Preferred CDI version for new specifications

Rudy De Busscher

Nov 16, 2018, 6:18:43 AM11/16/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I have a question about the preferred version of CDI for new specs.

Since there was only a MicroProfile 2.1 release with OpenTracing 1.2 (and no MP 1.5) the CDI version should be 2.0 for new specifications I guess as we have stopped releases in the 1.x branch (Maybe I missed that message in the mailing list).

MP reactive streams has defined the CDI 2.0 as a dependency. should other new specifications do this as well? Or is there a freedom to choose?

Grtz
Rudy

Ken Finnigan

Nov 16, 2018, 8:37:25 AM11/16/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Rudy

For now we did agree, I think in an MP Hangout, that there wouldn't be additional MP umbrella spec releases for 1.x unless the community spoke up wanting one.

For any specification that will be part of MP 2.x, there is a presumed base of CDI 2.0. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that a specification must use CDI 2.0 in defining it's APIs, etc. It's still possible to use CDI 1.2 within a specification if they choose, but being part of an MP 2.x umbrella release means that they will be executing in a CDI 2.0 environment.

Ken

Rudy De Busscher

Nov 21, 2018, 10:55:23 AM11/21/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile