Community code of conduct

Martijn Verburg

Aug 2, 2016, 7:54:26 AM8/2/16
to MicroProfile
Hi all,

I've started a draft Community code of conduct here:

I've opened it up to comments from anyone who has the link and will leave that open for a week and then have a simple ratification vote.

One outstanding piece is that there should be a way to report violations and have them acted upon. My suggestion is that we have a simple Google form and have that sent to a group of three (3 as to break any deadlock) community members for review and action.

If that's acceptable to everyone then I'll ask for nominations for the 3 community conduct volunteers.

Cheers,
Martijn

Alasdair Nottingham

Aug 2, 2016, 8:04:34 AM8/2/16
to Martijn Verburg, MicroProfile
Looks fine to me.

Alasdair Nottingham

Werner Keil

Aug 2, 2016, 8:41:27 AM8/2/16
to MicroProfile, martijn...@gmail.com
Looks OK (somewhere along the lines of what Java EE Guardians introduced)

As to some of the points Heiko and Mark Little made in other threads, I think the site also could use a slightly more distinct wording other than "When there is enough stability and functionality in areas of commonality, the result may be considered for standardization."

Especially, that MicroProfile itself does not intend to standardize anything (or fork existing standards).
So hopefully the use of "javax.", "java." or "jdk." here can be more easily avoided in the future other than as pre-existing dependencies.

Werner

Werner Keil

Aug 2, 2016, 8:49:58 AM8/2/16
to MicroProfile, martijn...@gmail.com
I did not see, where the Guardians published theirs, but one inspiration or blueprint we found a good match was OCI
https://github.com/opencontainers/tob/blob/master/code-of-conduct.md
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
Is a good point in its code of conduct.

Heiko Braun

Aug 2, 2016, 4:14:59 PM8/2/16
to MicroProfile, martijn...@gmail.com
That's similar to what WildFly Swarm uses. It's adopted form here: http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/

Mike Croft

Aug 3, 2016, 4:36:15 AM8/3/16
to MicroProfile
+1

These things, sadly, always seem needed. This is very succinct, Martijn, thank you! I also agree on the violations reporting.

Heiko Braun

Aug 3, 2016, 6:05:35 AM8/3/16
to MicroProfile

Martijn, would it make sense to simply use [1], opposed to writing our own? Is there anything that needs to be excluded or expresses differently? I appreciate the work you've done, but it seems [1] is a more elaborate version along the same lines?

Regards, Heiko

Martijn Verburg

Aug 3, 2016, 8:55:51 AM8/3/16
to Heiko Braun, MicroProfile
Hi Heiko,

Looks like the links didn't come through on my mail client, not sure what [1] is referring too?  One reason to have our own is so we have our own specific resolution mechanism.

Cheers,
Martijn

On 3 August 2016 at 11:05, 'Heiko Braun' via MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Martijn, would it make sense to simply use [1], opposed to writing our own? Is there anything that needs to be excluded or expresses differently? I appreciate the work you've done, but it seems [1] is a more elaborate version along the same lines?

Regards, Heiko

Heiko Braun

Aug 3, 2016, 9:37:35 AM8/3/16
to Martijn Verburg, MicroProfile
My mistake, here's the link I did refer to: http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/

Martijn Verburg

Aug 3, 2016, 10:34:35 AM8/3/16
to Heiko Braun, MicroProfile
Hi Heiko,

Thanks, yeah I think that wording would do just as well, it's really the enforcement section that now becomes important.

Question to the community - How would you like to see this handled?  I've proposed that 3 volunteers who are nominated by their peers in this community form the group which deals with any issues arising WRT to conduct.  Have other people seen approaches that work well?

Cheers,
Martijn

Werner Keil

Aug 3, 2016, 3:10:46 PM8/3/16
to MicroProfile, ike....@googlemail.com
http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/ sounds pretty similar to what OCI used.

Cheers,
Werner

Alasdair Nottingham

Aug 3, 2016, 7:17:45 PM8/3/16
to Martijn Verburg, Heiko Braun, MicroProfile
Hi,

I like the idea of 3 volunteers. I think it is critical that the group has transparency in decision making, while respecting the privacy of anyone reporting issues. I think the group of 3 also needs to be representative of the community participating, so I think we need to cover how these people will be start and end their appointments in more detail than just be nominated by the community.

Thanks
Alasdair

Martijn Verburg

Aug 4, 2016, 4:34:43 AM8/4/16
to Alasdair Nottingham, Heiko Braun, MicroProfile
Hi Alasdair,

All fair points, I've updated the conduct doc with a proposed Enforcement Group section.

Cheers,
Martijn

Martijn Verburg

Aug 10, 2016, 4:46:18 AM8/10/16
to Alasdair Nottingham, Heiko Braun, MicroProfile
Hi all,

With no further comments or objections I think we can move onto nominating the 3 community candidates.  I'll start a separate thread for this.

Cheers,
Martijn

On 3 August 2016 at 11:05, 'Heiko Braun' via MicroProfile <microprofile@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Martijn, would it make sense to simply use [1], opposed to writing our own? Is there anything that needs to be excluded or expresses differently? I appreciate the work you've done, but it seems [1] is a more elaborate version along the same lines?

Regards, Heiko

Mark Struberg

Aug 16, 2016, 12:06:17 PM8/16/16
to MicroProfile, alasdair....@gmail.com, ike....@googlemail.com
How to nominate the community candidates?
Per email or just reply in this thread?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Cheers,
Martijn

Cheers,
Martijn

Cheers,
Martijn

Cheers,
Martijn

Alasdair Nottingham

Aug 16, 2016, 1:13:55 PM8/16/16
to Mark Struberg, MicroProfile, ike....@googlemail.com

Antonio Goncalves

Aug 17, 2016, 8:36:33 AM8/17/16
to Alasdair Nottingham, Mark Struberg, MicroProfile, Heiko Braun
OH NO !!!!!  Back from holidays, and here is YACoC (Yet Another Code of Conduct).

Don't know about you, but each time I arrive in a group with a CoC I think to myself "these guys have to be rude, agressive and disrespectful to have created a CoC to remind them to be kind".

Maybe this is YACD (Yet Another Cultural Difference), but I really hate CoC. I apply a CoC on my daughter (who is growing up and needs to learn about behaviour), but I expect adults to behave like adults. I definitely won't be applying for the enforcement group.

Antonio

Antonio Goncalves
Software architect, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Web site | TwitterLinkedIn | Pluralsight | Paris JUG | Devoxx France

Martijn Verburg

Aug 17, 2016, 9:29:38 AM8/17/16
to Antonio Goncalves, Alasdair Nottingham, Mark Struberg, MicroProfile, Heiko Braun
Hi Antonio,

I sympathise, but we al come from different backgrounds, cultures and writing styles etc, so it's healthy to set common ground.  The nomination period has now finished and I'll start a voting poll.

Cheers,
Martijn

John Clingan

Aug 22, 2016, 6:30:31 PM8/22/16
to MicroProfile, antonio....@gmail.com, alasdair....@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com, ike....@googlemail.com
I agree with Antonio. I'm not a fan of Code's of Conduct either. "Be nice. Be respectful. Or ye' will be banned." is good enough for me :-)

Martijn Verburg

Aug 23, 2016, 4:10:33 AM8/23/16
to John Clingan, MicroProfile, Antonio Goncalves, Alasdair Nottingham, Mark Struberg, Heiko Braun
It seems that there isn't broad support for this and I've got plenty of other work to be getting on with, so consider it dropped :-).

Cheers,
Martijn

Werner Keil

Aug 23, 2016, 7:38:11 AM8/23/16
to MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com, antonio....@gmail.com, alasdair....@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com, ike....@googlemail.com
Ok, probably something to pick up by an actual Foundation once that's found/incorporated ;-)

Cheers,
Werner

Cheers,
Martijn

Cheers,
Martijn

Antonio Goncalves
Software architect, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Web site | TwitterLinkedIn | Pluralsight | Paris JUG | Devoxx France

John Clingan

Aug 23, 2016, 9:22:16 AM8/23/16
to Werner Keil, MicroProfile, antonio....@gmail.com, alasdair....@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com, ike....@googlemail.com
+1. Thanks for being proactive, though :-)