MicroProfile Presentation Slide Deck

John Clingan

Jul 8, 2016, 1:24:30 PM7/8/16
to MicroProfile
I've started a "canonical MicroProfile slide deck" for others to use as a baseline. It's more "wordy" versus "pictury" than I'd like, but hey, it's a first cut :-)

Comments and content encouraged.  I've turned off google doc comments for now since they can become fairly unwieldy in a large crowd, so feel free to comment in this thread.  No speaker notes yet, either, but I'll add them unless ya'll beat me to it (hint, hint).

Antonio Goncalves

Jul 9, 2016, 4:57:43 AM7/9/16
to John Clingan, MicroProfile
Very useful, I might use it as an intro in my next talks.

Slide 6 : Which standards? JSRs? HTTP/2, OAuth?  I'll add JWT

Antonio

Antonio Goncalves
Software architect, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Web site | TwitterLinkedIn | Pluralsight | Paris JUG | Devoxx France

John Clingan

John Clingan

Werner Keil

Jul 10, 2016, 6:22:33 AM7/10/16
to MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com
You should get Oauth support via JSR 375 ;-)
Again OAuth is such a mess and inconsistent, that not a lot of people can really handle it anyway. Similar to Caching I would leave something like that to "cross-cuts" not pollute a base image or profile with all that.

HTTP2 we should wait what Java EE 8 brings, but quite likely you'll only get it if you also include Servlet 4.

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 5:07:47 PM UTC+2, John Clingan wrote:
Yeah, HTTP/2, Oauth 2 were listed in the survey and items we talked about.

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 1:57:43 AM UTC-7, Antonio Goncalves wrote:
Very useful, I might use it as an intro in my next talks.

Slide 6 : Which standards? JSRs? HTTP/2, OAuth?  I'll add JWT

Antonio
On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 7:24 PM, John Clingan <jcli...@redhat.com> wrote:
I've started a "canonical MicroProfile slide deck" for others to use as a baseline. It's more "wordy" versus "pictury" than I'd like, but hey, it's a first cut :-)

Comments and content encouraged.  I've turned off google doc comments for now since they can become fairly unwieldy in a large crowd, so feel free to comment in this thread.  No speaker notes yet, either, but I'll add them unless ya'll beat me to it (hint, hint).

Werner Keil

Jul 10, 2016, 6:40:36 AM7/10/16

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 12:22:33 PM UTC+2, Werner Keil wrote:
You should get Oauth support via JSR 375 ;-)
Again OAuth is such a mess and inconsistent, that not a lot of people can really handle it anyway. Similar to Caching I would leave something like that to "cross-cuts" not pollute a base image or profile with all that.

HTTP2 we should wait what Java EE 8 brings, but quite likely you'll only get it if you also include Servlet 4.

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 5:07:47 PM UTC+2, John Clingan wrote:
Yeah, HTTP/2, Oauth 2 were listed in the survey and items we talked about.

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 1:57:43 AM UTC-7, Antonio Goncalves wrote:
Very useful, I might use it as an intro in my next talks.

Slide 6 : Which standards? JSRs? HTTP/2, OAuth?  I'll add JWT

Antonio

JWT is just another JSON standard (with a company "OAuth0" trying to capitalize via a .io domain offering T-Shirts and other swag;-) The Java code is nothing more than using existing Java (SE) based standards and APIs: https://github.com/auth0/java-jwt Not really worth mentioning. Unless you also start adding OpenID (which one;-D) or Open Social?
Or why not W3C standards like DDR?;-)

Right now it looks like only a single vendor jumped into it. There are other .NET implementations, but no sign, e.g. Microsoft and others are using it. Sounds a bit premature to list it now.

Martijn Verburg

Jul 11, 2016, 10:19:44 AM7/11/16
to John Clingan, MicroProfile
Hi John,

Great stuff!  This is going to be very useful and I can present it tomorrow night to ~130 LJC folks.  Here's my nitpicking:

Overall:  Usually its <= 5 bullet points (total) per slide to avoid death by bullets....  Perhaps split out the slides somewhat?

Slide 1:  Maybe just remove Optimizing?

Slide 2:  2nd major bullet point  - "...increasing time gap..."
               2nd minor bullet point - I'd bold the by design as opposed to italics and underline
               3rd minor bullet point - This doesn't quite flow right with the 2 sub bullets below?

Slide 6:  3rd major bullet point  - formatting of the 2nd line?

Slide 10: Split out the bullet points a bit and also offer a bit.ly link so audience can write / type it down

Cheers,
Martijn

John Clingan

Jul 12, 2016, 5:21:35 AM7/12/16
to Martijn Verburg, MicroProfile
On Jul 11, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,

Great stuff!  This is going to be very useful and I can present it tomorrow night to ~130 LJC folks.  Here's my nitpicking:

So you build me up and then you tear me down! ;-)

Overall:  Usually its <= 5 bullet points (total) per slide to avoid death by bullets....  Perhaps split out the slides somewhat?

Agree 100%  Phase one was to get the messaging on paper to get feedback. Phase 2 is to make it look pretty (pictures, diagrams, icons, logos, and the like).

Slide 1:  Maybe just remove Optimizing?

Slide 2:  2nd major bullet point  - "...increasing time gap..."
               2nd minor bullet point - I'd bold the by design as opposed to italics and underline
               3rd minor bullet point - This doesn't quite flow right with the 2 sub bullets below?

Slide 6:  3rd major bullet point  - formatting of the 2nd line?

Slide 10: Split out the bullet points a bit and also offer a bit.ly link so audience can write / type it down

I’ll look at the rest. Thanks for the feedback.

Kuba Marchwicki

Jul 13, 2016, 4:03:55 PM7/13/16
to MicroProfile
Gents (I see mostly men - no intent to offend anybody)
Has anybody taken an effort of actually presenting the microprofile to the wider audience? I've seen LJC discussion mentioned, but apart from that?
With lot of anxiety within JavaEE community (and announcing announcements to be made) - work within this group is very promising.

Maybe it's worth presenting to a wider audience? In Poland JDD is having CfP until mid July (http://16.jdd.org.pl/cfp/form/). Conference is 10th October.
I'll be keen on having a talk with covers JavaEE beyond a standard evangelism

Kuba

Ondrej Mihályi

Jul 18, 2016, 2:24:31 PM7/18/16
to MicroProfile
Hello, Kuba,

Payara, as one of the vendors behind, would be happy to talk at JDD about MicroProfille.
I've submitted a talk with my colleague Mike Croft today.

Ondrej Mihályi
Payara Service Engineer

Dňa streda, 13. júla 2016 21:03:55 UTC+1 Kuba Marchwicki napísal(-a):

John Clingan

Aug 3, 2016, 1:35:49 AM8/3/16
to MicroProfile
Slide deck updated. Mostly cosmetic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-)

Martijn Verburg

Aug 3, 2016, 4:00:45 AM8/3/16
to John Clingan, MicroProfile
Much, much improved, great job!

Can we get a resources section added to the website and perhaps make this document available (and shortly the code of conduct as well)?

Cheers,
Martijn

Werner Keil

Aug 4, 2016, 10:45:34 AM8/4/16
to MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com
What about pointing to the Github orga and artifacts?

The only link at the moment is to this list...

Cheers,
Werner

Andy Gumbrecht

Oct 10, 2016, 3:10:16 PM10/10/16
to MicroProfile

John Clingan

Oct 15, 2016, 4:52:24 PM10/15/16
to MicroProfile
Thanks Andy!

I'm listening to the prezo now :-) BTW, I just added a slide on the Eclipse Foundation.