MicroProfile Working Group Charter, v1.0 Delivered!

Kevin Sutter

Sep 1, 2020, 5:52:05 PM9/1/20
to MicroProfile
Hello Fellow MicroProfilers!

At today's Hangout, we resolved all of the remaining comments and finalized the MicroProfile Working Group Charter!  Congratulations and Thank You to the whole community.  It's been a long haul, but we finally delivered a Charter that we all participated in creating, reviewing, discussing, and finalizing.  Thanks!

Here is a read-only link to the Charter that I just submitted to EF (only John and I can comment or edit at this point):

The following items are taken from discussions with EF and the WG process itself:  https://www.eclipse.org/org/workinggroups/process.php

Once the Charter is accepted, the EF will make the Charter public and accessible on the EF website.  They will also send out an email to the membership-at-large indicating our intent to create this WG, ask for comments on the Charter, and ask for interest from existing EF members to join and participate.  There are other process-related items that will need to be performed, including the drafting of a Participation Agreement for the prospective members.  These activities are part of the Proposal Phase and will run a minimum of 14 days.

Once we make it past the Proposal Phase, then we have the Incubation Phase to conquer.  The main item during this phase is the acceptance of the EFSP (which we already indicated in the Charter), making the Committee(s) operational, and finalizing a budget.

After this point, we move onto the Operational Phase and this is when we can actually start releasing MicroProfile Specifications again!  If all goes well, I think Oct 1 looks doable.  Cross your fingers!

Thanks again!
Kevin Sutter and John Clingan
co-Project Leads for MicroProfile

Amelia Eiras

Sep 1, 2020, 6:30:48 PM9/1/20
to MicroProfile Community
Thank you Kevin for sending such a wonderful write-up!

+ 8 months and we have accomplished a StandAlone Charter for MicroProfile that is true to its last 4years! :)

Members: Thus far, this community has secured the minimum of 5 ORG Members: Atlanta JUG, Jelastic, IBM, RedHat & Tomitribe-- AND a few other ORGs that are still working on doing their best to join the MPWG by October 1st.
MP while navigating the Working Group compliance has braided of a truly formidable union of ORGs that will continue to keep MP low-bar entry, fun, leveled & community owned & value oriented.

Fees: There are no longer issues with joining the MPWG because of ORGs' budget restrictions.  We have secured closing 2020 MPWG fees on December 31st, 2020, which enables our partners to free some budget NOW> : )
The fiscal year for MPWG starts on January 1st and closes on Dec 31st.

smiling--  It has been a deeply exhausting & expensive 8 + months for those actively involved in the process.
I am beyond happy that today, after the MP Community recorded zoom call, we can once again- hopefully- last time--  push the MP Charter to the EF EMO for formal approval. The ball has landed at the EMO court.

Approval of the MicroProfile StandAlone Working Charter leads to MP 4.0 Release in October, palpable.  We have worked hard/smart to achieve today, all of us Contributors: users, coders, bloggers, speakers, designers, researchers... You matter, we matter, us matter!

Amelia Eiras

Sep 15, 2020, 12:12:43 PM9/15/20
to MicroProfile
Hola MicroProfilers,

The MP Charter v.1 is no public on final review: https://www.eclipse.org/org/workinggroups/microprofile-charter.php

If you have at hand your MicroProfile t-shirt or hoodie and you are able to attend today's MP Community hangout, please gear up for that pic! :)

See many of you in ~2hrs!

Amelia Eiras

Oct 6, 2020, 5:07:33 PM10/6/20
to MicroProfile
Update we forgot to send last week:

EMO informed us during the MP sept 29th call that the MPWG Charter had passed its pubic review and now it is waiting for the first MPWG steering committee call on Oct 20th to be voted final :)