Website care and Maintenance

David Blevins

Apr 20, 2017, 5:23:12 PM4/20/17
to Micro Profile
Update to everyone on infrastructure for microprofile.io website.

We've got everything setup in a new Amazon EC2 account dedicated to MicroProfile and ready to start handing out access so more people can be enabled to do deploys etc.  I'll setup a time next week with a few people to sit with our lovely and talented Jonathan Fisher so he can get some keys out and walk people through their first deploy.

To kick things off I'd like to limit initial access to 5-6 people as they'll have *full access* to the account and can spin up 20 d2.8xlarge instance if they wanted to which would cost about $110 an hour.  There are permissions to control this, so hopefully, us 5-6 can figure that out and endeavor to give more access.

I personally believe community controlled infrastructure is vitally important to any collaboration and contribution to the infrastructure is just as important to MicroProfile as contributing to the Config API, JWT minimum requirements, failover and more.

I'd like to see how far we can push it.  Things I dream about:

 - staging.microprofile.io/<contributor>/  - A staging area for each person to try out changes to the website and propose them for inclusion in the main site.

 - start.microprofile.io -  A site inspired by start.spring.io where people can build a starter project that leverages the microprofile technologies of their choosing using the implementations of their choosing.  This could include things under development we want people to try out.  We could use this link in our talks to encourage feedback.  This would be the first part of any answer to "how do I get started?"

So, the first 5-6 of us will have the responsibility to enable that awesomeness and potential future.

Here's who I have slated for the new MicroProfile Infrastructure team based on who has actually contributed to one of the MicroProfile site repos and my eye for keeping things fair and balanced.  Please let me know if you'd like someone else in your org to have your access (and responsibility).

 - John Clingan - RedHat
 - John D. Ament - Independent
 - Jonathan Fisher - Tomitribe
 - Kevin Sutter - IBM
 - Martijn Verburg - LJC
 - Mike Croft - Payara

And of course as I've just introduced a new "team" with exactly zero input, it is of course a suggestion :)  We can do whatever we want based on community discussion.

-David

John Clingan

Apr 20, 2017, 7:12:24 PM4/20/17
to MicroProfile, Cesar Saavedra
That's a good way to start - the default suggestion moves forward unless others step in :-)

Cesar (cc'd), if you like getting your hands dirty with tech, feel free to step in my place to directly make changes based on marketing decisions.  Otherwise I can step up.

Martijn Verburg

Apr 21, 2017, 5:26:39 AM4/21/17
to David Blevins, Micro Profile
Looks at my name on the list suspiciously - yes, give me all the access to all the things - what could possibly go wrong? :-)

Cheers,
Martijn

Mike Croft

Apr 21, 2017, 6:01:20 AM4/21/17
to MicroProfile
Happy to be the nominated Payara person.

We use AWS ourselves, so we can use our own accounts for experimentation etc if needs be. I've never understood all the ins and outs of IAM, though I can certainly have a look at creating a locked-down user!

John Clingan

Apr 21, 2017, 12:56:34 PM4/21/17
to MicroProfile
Dude, that was funny. Nice response for a Friday :-)

csaa...@redhat.com

May 30, 2017, 3:14:51 PM5/30/17
to MicroProfile
Hi David,

Could you please give me access to Google Analytics for MicroProfile.io website? My email is csaa...@redhat.com

Thanks,
Cesar Saavedra

Cheers,
Martijn

Wayne Beaton

Jun 1, 2017, 5:50:17 PM6/1/17
to MicroProfile

The Eclipse Foundation holds and protects the MicroProfile trademark on behalf of the project and community.

In order for a claim on a trademark to be valid, it must be protected. As part of that protection, a set of trademark usage guidelines [1] has been established. Further, we've provided some guidelines for project teams on how to manage their project brand [2].

The short version is that you need to refer to the project as "Eclipse MicroProfile" on the microprofile.io website; you need to include a statement to the effect of "MicroProfile is a trademark of the Eclipse Foundation"; appropriate registration marks (e.g. tm) need to be applied to the first uses of the name; and you need to provide links back to the development website [3].

From the POV of the Eclipse Foundation, microprofile.io is a community site; there's more information in the handbook regarding the obligations for using the name on a community site [4].

FWIW, we've submitted the paperwork to register the MicroProfile trademark. For now, it should be "Eclipse MicroProfile(tm)", but this will need to change to "Eclipse MicroProfile(R)" after we get the registration number.

Please make this a priority.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects
The Eclipse Foundation

Kevin Sutter

Jun 2, 2017, 2:40:10 PM6/2/17
to MicroProfile, David Blevins
Wayne,
I've created the following Issue to get this resolved in short order...
https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-site-config/issues/76

Thanks,
Kevin

David Blevins

Jun 5, 2017, 6:01:30 PM6/5/17
to Micro Profile
Mike mentioned this to me as well at the May JCP EC face-to-face.  I filed this ticket and shot a note out to the list:

Kevin shot a note out to me asking if someone on the Tomitribe side can help execute and certainly, yes.  From a community perspective, I really want to make sure more people are enabled to update the site.  Not just enabled, but actually feel comfortable and welcome to do so.

Let's try this.  Is there anyone out there, currently involved in MicroProfile or not, who is looking for some way to contribute who would like to pair up with Jonathan Fisher or Thiago Veronezi and do this work?

Could be a great opportunity for someone keen to help.  If you have Groovy skills, that's a big bonus.

-David

David Blevins

Jun 5, 2017, 6:17:58 PM6/5/17
to Micro Profile
I just sent out a note on Twitter looking for volunteers, so for everyone coming from that direction here are some pointers:

 - The microprofile.io site is effectively written in Groovy with the page data in YAML and some data pulled via the Github API:

 - The site actually runs on the microprofile which is kind of neat.

 - The immediate need is to update the templates for Eclipse branding:

 - There is some potential cool future work:
      - staging.microprofile.io/<contributor>/  - A staging area for each person to try out changes to the website and propose them for inclusion in the main site.

     - start.microprofile.io -  A site inspired by start.spring.io where people can build a starter project that leverages the microprofile technologies of their choosing using the implementations of their choosing.  This could include things under development we want people to try out.  We could use this link in our talks to encourage feedback.  This would be the first part of any answer to "how do I get started?"

Any sort of "I'm interested" response is enough.  Jump in and we can go from there.

-David

Martijn Verburg

Jun 6, 2017, 1:33:28 AM6/6/17
to David Blevins, Micro Profile
I'm definitely interested in how to make small changes and get them deployed :-).

Cheers,
Martijn

Mike Croft

Jun 6, 2017, 5:24:59 AM6/6/17
to MicroProfile
I'm interested and I'm pretty sure Ondrej is too.

I haven't had any credentials sent over to redeploy the website, though - I thought we decided to use LastPass to share AWS account details, but haven't heard anything since then? Should I have received something by now?

David Blevins

Jun 7, 2017, 4:33:11 PM6/7/17
to Mike Croft, Jonathan Fisher, MicroProfile
Martjin and I weren’t on that hangout as it conflicted with the JCP EC meetup.

The purpose of the meeting was supposed to be to hand out credentials and walk everyone through their first deploy.  If we didn’t get that far, sounds like we should reschedule and try again.

On LastPass, I’m not up to speed what we were imagining there.  I remember the words entering an email and giving a generic “if anyone from infra can setup, sounds great.”  I definitely want to make sure the community has full access to everything.  If it’s one more thing to wait for access on, that’s a cause for pause.

--
David Blevins

On Jun 6, 2017, at 2:24 AM, Mike Croft <backtoth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm interested and I'm pretty sure Ondrej is too.

I haven't had any credentials sent over to redeploy the website, though - I thought we decided to use LastPass to share AWS account details, but haven't heard anything since then? Should I have received something by now?

Jonathan Fisher

Jun 7, 2017, 4:49:39 PM6/7/17
to David Blevins, Mike Croft, MicroProfile
Hello Guys,

The way we're going to distribute AWS credentials is not a shared account, myself or another AWS admin will create you an individual account attached to your name. This allows a little bit better auditing. If you are interested in accessing the AWS panel and maintaining/deploying, please let me know here and I will get you an account setup.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM, David Blevins <dble...@tomitribe.com> wrote:
[...]

John Clingan

Jun 7, 2017, 4:54:14 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile, backtoth...@gmail.com, jfi...@tomitribe.com
I'd like to recommend a different route for MicroProfile.io. Right now, it takes a strong developer skillset to manage MicroProfile.io, leaving our marketing folks pretty much out of out of the realm of web site updates. I personally wouldn't mind that the marketing folks "own" the microprofile.io web site, push out the messaging, be able to write blog posts and notify users of upcoming events we're going to be at, etc.

What do folks think of a wordpress-like infrastructure or similar?

[bracing for impact]

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 1:33:11 PM UTC-7, David Blevins wrote:
[...]

Ondrej Mihályi

Jun 8, 2017, 2:53:56 PM6/8/17
to MicroProfile, backtoth...@gmail.com, jfi...@tomitribe.com
I agree, although the current site looks very good, it's very hard to maintain even for developers. I know the engine supports reading content from other github repositories, which is nice, but still requires editing the content in github using ADOC syntax, which is better but still not really easy to use for most people.

Wrodpress works nice for JavaEE Guardians, and even though I don't like it much (PHP and sometimes very awkward management of updates, plugins and history), it's probably better than the current solution.

--Ondrej

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 10:54:14 PM UTC+2, John Clingan wrote:
[...]

David Blevins

Dec 10, 2018, 3:52:42 PM12/10/18
to Micro Profile
Ok, community, picking up this old thread from 20 months ago. The focus was to get to truly get infra control (and responsibility) into more hands. We didn't get very far. People signed up, access was given, but no one used it.

I've taken the initiative of creating a microprofile-infra@ google group and have sent invites to the following people:

- Kevin Sutter
- John Clingan
- Ondro Mihályi

I've made them all owner of the list as well. The spirit of that is there are at least four of us who have equal access (and responsibility) to decide who else should be granted admin to anything, including access to that list. Ask any one of us if you need access. Small caveat, if you work for or with one of them, ask them please.

I have:

- transferred the MicroProfile CloudFlare to that account
- added it as an admin to the WpEngine account that runs our Wordpress install
- transfered the MicroProfile AWS account to that address

Therefore, granting someone access to microprofile-infra@ is granting access to all of the above. I suggest we continue this practice with anything we create in the future and make 'microprofile-infra@' the account owner.

We should still use individual accounts where possible, so we know who is doing what. There are 47 users in our Wordpress install. There are 9 in our AWS account. There are 4 in our CloudFlare account (there need to be more).

David Blevins

Dec 15, 2020, 3:34:48 PM12/15/20
to MicroProfile, Summers Pittman ℝ
Hey Summers!

Per discussion today, added you to the infrastructure list.  Using this old thread for context.

-David