Votes for nominees for community code of conduct

martijn...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 9:44:20 AM8/17/16
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Google Forms
Having trouble with viewing or submitting this form?
FILL IN USING GOOGLE FORMS
Hi all,

These six folks are the nominees (I excluded Antonio as per his request), you have up to three votes each and it's OK to vote for more than one person from an org but as per the rules only one person per org can represent at a time (highest votes will win).

John Clingan (RH)
Arjan Tijms (?)
Alasdair Nottingham (IBM)
Mark Little (RH)
Amelia Eiras (Tomi)
Martijn Verburg (LJC)

Cheers,
Martijn
Nomination for Code of Conduct Group
Please send in your votes for 3 of the community members you'd like to see represent microprofile in matters of community conduct. You can send in up to three votes.
    Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
Powered by
Google Forms
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Report Abuse - Terms of Service - Additional Terms
Create your own Google Form

Werner Keil

Aug 17, 2016, 10:40:52 AM8/17/16
to MicroProfile, martijn...@gmail.com
Martijn,

Thanks, just voted.
According to jcp.org, Arjan is affiliated with ZEEF btw. Maybe you can update the document?

Werner

Mark Little

Aug 17, 2016, 10:47:31 AM8/17/16
to martijn...@gmail.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Just voted and didn’t vote for myself :)

Amelia Eiras

Aug 18, 2016, 6:52:55 PM8/18/16
to MicroProfile, martijn...@gmail.com
Though I feel honored to be considered 1 of the 6 nominees for the MicroProfile code of conduct,  I am not able to vote.

It seems unfair to ask & expect 3 individuals to judge & protect the professional conduct of the MicroProfile active members.  MicroProfile is not a corporation, it is not a for-profit entity.   Its participation is voluntary, therefore it is up to each one of us to keep its environment healthy, fun & welcoming!

I have said it before & will do so again, I do not agree with policing, giving ultimatums…. blocking willing voluntary participants under any circumstances.

 MicroProfile project ought to be able to withstand all its active members’ feedback without discouraging it. Thus far, MicroProfile has a healthy individual participation, which is allowing its active members the ownership to individually stand up for their ideas & debate, openly.
 As such, its current & future members ought to be OK to know when to END a conversation, if common ground is not found.  Dwelling on “stuff”, being defensive & not keeping a receptive mind is bothersome and it is ineffective to this project’s growth & value.  Simple put, the opportunity cost of waisting time on such environment is too great to welcome future valuable collaborators.

A rational adult, who decides to collaborate in MicroProfile makes himself/herself responsible to protect the current MicroProfile environment.  Each participant is expected to speak up, be honest, candid…  without glamouring ourselves.  Simplicity works!

The Java & OSS Community is freaking amazing, it is because of it people! :)

A.

Martijn Verburg

Aug 19, 2016, 3:09:47 AM8/19/16
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for posting!  I know that (like Antonio) it seems counter-intuitive to have a code of conduct and a process around that, when for much of the time Java/OSS communities are pretty good!

However, we do have people in the group who are from very different cultural backgrounds and/or have very different communication styles. I've found that it always helps to have the ethos of the expected culture written down which lists some specific do's and don'ts (and also has a fair process to deal with any issues).

A code of conduct is also a public statement to the world that this is a community which does expect certain behaviour. That to me is very important as there are so many toxic communities out there and people are afraid to join new ones if they don't see a code of conduct.  I know for example that when we set a Code of Conduct for Devoxx UK, our registrations from traditionally under-represented groups sky rocketed.

Cheers,
Martijn

Amelia Eiras

Aug 20, 2016, 4:36:54 PM8/20/16
to MicroProfile, aei...@tomitribe.com
Hola wonderful Martijn,

As a member,  I appreciate how easy it is to share my thoughts on this matter.

The quality of what we believe is needed to help standardize the MicroProfile social connectedness ought to mean, each one of us feels  obliged to  self-disclose thoughts/ideas in any form, example the call for a vote.

 If the majority of the MicroProfile 339 members (at least 51% or more) vote to elect 3 individuals, that robust voter turnout directly shows a healthy democratic environment that has the proper engagement on this topic.   However, if low vote turnout occurs, the vote & result ought to be voided.

Happy wknd everyone!

A.

Martijn Verburg

Aug 22, 2016, 4:54:37 AM8/22/16
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile
Hi Amelia,

I was re-reading the thread and am I correct in saying that you're OK with the code of conduct but not having the 3 individuals (or any other system) 'enforce' it?

Cheers,
Martijn

Mark Struberg

Aug 22, 2016, 9:42:42 AM8/22/16
to MicroProfile, aei...@tomitribe.com
How many people did vote?

If there are quite some people who voted, then it's imo a sign that people think we need this CoC.

LieGrue,
strub

Cheers,
Martijn

Martijn Verburg

Aug 22, 2016, 10:36:31 AM8/22/16
to Mark Struberg, MicroProfile, aei...@tomitribe.com
26 so far
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Mark Struberg

Aug 22, 2016, 2:28:56 PM8/22/16
to MicroProfile
And how many people have actively posted in this list so far?
There are tons of 'read-only' accounts I guess...

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Martijn Verburg

Aug 23, 2016, 4:16:09 PM8/23/16
to Mark Struberg, MicroProfile
Just to close this thread, this has been dropped as per the other discussion.

Cheers,
Martijn