Website refresh

David Blevins

Jun 14, 2017, 11:54:16 PM6/14/17
to MicroProfile, Thiago Veronezi, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
Hey All!

After Tuesday’s MicroProfile call it was clear it’s time to get some time dedicated to the website.  So here’s a quick prototype:

Eclipse branding is in the title and there is now a footer with the Eclipse logo and same links as on the Vertx.io website.  Wayne, if you can have someone take a look that’d be great.

This is not live (FYI Thiago, don’t refresh CloudFlare just yet so we have time to review).

The presentation page is updated:

There’s a new projects list (the text is filler):

When we create a new repo, we simply update this file:

The README of that github repo will then be the main page for that project.  You can use whatever markup for the README that Github supports.  And it will give you a “default” rendering like this:

Inside each repo you can put a “site.yaml” to get releases and documentation listed along the right side, change the page title and description.

Thiago, can you make a PR to microprofile-config that adds a reference site.yaml which lists this documentation in the right side:

If you like anything, send your praise to Thiago and Ryan :)

Changes and feature requests welcome.  Wanted to get this kicked out to everyone in some still-unfinished state so there’s still room for input, yet not still at zero — i.e that magical open source balance: loop everyone in when there’s something to tweak, yet not too hardened.

Wayne Beaton

Jun 15, 2017, 10:27:49 AM6/15/17
to David Blevins, MicroProfile, Thiago Veronezi, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
The first reference to MicroProfile in the text should be "Eclipse MicroProfile".

When we've successfully registered the trademark, I'll get you to put an (R) after the name; let's hold on that for now.

Based on my understanding of trademark law, you should also try to work a "tm" into the logo somehow.

I think that it's otherwise good.

Thanks,

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 15, 2017, 10:37:37 AM6/15/17
to Wayne Beaton, David Blevins, MicroProfile, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
Hi David,

>> This is not live (FYI Thiago, don’t refresh CloudFlare just yet so we have time to review).
Cloudflare already picked up the changes. It did it automatically. Want me to revert it?

>> Thiago, can you make a PR to microprofile-config that adds a reference site.yaml which lists this documentation in the right side
Yup. Addressing it now.

[]s,
Thiago.

Kevin Sutter

Jun 15, 2017, 3:25:24 PM6/15/17
to MicroProfile
This is looking pretty good.  I haven't dug into the specifics yet, but I'm hoping that this inclusion of data from our github repos can follow the conventions and requirements for the various files (license, notice, readme, contributing, etc).

Thanks, Kevin

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 9:37:37 AM UTC-5, Thiago Veronezi wrote:
Hi David,

>> This is not live (FYI Thiago, don’t refresh CloudFlare just yet so we have time to review).
Cloudflare already picked up the changes. It did it automatically. Want me to revert it?

>> Thiago, can you make a PR to microprofile-config that adds a reference site.yaml which lists this documentation in the right side
Yup. Addressing it now.

[]s,
Thiago.

Kevin Sutter

Jun 15, 2017, 3:31:44 PM6/15/17
to MicroProfile, tver...@tomitribe.com
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:54:16 PM UTC-5, David Blevins wrote:

When we create a new repo, we simply update this file:

Can this file become more dynamic similar to how our github repos are picked up by Eclipse?  To populate our Eclipse repo page, I just have to specify the top-level repo (microprofile) and then wild card the rest (microprofile-*).  I separate these two to ensure that the single microprofile repo is listed first, followed by the rest of the microprofile repos.  If we could go this dynamic route, then any microprofile repo with the proper yaml reference would automatically get picked up on the microprofile.io site.  Possible?

Thanks, Kevin

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 15, 2017, 3:59:55 PM6/15/17
to Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback.

The way the site is implemented right now, the individual projects don't need to have a configuration file. They can have it for more control over the published content, though. Projects with no `site.yaml` file are published with the following configuration.

friendly_name: <username or organization>/<project name> [for example: 'eclipse/microprofile-health']
home: README.adoc or README.md

A custom configuration would be something like...

%YAML 1.2
---
friendly_name: "My custom name"
home: DOCUMENTATION.adoc

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

This PR has another example of site.yaml -> https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/pull/171

Kevin, I like the idea of having wildcards. It's definitely possible to do it, but I'm not so sure what to do with the projects with no `site.yaml`. Should we skip publishing projects with no site.yaml in case there is no exact match for them in the main https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-site-config/blob/master/site.yaml file? Like, if we use wildcards and the project has no site.yaml file, don't publish it; Or should we publish every match?

[]s,
Thiago.

David Blevins

Jun 15, 2017, 5:23:02 PM6/15/17
to Kevin Sutter, Thiago Veronezi, MicroProfile
We could do pretty much anything we want.  Definitely it being “touchless” is a big part of the motivation of drafting up this kind of infrastructure.

The one consideration would be the order things are listed in the project’s page is the order they’re listed is microprofile-site-config/blob/master/site.yaml

So here’s a clever compromise!  How about we have the stuff explicitly listed in microprofile-site-config/blob/master/site.yaml at the top and in the order mentioned.  Everything that matches the regex pattern(s) comes after.  Obviously, no duplicates.

Seems then we could be both lazy and picky.

-David

Kevin Sutter

Jun 15, 2017, 5:25:26 PM6/15/17
to David Blevins, Thiago Veronezi, MicroProfile
Sounds like an excellent compromise!  Thanks.

--  Kevin

Emily Jiang

Jun 15, 2017, 5:37:24 PM6/15/17
to MicroProfile, dble...@tomitribe.com, tver...@tomitribe.com
Is it possible to order the projects alphabetically based on their name? In this way, do not bother to order the projects at all in the file and it is much easier to navigate (I am hoping to see many more projects appearing:o).

Emily

John Clingan

Jun 15, 2017, 6:08:40 PM6/15/17
to MicroProfile, dble...@tomitribe.com, tver...@tomitribe.com, rstj...@tomitribe.com, wayne....@eclipse.org, Cesar Saavedra
Cesar, can you please note Wayne's "tm" in the logo. Something for the logo team to integrate if they haven't done so already.

John Clingan

Jun 15, 2017, 6:18:15 PM6/15/17
to MicroProfile, tver...@tomitribe.com, rstj...@tomitribe.com, wayne....@eclipse.org
Thanks for starting the thread.  I was a bit slow on the trigger based on the hangout :-/

1) Wow. The project page(s) rock!

2) We should probably remove the survey from the home page. I think we're already well on our way with a lot of projects to keep us busy.

3) How do we (or marketing) update the presentations page? Related to this ...

4) ... one thing we had discussed was taking an approach that merged wordpress and the current approach. The goal is to balance the ability for marketing to manage some content while the developers could manage other aspects (like the awesome project pages). IIRC, you mentioned that tomitribe.io takes this approach. How do we get to such a setup? Marketing may want to create a marketing calendar, write blog entries, create sub-pages, etc.

David Blevins

Jun 15, 2017, 7:34:55 PM6/15/17
to John Clingan, MicroProfile, Thiago Veronezi, Ryan St. James, wayne....@eclipse.org
> On Jun 15, 2017, at 3:18 PM, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> 2) We should probably remove the survey from the home page. I think we're already well on our way with a lot of projects to keep us busy.

We could probably replace that with a project carousel.

> 3) How do we (or marketing) update the presentations page? Related to this …

Looks like it’s hardcoded, so we’ll definitely want to move them out. Thiago, can we put the presentation PDFs in microprofile-site-config along with a microprofile-site-config/presentations.yaml file where we can have an entry for each presentation?

The goal is that anything that must be routinely updated is 1000 feet away from anything that is code. The content repo is meant to be plain text, code free and feel safe to update. The intended split is:

- microprofile-site (the code)
- microprofile-site-config (content & config)

So the presentation list and presentation files should really be in microprofile-site-config. The content is actually spread across all the github repos, like microprofile-config, etc. That content is auto-reloaded if there is a webhook is installed in the github repo or on the hour otherwise.

For ease of speaking about #4, we call this “gitpress”; templates backed by multiple git repos. Wordpress is templates backed by a database.

> 4) ... one thing we had discussed was taking an approach that merged wordpress and the current approach. The goal is to balance the ability for marketing to manage some content while the developers could manage other aspects (like the awesome project pages). IIRC, you mentioned that tomitribe.io takes this approach. How do we get to such a setup? Marketing may want to create a marketing calendar, write blog entries, create sub-pages, etc.

We can definitely do that. As I noted on the call “gitpress” is really designed to enable developers to participate with a low bar in the marketing in areas where they are the content creators. Projects, presentations, etc.

That’s not everywhere.

To sew in something like wordpress, we’d just need an httpd (or similar) proxy with a couple lines of mod_rewrite to send pages that match specific URL patterns to “gitpress”, say /projects/(.*), with the rest going to wordpress. There is actually a proxy there already.

The “this is no fun” moment tends to be keeping the templates in sync. Adding a link to the top of every page or changing the footer is one of those things that would involve updating the templates of both "gitpress" and wordpress. Adding new pages to either system does not require an update in the other.

-David

Heiko Rupp

Jun 16, 2017, 8:47:50 AM6/16/17

Am Donnerstag, 15. Juni 2017 05:54:16 UTC+2 schrieb David Blevins:
Hey All!

After Tuesday’s MicroProfile call it was clear it’s time to get some time dedicated to the website.  So here’s a quick prototype:

That's great.
I am still missing some way of referencing outside things like presentations or mentions on Twitter etc

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 16, 2017, 10:47:20 AM6/16/17
to David Blevins, John Clingan, MicroProfile, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
We could probably replace that with a project carousel.

Yes. Projects with description (and icon?) could go there.

Thiago, can we put the presentation PDFs in microprofile-site-config along with a microprofile-site-config/presentations.yaml file where we can have an entry for each presentation?

Yes. We need a new presentations page layout for this. Ryan and I implemented this thinking only in one presentation entry in mind for now.

Regarding Wordpress. If the wordpress (WP) generated pages are simple enough, the microprofile.io server could load them from an external WP server, strip all the unnecessary tags from the page (the 'html', 'head', 'script', 'link' etc) and render the content of the page body on microprofile.io. So, this way, microprofile.io would work like a proxy to the WP server (Or anything that generates HTML content). WP would provide some of the microprofile.io content in html format, and microprofile.io would apply style to this content. The WP content should be very simple and should not require JavaScript for this to work properly.

I was doing some tests and it's possible. Bellow you see an endpoint loading the content of https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/wiki/Comparion-of-solutions-to-resolve-conflicting-keys-in-multiple-sources-(provide-ordering-for-sources) as a string.

Inline image 2
This is the actual page...
Inline image 3

What do you guys think?

[]s,
Thiago.

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 16, 2017, 9:06:56 PM6/16/17
to David Blevins, John Clingan, MicroProfile, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
Dear Microprofile community,

This is just a quick email to let you know that the first round of facelifting for our microprofile.io website is done. We added references to Eclipse, adjusted the styles of the landing and presentations pages, and created two new ones for the projects listing and projects details.

The next step is to fine-tune the style of the documentation for each individual project and add some style to the blog page. The presentations will also change. We will make it possible to list presentations via the https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-site-config/blob/master/site.yaml file.

Thank you Ryan St. James for helping us with the product design! Thanks Emily-Jiang for merging the PR for eclipse/microprofile-config.

Here's a screenshot of our current 'io' site.

Inline image 1

[]s,
Thiago.

Kevin Sutter

Jun 18, 2017, 4:40:36 PM6/18/17
to MicroProfile, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, rstj...@tomitribe.com, wayne....@eclipse.org
Thiago,
You screenshots are looking real good!  Thanks!  Question -- is this staged somewhere?  The official microprofile.io site doesn't seem to have all of these updates yet.  Some of them seem to be there, but not all of them.

I also don't see microprofile-bom yet...  Can you add that one to your list of component repos?  And, then I'm assuming I'll need a yaml file to make this information look good.

Thanks again for your help,
Kevin

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 19, 2017, 10:34:26 AM6/19/17
to Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, David Blevins, John Clingan, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
Hi Kevin,

>> The official microprofile.io site doesn't seem to have all of these updates yet.

It can be your browser using the local cache, or cloudflare. I will try something to help the browser to decide when to download the js and css files again.

>> Can you add that one to your list of component repos?

>> And, then I'm assuming I'll need a yaml file to make this information look good.
Nope. Only if you want to change the name of the project or add a list of related documents.

Inline image 1

[]s,
Thiago

Kevin Sutter

Jun 19, 2017, 11:31:25 AM6/19/17
to MicroProfile, kwsu...@gmail.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, rstj...@tomitribe.com, wayne....@eclipse.org
Sorry, Thiago, it was my mistake.  I thought we had decided that the vote on the main page was going to be removed as well...  When I saw that the vote was still there, I figured you were staging the repo somewhere else...  All of the other changes were immediately available to me.  So, no magic is required on your part to check the cache.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Kevin Sutter

Jun 19, 2017, 11:56:27 AM6/19/17
to MicroProfile, kwsu...@gmail.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, rstj...@tomitribe.com, wayne....@eclipse.org
Thiago,
There seems to be a bit of Latin on the project page, or at least I think it's Latin...  :-)

In consectetur tellus ut nulla aliquam, efficitur mattis enim sodales. Fusce hendrerit urna vel felis condimentum suscipit. Morbi pulvinar diam eget arcu fringilla, ut maximus ligula maximus

Thiago Veronezi

Jun 19, 2017, 12:01:31 PM6/19/17
to Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, David Blevins, John Clingan, Ryan St. James, Wayne Beaton
Ah, yes. Placeholder. I will remove this until we have something.
Thanks Kevin!