Polyglot

chaim turkel

Nov 14, 2019, 3:47:05 AM11/14/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,
  I think the microprofile project is great.
  Though I would split the components into two:
     One is for the developer: Rest Client, CDI, JSON
The second area is for deployment & monitoring: Tracing, API, Config, Metrtics, JWT, Health

The second area is not just java, and I think we need some type of spec that is cross-language so that microservices from different languages can use the same concepts.

what do you think?

Chaim

Kevin Sutter

Nov 14, 2019, 10:32:26 AM11/14/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Chaim,
Our project is focused on the Java language and runtimes.  We want to participate in a polyglot environment, but defining the Specs that allow this cross-language interaction is not our goal.  But, ...

I will point out that several of our Specs are based off language-agnostic specifications and efforts.  MicroProfile OpenTracing is based off the work developed by https://opentracing.io/.  Our work at MicroProfile is promoting the Java aspects of OpenTracing.  Similar thing for MicroProfile OpenAPI, which is based off the work done by https://swagger.io/.  MicroProfile JWT is using the technology defined by https://jwt.io/.  MicroProfile Health is Java codifying the needs for https://kubernetes.io/-like orchestration.  The MicroProfile Metrics and Config efforts are also following industry and language-independent practices in providing their necessary functionality.  Specifically, with Metrics and Tracing, we're closely following the efforts defined by https://opentelemetry.io/ and are looking to incorporate this into future revs of our Specifications.

So, I do agree that this type of cross-language definition is needed to allow for polyglot microservices to interact successfully.  But, I don't think it's MicroProfile's responsibility.  We will participate in and utilize these external efforts, but we'll continue to focus on Java.

-- Kevin