice app into individual microservices first and then add the new features? My worry is that the more things we lump in, the more difficult to re-architecture. By the way, I would also like to introduce some service interactions to better demonstrate Fault Tolerance capability.

Emily

Andy Guibert

Sep 15, 2017, 4:46:13 PM9/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I think long-term splitting the individual microservices into separate repos is the right thing to do, but I am aiming to have this A) working and B) stable in time for JavaOne.  My goal is to get 3 of the 5 new specs (Config, FT, and JWT) incorporated, and if it's just me working on it then splitting the repos prior to working on that isn't containable.

However, if others are willing to commit to helping out with the above tasks we may have enough bandwidth to get the repos split and still showcase the specs in time for JavaOne.

Ken Finnigan

Sep 15, 2017, 4:48:11 PM9/15/17
to MicroProfile
The main issue is the runtimes.

If there are runtimes that don't support all the features you're trying to add to the conference demo, that microservice can't be updated to include those features without it breaking.

Can you provide an outline of what microservices you were planning on updating with which specifications, then the vendors could provide input as to whether they are able to support such changes?

Ken

Andy Guibert

Sep 15, 2017, 5:15:25 PM9/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Ken,

The Config and FT updates I was planning to make would be under the Vote microservice (Liberty), which does support both specs.  The vendor mappings for my JWT updates are covered in the OP.

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 9:15:46 PM UTC+1, Andy Guibert wrote:
Hi all,

In the next few weeks am hoping to get some time to update the mp conference app to showcase some of the new MicroProfile specs that have come out since it was originally released.

When thinking about how to incorporate JWT, the best idea I could come up with was introducing a new microservice named "microservice-auth" which could be used to secure other microservices which also support JWT.  I believe Liberty and Swarm are the only two app servers that support JWT at the moment, so we could secure the Session (Swarm) and Vote (Liberty) microservices with JWT, and leave the other services (Schedule and Speaker) un-authenticated.

Before I jump into this I wanted to put the idea out here and collect the input of others.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

- Andy

Emily Jiang

Sep 18, 2017, 3:01:23 PM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Andy,

Thanks for the explanation! Your plan sounds reasonable to me. We can properly re-architecture the conference app after JavaOne. By the way, please use the existing issues I opened recently to track the changes you are going to make for Config, FT, JWT etc.

Emily

Andy Guibert

Sep 18, 2017, 3:06:35 PM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Emily,

I would like to use the existing issues, but I don't have authority to assign a task to myself or modify any of its state.  Same goes for others who may be working on some of these issues but are not yet full MP members.  Should we just leave comments on the tasks saying "I'm working on this", or can we adjust permissions on GitHub to allow new users to "pick up" issues and work on them.

Emily Jiang

Sep 18, 2017, 4:39:37 PM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yep, adding a comment on the issues is a good idea. I put a comment on the three issues, Config, FT and JWT mentioning you are working on it.

Emily

sst...@redhat.com

Sep 19, 2017, 2:46:35 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I will be looking to update the session app with config, jwt, metrics, and health check as that is what I think we will have in a tech preview release of Wildfly-Swarm for J1.