@Asynchronous in Fault Tolerance spec?

Arjan Tijms

Nov 6, 2017, 7:24:47 AM11/6/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

I noticed there's an @Asynchronous annotation in the Fault Tolerance spec, but I wonder whether this is really the best place for it.

This annotation was planned for a long time to be in the Java EE Concurrency spec. As it stands I think @Asynchronous isn't really specific to Fault Tolerance at all, but is basically just a general concurrency annotation.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Ondro Mihályi

Nov 6, 2017, 7:53:53 AM11/6/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I agree that @Asynchronous annotation isn't related only to fault tolerance and should be defined in some other place. Ideally in a new spec that covers thread processing and reactive programming, and possibly reuses parts of Java EE Concurrency Utilities.

--Ondro

Emily Jiang

Nov 6, 2017, 10:10:32 AM11/6/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
The usage of @Asynchronous is more related to @Bulkhead. When used together, the threading flavor of bulkhead can be achieved.

When used on it own, it means the invocation is done via a separate thread. The similar functionality is in Hystrix and Failsafe.

Emily

m.reza.rahman

Nov 8, 2017, 8:46:40 AM11/8/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Where can I find out a bit more about how this is specified as part of fault tolerance? I agree @Asynchronous is valuable in situations that have nothing to do with fault tolerance at all. The best place for this annotation is really in either CDI itself or in Java EE Concurrency.

Emily Jiang

Nov 8, 2017, 5:17:17 PM11/8/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Here it is!