Deploying microprofile-conference demo microservice-vote service into a kube environment

Scott Stark

Feb 14, 2018, 12:50:51 AM2/14/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I'm looking at deploying the microprofile-conference demo app into a minikube type environment, and when I attempt to deploy the microservice-vote.jar executable jar as a docker image that run an executable jar I'm getting the following error on startup of the image:

[microservice-vote 754]$ oc logs microservice-vote-2584106616-wxn54

Starting the Java application using /opt/run-java/run-java.sh ...

exec java -Xms64m -Xmx128m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.egd=file:///dev/./urandom -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40 -XX:GCTimeRatio=4 -XX:AdaptiveSizePolicyWeight=90 -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=100m -XX:+ExitOnOutOfMemoryError -cp . -jar /deployments/microservice-vote.jar

Extracting files to /deployments/?/wlpExtract/microservice-vote_19069111667927/wlp

Successfully extracted all product files.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to run jar due to error com.ibm.ws.kernel.boot.cmdline.EnvCheck

at wlp.lib.extract.SelfExtractRun.main(SelfExtractRun.java:285)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ibm.ws.kernel.boot.cmdline.EnvCheck

at wlp.lib.extract.SelfExtractRun.runServerInline(SelfExtractRun.java:319)

at wlp.lib.extract.SelfExtractRun.main(SelfExtractRun.java:280)

Is there  a configuration of the liberty-maven-plugin or a property to specify on the command line to point to a previously extracted directory of the wlp server contents?
I'm not sure why the extraction path contains a '?' character, but I suspect that is what is causing the problem here, but I have not been able to get into the pod to inspect the /deployments directory.

Rüdiger zu Dohna

Feb 15, 2018, 12:57:14 PM2/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
not sure, but could it be that that question mark is originally some UTF-8 character and your container only supports ASCII? Just an idea :-)

Emily Jiang

Feb 15, 2018, 5:55:13 PM2/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Scott,

I have not seen the problem you are seeing. https://github.com/WASdev/ci.docker.tutorials/tree/master/app might have useful info to help you along. If not, can you list which command did you use?

Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Feb 15, 2018, 6:10:59 PM2/15/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Scott,

Further to my previous comments, https://github.com/WASdev/sample.microservicebuilder.docs/blob/master/dev_test_local_minikube.md has a better instruction to deploy the customised conference app to minikube, which should closely match what you are trying to do.

Emily