Claims from JWT used for distributed tracing

Michael Hofmann

Oct 13, 2017, 7:37:25 AM10/13/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

to gather infos from the behaviour of the users and to analyse bugs, it would be helpful to identify this person and integrate this info into the trace-output.
Is this planned for the future release opentracing?

Using a special claim in the incoming jwt token (jti for example) could be automatically extracted and transfered into the tracing output.

If you don't use security, an alternative could be something like a correlation-id (UUID) which can be included in the HTTP header. If this exists, we could use this value to identify the caller.

Regards,
Michael

Alasdair Nottingham

Nov 2, 2017, 8:59:33 PM11/2/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Could it not use the upn which is already there?

Michael Hofmann

Nov 6, 2017, 5:21:43 AM11/6/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
In germany/europe we have strict laws concering protection of personal data. Therefore it might be forbidden in some cases to trace this data. It would be easier to specify (config-value) the claim-name for trace information. This makes us more flexible.