Feedback on the MP Reactive Streams Operators API

Ondro Mihályi

Sep 13, 2018, 3:43:25 AM9/13/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi all,

A milestone version of  Reactive Streams Operators API was released a while ago: https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-reactive-streams/releases/tag/1.0-M1

The API is considered complete by the MicroProfile committers but we would like to gather some feedback on the API before we release the 1.0 version. I would like to encourage all of you to try the API in more complex scenarios and give feedback. I hope that users and fans of MicroProfile, as well as committers working on other MP specs that could use the API (e.g. REST client, Fault Tolerance, Concurrency) will evaluate the API and let us know.

This is a chance to influence MicroProfile API and help us make it better for you and for all the community.

This is a significant core API that can affect how successful MicroProfile is in covering reactive programming needs and without your feedback it's not easy to go forward, finalize the 1.0 version and include it in MicroProfile soon. If we receive feedback until end of next week, we might be able to include the API in MicroProfile 2.1. In case of no feedback, it's very probable that the API will be released later and available in MicroProfile 2.2.

Inclusion of this spec into MicroProfile was already discussed in https://groups.google.com/d/topic/microprofile/HS5upySEQCQ/discussion and in https://groups.google.com/d/topic/microprofile/oH6sYZPPMAg/discussion, but we haven't come to a clear resolution. Any feedback on the quality and usefulness of the API would help is with the decision to release 1.0 version and include it in MicroProfile.

--Ondro