JavaOne 2017 submission

Mark Little

Apr 10, 2017, 6:58:53 AM4/10/17
to MicroProfile
Guys, as I mentioned last week, I intend to submit a session to JavaOne around the ideas discussed in this group where we would have representatives from contributors. If you would like to be included on that session (details in the archive) then please email here your name, company and email address to be used for the submission. I’m on vacation this week and internet access is a bit flakey so there’s a good chance I now won’t get to do this until later in the week or even the weekend when I return. So not only does it help me to have these details in this group but also in case someone else wants to get to it before I do (very welcome) then they also have the same details. Obviously if someone else does then please let me/us know so there’s no duplicate, and likewise I will email this group once I’ve done so.

Mark.

Mike Croft

Apr 11, 2017, 3:58:33 AM4/11/17
to MicroProfile
Payara will be sending a contingent, though I'm not sure of exactly who just yet. We're trying to finalise details over the coming days as best we can - if you really need to put a name down you can put me down and it can always be changed later if necessary.

Werner Keil

Apr 11, 2017, 7:00:22 AM4/11/17
to MicroProfile
Hi,

At least those also in the JCP / EC are usually there, so if there was some form of panel, we'd be more than happy to participate in a joint session. Either in the official JavaOne program or something like the event in the hotel last year.

I noticed the BOF at DevoXX US was put on a "Late Night" spot. And seemed no more than half a dozen people at most. If you get a spot between 9pm and 10pm or later, that is usually the case, especially if beer and parties are happening at the same time.

Naturally BOFs at JavaOne come with the same risk. Doing some with "Hot topics" like Bitcoin we saw a decent crowd even for a late time as 9pm or later, but take the average JCP related BOF regardless of the particular JSR, you could often see no more than 3, 5 or 10 people max.

Any plans on what to propose and where?

Werner

John Clingan

Apr 11, 2017, 9:39:47 AM4/11/17
to Werner Keil, MicroProfile
I (since Mark is on PTO) plan to submit a panel session at JavaOne instead of a BOF.  ("Accelerating the adoption of Java 8 with microprofile")

The BOF at the Devoxx.us was late, but I was surprised at how many actually showed. We probably had roughly 20 comma although some more friends and family. A session would definitely have been better, though.

Emily Jiang

Apr 11, 2017, 10:10:45 AM4/11/17
to MicroProfile, werne...@gmail.com
+1 on proposing a session! I was surprised that our BOF was well attended:o, compared with some JSR sessions during the day with less than 10 attendees. A formal session would get more attendees.

Emily

Kevin Sutter

Apr 12, 2017, 2:50:09 PM4/12/17
to MicroProfile
Hi,
I think every lead (or rep) from each of our key features for MP 1.1 and MP 1.2 (real and imagined) should submit an abstract proposal.  For example, the following features should submit individual proposals -- config, fault tolerance, jwt propagation, and health check/monitoring.  I would use terms and expressions that show we are working with the enterprise java community to define these specs, apis, implementations for microprofile.  I think we have to be clear that these are related to the microprofile effort, otherwise there may be confusion with similarly proposed JSRs for Java EE.  Explain our open Apache-licensed community and we welcome participation.

Of course, the abstracts do not have to be too lengthy.  Focus on the technology, not the product or project.  You can always add the "meat" to the actual presentation.  But, we need to start promoting the individual technologies in addition to the overall MicroProfile project.

Maybe think about hooking up with an existing Rock Star as co-presenter to give your talk more weight.  For example, David Blevins and Arun Gupta come to mind.  Sorry if I am overlooking any other Rock Stars in our contingent...  :-)

I think we'll be very lucky to get any abstracts accepted by the JavaOne selection committee, but the more we submit, the better our chances.

Besides the panel discussion that John and/or Mark are submitting, I plan to submit the following:
o  Our experiences with becoming an Eclipse project
o  Relationship between Java EE, MicroProfile, and the Application Server

Brainstorm and come up with some new ideas on how to promote MicroProfile at this key event.
Thanks, Kevin

Mark Little

Apr 13, 2017, 8:29:47 AM4/13/17
to Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile

Ondrej Mihályi

Apr 13, 2017, 1:52:15 PM4/13/17
to MicroProfile
Kevin,

I added your suggestions to the spreadsheet I created earlier:

--Ondrej

Dňa streda, 12. apríla 2017 20:50:09 UTC+2 Kevin Sutter napísal(-a):

John Clingan

Apr 13, 2017, 4:10:26 PM4/13/17
to MicroProfile
We still need submitters, though. I suspect Heiko can submit a session but I think he's still out on PTO this week. Will catch up to him next week.

Kevin Sutter

Apr 13, 2017, 6:30:12 PM4/13/17
to Ondrej Mihályi, MicroProfile
Thank you, Ondrej.  I just updated the spreadsheet with the session numbers and titles.

Kevin

Heiko Rupp

Apr 19, 2017, 12:08:14 PM4/19/17
to MicroProfile
Which Heiko? But yes I will submit on metrics/telemetry.

  Heiko

John Clingan

Apr 21, 2017, 12:55:40 PM4/21/17
to MicroProfile
Hey everyone, a reminder to submit JavaOne talks by Sunday. I am pinning this discussion to the top.

If you have any MicroProfile-related talks, even in the context of a vendor product or programming patterns session, please put in the spreadsheet. We really need to understand our JavaOne coverage.

Ondrej Mihályi

Apr 22, 2017, 3:48:03 PM4/22/17
to MicroProfile
Hi,

Has anyone submitted MicroProfile BOF?

John, would you do that?

--Ondrej

Kevin Sutter

Apr 26, 2017, 9:46:59 AM4/26/17
to MicroProfile
FYI, the deadline for JavaOne CFP was extended to Monday, May 1:
https://reg.rainfocus.com/flow/oracle/oow17/cfp/cfpHome

So, we still have time to get some last minute proposals in place...

Kevin

Martijn Verburg

Apr 26, 2017, 9:53:18 AM4/26/17
to Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile
Hi all,

I know there was a proposed panel discussion - looks like I may be going to J1 after all - so happy to have my name put down if that helps.

Cheers,
Martijn

Kevin Sutter

May 2, 2017, 11:40:06 AM5/2/17
to MicroProfile
Looks like they extended the CFP for JavaOne 2017 to May 7...
https://reg.rainfocus.com/flow/oracle/oow17/cfp/cfpHome

One more week for racking your brain and coming up with new ideas...  :-)

Kevin

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IaZKB1hQGjSCHE14ynKzTpLUTi7LgS8i7K4UiV7srLc/edit#gid=0

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 3:58:53 AM UTC-7, Mark Little wrote:
Guys, as I mentioned last week, I intend to submit a session to JavaOne around the ideas discussed in this group where we would have representatives from contributors. If you would like to be included on that session (details in the archive) then please email here your name, company and email address to be used for the submission. I’m on vacation this week and internet access is a bit flakey so there’s a good chance I now won’t get to do this until later in the week or even the weekend when I return. So not only does it help me to have these details in this group but also in case someone else wants to get to it before I do (very welcome) then they also have the same details. Obviously if someone else does then please let me/us know so there’s no duplicate, and likewise I will email this group once I’ve done so.

Mark.

John Clingan

May 2, 2017, 12:51:00 PM5/2/17
to MicroProfile, kwsu...@gmail.com
Thanks Martijn. I'll jot you down as a LJC representative on the panel.

John Clingan

Jul 20, 2017, 5:18:31 PM7/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Reviving this thread. JavaOne conference session notifications are going out. The "Accelerating the Adoption of Java EE 8 with MicroProfile" panel session has been accepted. I've added a "status" column to the spreadsheet. It's been a while, so if you'd like to be on the panel, please add a comment to the "more details" cell letting me know if you'll be able to be on the panel. I think 5 on the panel plus moderator is the max we can handle, although we may hand a mic around as we've had ad-hoc panel members in the past :-) Ondrej has already volunteered, and no more than 1 per vendor and at least one non-vendor. I know attendance may depend on whether or not other sessions have been accepted. I'd like to get a good count so I can ensure we get a room with enough mic's/chairs.

Thanks!