MP Architecture call

Ken Finnigan

Feb 4, 2019, 2:41:25 PM2/4/19
to MicroProfile
All,

Now that we've entered Feb it's time to organize another MP Architecture call, ideally for the end of the month unless insufficient people are able to attend.

Please vote for your availability here: https://doodle.com/poll/xqnnitr46ninui3a

Thanks
Ken

PS. Apologies if anyone received this twice, I had a failure to deliver message when posting on group directly

Ken Finnigan

Feb 12, 2019, 4:01:27 PM2/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
So far there have been a handful of responses for availability.

Please vote on the poll if you want to attend.

If there isn't sufficient interest for that week, I will try a different one.

Ken

Ken Finnigan

Feb 15, 2019, 1:41:23 PM2/15/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Final reminder to vote for next MP Architecture call.

On Monday COB I will close the poll, picking the time that most people can attend. Will add to MP calendar and send out details of chosen time.

Ken Finnigan

Feb 18, 2019, 3:36:27 PM2/18/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I've now closed the poll and added the meeting into the calendar.

It will be Monday 25th February at 12pm EST.

Thanks
Ken

Ken Finnigan

Feb 21, 2019, 4:03:32 PM2/21/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I've added some topics to the agenda for monday's meeting [1]

Ken

Kevin Sutter

Feb 25, 2019, 12:31:35 PM2/25/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
What time is/was this meeting?  According to this string of notes and our calendar, it should have been at 11:00am Central.  I was a bit late, but nobody was on...  Was it a bust, or is the time incorrect?  Or, are my calendars messed up?  :-)

Thanks!
Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ken Finnigan

Feb 25, 2019, 12:41:49 PM2/25/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
It was at 12pm EST.

There were only three of us so after 10 minutes we decided to call it.

Will follow up with some altering proposals for progress soon

Ken

Sent from my iPhone

Ken Finnigan

Feb 25, 2019, 1:46:45 PM2/25/19
to MicroProfile
As promised here is a followup.

We briefly discussed options to make progress at an architecture level, possibly in an async fashion.

Here are the ideas we came up with:
  • Add a gitter room for architecture specific discussions
  • Weekly or bi-weekly status email on outstanding architecture issues. Encourage discussion on particular GH issues to then lead to a resolution that could be voted on through Google Group post.
  • Possibly utilize off-weeks of the MP Hangout for MP Architecture calls (not every off week), to try and have a consistent day/time for the calls to improve attendance
These were just some ideas we tossed around while waiting to see if others would arrive.

If there's other ideas please comment.

Ken

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/38e9e5e3-9fe2-49ad-bb47-62b7f6e8e64a%40googlegroups.com.

Kevin Sutter

Feb 25, 2019, 3:55:28 PM2/25/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Again, my apologies for being late...  I had full intentions on attending...  No suitable excuses...  :-)  At least my calendar entry was correct...

Having a consistent time would be good and would encourage more participation, but I vote against having it on the alternate Tuesdays of the Hangout.  For one reason, these alternate Tuesdays are open for potential "special sessions" of the Hangout or other related meetings.  And, second, my Tuesdays are always booked to the extent that I am starting to hate Tuesdays worse than Mondays...  :-)

I'm as guilty as the next guy, but how do we encourage participation on the github issues in between our meetings?  Maybe having regularly schedule architecture calls would help us with looking at and participating on these issues.

-- Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/38e9e5e3-9fe2-49ad-bb47-62b7f6e8e64a%40googlegroups.com.

Ken Finnigan

Feb 25, 2019, 4:01:21 PM2/25/19
to MicroProfile
It happens, you being a bit late wasn't the reason it never happened.

If the occasional alternate Tuesday to the Hangout isn't an option, then it becomes quite difficult to find a time for a regular meeting given the number of weekly meetings for each specification, plus everyone's actual work meeting obligations, and still find a time that is mostly ok for Europe and both coasts of North America (sorry James).

That's why I wasn't sure if a regular status email was a good approach, highlighting issues that needed to be resolved, with maybe one or two in a category of "these have sat for months, make your view heard now. We're voting on what to do in a week", with then a followup email to actually vote on an issue.

Granted not every issue could be resolved in that fashion, simply because there would be too much disagreement to reach consensus in a GH issue, which would require an actual meeting to try to resolve.

Ken

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/38e9e5e3-9fe2-49ad-bb47-62b7f6e8e64a%40googlegroups.com.

Emily Jiang

Feb 25, 2019, 6:22:45 PM2/25/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the follow up! I planned to attend but was pulled away. Sorry about it!

Since this Monday slot was voted in, I think it is a good idea to keep it. Making it a bi-weekly meeting is a good idea so that people can make it to their routine.

Setting up a gitter room is a great idea so that we can discuss some issues and even remind people about the meetings:o.

Thanks
Emily

Ken Finnigan

Feb 26, 2019, 10:35:06 AM2/26/19
to MicroProfile
No worries Emily, it happens.

I've created https://gitter.im/eclipse/microprofile-architecture so we have a gitter room.

To specify a proper bi-weekly meeting I would prefer to have another Doodle poll as there could have been people that said the time was ok for that particular week, and in general it may not be. Plus it would be nice to find a time where as many people as possible that want to attend can.

Ken

Kevin Sutter

Feb 26, 2019, 10:37:13 AM2/26/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ken,
You mentioned "occasional" alternate Tuesdays?  So, not every alternate Tuesday?  That would probably work.  As long as we get it on the calendar in sufficient time.  If Tuesdays work the best, don't move them on account of me.  Thanks!

-- Kevin

Ken Finnigan

Feb 26, 2019, 10:39:22 AM2/26/19
to MicroProfile
Right, my initial thought was every 2nd alternate Tuesday, to make it about once a month.

If we think we need to meet every 2 weeks, then I can look to find another time

Ondro Mihályi

Feb 26, 2019, 5:49:31 PM2/26/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1 on having a hangout once a month.

Until now, we had it roughly every 2 months so jumping to every 2 weeks would be too much. We now have a gitter room to coordinate between the hangouts.

I think that having hangouts on the first alternate Tuesday of each month is a good option. I wouldn't try Mondays as it didn't work out this time (only 3 out of 8 people who voted for that time did join in the end). We can also have a doodle poll but as Ken said, it's hard to find a regular time slot that would be good for everybody.

Ondro

Ken Finnigan

Mar 11, 2019, 4:23:40 PM3/11/19
to MicroProfile
I've just added an entry in the MP calendar for a monthly call in the off week of the current MP Hangout.

First call will be March 26th @ 2pm EDT.

Amelia Eiras

Mar 12, 2019, 5:42:03 PM3/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1 to 1 per month :)

Adding reminders on that call. Thanks Ken!

Kevin Sutter

Mar 19, 2019, 9:40:27 AM3/19/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Ken,
Thanks for organizing this Architecture call.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend next week's call.  I have a *real* vacation lined up and I plan to shut off work for the week!  :-)

Take care!
Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ken Finnigan

Mar 26, 2019, 4:38:48 PM3/26/19
to MicroProfile
Thanks to all that were able to attend todays call, there was some great discussion!

John is uploading the meeting recording to YouTube and will share here when done.

Thanks
Ken

Amelia Eiras

Mar 26, 2019, 4:40:58 PM3/26/19
to MicroProfile
if John is able to tweet the video along side with the minutes that would be great for a re-tweet from the MP handle.

FYI— the call was valuable!