AI discussion

Emily Jiang

Jan 24, 2024, 6:04:26 AMJan 24
to MicroProfile
In yesterday's MicroProfile Live Hangout (minutes here), Reza brought up the idea of embracing OpenAI libraries in MicroProfile and the idea was welcomed and discussed briefly. At the call, we decided to have some offline discussion on this mailinglist to accommodate the ones who could not make the calls and then further discuss at next week's technical call.

As you may know, recently, Spring has provided Spring AI to create AI applications (see code here) and it seems that a lot of attention was drawn. The other project langchain4j is also very popular, which is to simplify the integration of AI/LLM capabilities. Spring has also provided an example of working with Langchain4j.

I have a few ideas:
1. Provide MicroProfile AI programming model to develop AI applications
2. Provide some APIs if needed to connect with LLMs, which might use Langchain4j
3. Integrate with some other popular OpenAI libraries

Any thoughts?
--
Thanks
Emily

Reza Rahman

Jan 24, 2024, 7:40:01 AMJan 24
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Emily! Depending on what the direction and interest level is, Microsoft could potentially invest some engineering resources into this. I’ll be observing carefully for now.

Jan 24, 2024, 9:13:26 AMJan 24
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Reza Rahman, Zoran Sevarac, Frank Greco
Hello Emily,

I think this is a great area for MicroProfile to jump into.

I should point out that it's worthwhile to look at the existing Quarkus extension for this.

Also, it would be smart to loop in Frank Greco and Zoran Severac (spec leads for JSR 381: Visual Recognition (VisRec) Specification). I've had some chats with them about LangChain4J and they have some good insight. I have cc'd them here in case they want to chime in.

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Martijn Verburg

Jan 24, 2024, 2:26:05 PMJan 24
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Reza Rahman, Zoran Sevarac, Frank Greco
Microsoft's Java SDK for Semantic Kernel is another framework (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/semantic-kernel/introducing-semantic-kernel-for-java/) - I suspect it will go GA within the sort of timeframes that Microprofile is looking at.

This space is obviously *very* fast moving and challenging to pin down, Reza will be able to assist with whatever insights Microsoft can share going forwards :-).

Cheers,
Martijn

Emmanuel Bernard

Jan 25, 2024, 4:02:15 AMJan 25
to microp...@googlegroups.com
During your conversations did you touch on why openAI specifically? Why choose a specific vendor as target?

Mark Little

Jan 25, 2024, 5:11:52 AMJan 25
to 'Emily Jiang' via MicroProfile
+1

---
Mark Little
mli...@redhat.com

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873

Emily Jiang

Jan 26, 2024, 5:45:18 AMJan 26
to MicroProfile
Hi Emmanuel,

On Thursday, January 25, 2024 at 9:02:15 AM UTC Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
During your conversations did you touch on why openAI specifically? Why choose a specific vendor as target?

Nope. Reza and co. might be able to elaborate a bit more here. I just listed the discussion topics for further offline discussion. You were quite right to point it out the vendor choices. Personally, we should define a programming model in a vendor neutral way so that the impl can pull in any AI vendors they want. I think investigating on Langchain4j,  Hugging Face, etc is a worthwhile exercise. We will spend a bit more time to brainstorm in the next Tuesday's MP technical call. Please join if you can.

Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Jan 26, 2024, 5:54:38 AMJan 26
to MicroProfile
Thank you for sharing Kito! I did not know about JSR 381's interest in LangChain4. I will talk to Zoran and Frank to find a bit more.
Martijn, thanks for sharing the Java SDK project here. Sounds like it only works on Microsoft's Java SDK, which might not be better fit for this. If the effort is made to OpenJDK, it would be awesome.

Thank you all for sharing the info! I have learned quite a bit already.
Emily

Reza Rahman

Jan 26, 2024, 8:46:31 AMJan 26
to microp...@googlegroups.com
No specific reason. OpenAI is the one we are obviously most familiar with and what would be easiest to find resources for. Other approaches are of course also fine but we may not be able to assist directly.

Feb 6, 2024, 4:07:55 PMFeb 6
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

As discussed in the Community Call today, as part of the Yearly Program
Plan, we agreed to set up measurable metrics for marketing. To that end,
we need to collectively decide on one/two metrics. The idea is to put
these on a live dashboard. The dashboard could be public or Working
Group private. The dashboard will be driven by a database that is
automatically updated on a periodic basis. I will set all this up. Note,
the metrics we decide for marketing could also serve as the metrics
overall for MicroProfile.

Here are the candidates discussed so far. Please feel free to suggest
others.

* Adoption according to credible industry surveys that measure
MicroProfile (such as the annual Jakarta EE survey:
https://newsroom.eclipse.org/news/announcements/eclipse-foundation-releases-2023-jakarta-ee-developer-survey-report).
* Google Trends:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2016-09-01%202024-01-31&q=MicroProfile
* Job postings: https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=MicroProfile
* MicroProfile web site visits
* Social media following
* MicroProfile Starter usage

Can you kindly chime in? I would like to close on one/two metrics in no
more than two/three weeks.

Thanks,

Reza

Reza Rahman

Feb 8, 2024, 2:09:33 PMFeb 8
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
In the spirit of getting things started, I think it's sufficient to
simply begin tracking Google Trends for now. What do others think?

Kito Mann

Feb 23, 2024, 10:22:40 AMFeb 23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Reza Rahman, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
+1

We've got to start somewhere...

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Reza Rahman

Feb 23, 2024, 10:32:51 AMFeb 23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com

What others think? Unless I hear otherwise by next week I suggest Google Trends as a pretty good way forward.

Vincent Mayers

Feb 23, 2024, 10:35:58 AMFeb 23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
sure lets start there

Cheers
Vincent

@vincentmayers

Emily Jiang

Mar 4, 2024, 6:46:05 PMMar 4
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Microprofile WG discussions
Further to last week's technical hangout, I have created this doodle poll for you to add your name and availability if you are interested in further collaboration. We will then set up a few calls to brainstorm AI support.

Thanks,
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Mar 17, 2024, 7:01:13 PMMar 17
to MicroProfile
Based on the doodle poll, the best slot is Monday 18th March 4pm-4:30pm. I have schedule a call for us to get together.
Meeting ID: 838 1579 5087

You can find the full details from the MP Calendar here. Hope to see you there!
Thanks
Emily

Buhake Sindi

Mar 17, 2024, 9:48:52 PMMar 17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct platform. I've recently published a list of AI client libraries for various AI services:
They both feature:
  1. Java JDK 17+
  2. Jakarta JSON-B for JSON Binding
  3. Java's new HttpClient for API request/response.
It was just to make my libraries smaller, using existing frameworks. These can be found on my GitHub repository here: https://github.com/orgs/sinditech/repositories

I can understand LangChain4J is popular, and they integrate well with various AI LLMs out there (including some Chinese versions), so I don't mind at all looking at LangChain4J and incorporating something similar into MicroProfile. I'm all for it.

Thanks,

Kind Regard,

Buhake Sindi

M P

Mar 18, 2024, 11:22:21 AMMar 18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Do you know total amount of project buget was spent to date?

Emily Jiang

Mar 18, 2024, 11:54:21 AMMar 18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Buhake for sharing! Let's have an initial conversation in 7 mins to look at the scope etc.
Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Mar 19, 2024, 10:34:25 AMMar 19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to the ones who attended the AI call yesterday! The call was recorded and the video will be uploaded in due course. You can also catch up the discussion via the minutes here. We will meet up at the same time next week. Hope to see many of you next week.

Thanks
Emily
--
Thanks
Emily

John Clingan

Mar 19, 2024, 11:30:34 AMMar 19
to MicroProfile
I had a meeting conflict but will work with Ryan to get the meeting recording posted.

Emily Jiang

Mar 19, 2024, 11:42:14 AMMar 19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John!

--
Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Mar 25, 2024, 5:27:17 AMMar 25
to MicroProfile
AI meeting will be on today. Hope to see more of you there. You can find the meeting details from our MP calendar.
Message has been deleted

ant...@sabot-durand.net

Mar 25, 2024, 12:51:06 PMMar 25
to MicroProfile
Today's AI meeting was canceled : we were only 2.
But during last week Ricken (my colleague that contributed Mistral LLM integration in Spring AI[1]) and I, started a small doc to gather information for the spec and describe what the could cover first version of the spec (roughly abstraction on LLM consuming and tooling to build a RAG)

Of course, it's only suggestion and a starting point for spec discussion.

Antoine

Emily Jiang

Mar 25, 2024, 7:28:25 PMMar 25
to MicroProfile
Thank you Antoine for the update! I was double booked. Monday next week is Easter Monday. Shall we cancel the next meeting and resume on 8th April? In the meanwhile, we can collaborate offline.
Thanks
Emily

Antoine Sabot-Durand

Mar 26, 2024, 12:15:15 AMMar 26
to microp...@googlegroups.com
+1 to cancel Easter / April’s fool meeting ;-). Let’s meet on April 8th

Antoine

Emily Jiang

Mar 26, 2024, 10:25:51 AMMar 26
to MicroProfile
Thank you Antoine! The AI meeting on April Fools day was cancelled :). The next meeting will be on 8th April. See you then.
Thanks
Emily

Buhake Sindi

Mar 26, 2024, 3:11:55 PMMar 26
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I have a roughly drafted proposal (without the fancy letterheads) of what we can look at as we create an AI specification for Microprofile.
I've attached the doc. I'm looking forward for feedback.

Thanks,

Kind Regard,

Buhake Sindi
Proposal for AI framework under MicroProfile - 2024-03-25.docx

M P

Apr 3, 2024, 4:12:29 PMApr 3
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I need the ID and Password for the Marketing group. Tried to log on with link and it asked for a pass word.

Thanks

Marcia Peterson

Emily Jiang

Apr 3, 2024, 5:04:06 PMApr 3
to microp...@googlegroups.com
The meeting can only be joined at the scheduled time. During that time, no password is required.
Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Emily Jiang

Apr 8, 2024, 4:51:59 AMApr 8
to MicroProfile
Thank you Antoine, Buhake for sharing your thoughts via the doc! In order to consolidate the efforts, I have created a sandbox AI projects for you add your proposal to the project and we can reiterate it. By the way, Open Liberty has added a langchain4j example to demonstrate how to use MicroProfile and Jakarta EE to create AI apps here.

I will be traveling to DevNexus today so I won't be able to join the call. Please go ahead to have the call. I have asked John to join if he is available. If possible, please have the call recorded.
Thanks,
Emily

Jean-Francois James

Apr 12, 2024, 10:48:23 AMApr 12
to MicroProfile
Hi Emily,

FYI, I have adapted the Open Liberty langchain4j example to Helidon.

Thanks to JakartaEE/MicroProfile portability, no change in the main code!

Best regards.

Emily Jiang

Apr 13, 2024, 3:31:31 PMApr 13
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks Jean-Francois! Hope to see many of you on Monday's AI call.
Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Jean-Francois James

Apr 15, 2024, 10:02:09 AMApr 15
to MicroProfile
Hi Emily (and others),

I've also published a  "car booking" example based on Quarkus-langchain4j : https://github.com/jefrajames/car-booking

I've presented it at JChateau last month.

Regards.

Kito Mann

Emily Jiang

Apr 15, 2024, 5:06:47 PMApr 15
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Jean-Francois James
Hi Kito,
Sounds good. Please go ahead to create a list. For MP, do you suggest using the wiki or creating a blog entry.
Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Kito Mann

Apr 16, 2024, 1:23:04 PMApr 16
to 'Emily Jiang' via MicroProfile, Jean-Francois James
Hey Emily,

The wiki seems like the best choice out of the two. Are there any other options?

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

M P

Apr 28, 2024, 5:34:14 PMApr 28
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,
Would it be possible for Marketing to use Jasper AI which is a Blogger Template that helps generate tweets for those that want to post. Its fast and easy to use.

Marcia Peterson

M P

Kito Mann

Apr 30, 2024, 12:22:13 PMApr 30
to microp...@googlegroups.com, M P, Emily Jiang
Hey Emily,

I'm happy to add this to the wiki, but I don't have the rights to do so... I'm an EF member but not officially part of any MP projects.

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | @kit...@mastodon.social LinkedIn
Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech
+1 203-998-0403

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Emily Jiang

May 1, 2024, 1:07:34 PMMay 1
to MicroProfile
Hi Kito,
I forgot that you need to be a committer for create a wiki page. My apologies. How about your start a googledoc and place here. Once there is doc, I will create a wiki link and point to your googledoc?
Thanks
Emily

Reza Rahman

May 3, 2024, 1:56:11 PMMay 3
to MPCommunity, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

As we discussed in the past, it is now time to collaborate with the
Jakarta EE working group on the newly minted Cloud Native Java Technical
survey. Here is the current draft:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l3Yscex_5cANg4Uyjj4dFGLXWPBoPfksWkPV_5IOUZU/edit?usp=sharing.

Please take a look and either comment directly on the document or here.
Emily and I will ensure your input gets due consideration. Please do
this in the next two weeks.

Thanks,
Reza

Reza Rahman

May 13, 2024, 1:20:35 PMMay 13
to MPCommunity, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Gentle reminder. I'll consider feedback closed by next week.