INFRA question: is there a preferred communication tool used by Eclipse projects?

Amelia Eiras

Jun 5, 2017, 1:08:06 PM6/5/17
to MicroProfile, Wayne Beaton

Happy Monday Wayne,

Quoting a wonderful contributor:
 "need a channel to discuss matters quickly, something that can be used for simple yes/no questions to get info."

This Google group & many of its threads are great yet not as optimal for quick exchanges.

Do you have any feedback on how BEST to communicate without losing the transparency on progress?

In advance, thank you!

 PS: Public Slack is used by many OSS projects... yet if not paid, history is lost at 10,000.

Wayne Beaton

Jun 5, 2017, 2:34:59 PM6/5/17
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile
Transparency is a little different from maintaining a complete history. But I think that I get your meaning.

Best is a pretty subjective; it really depends on the nature of the community and communciation. I do know that some projects use an instance of Mattermost [1] that's hosted on Eclipse infrastructure and many projects still use IRC.

Note that the Mattermost instance is not a service that's maintained by the Eclipse Foundation IT staff. It is community-run. It doesn't, for example, authenticate against the Eclipse Foundation's LDAP server.

I can't think of a better answer at the moment.

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects

Amelia Eiras

Jun 5, 2017, 2:49:27 PM6/5/17
to Wayne Beaton, MicroProfile
Wayne,

Your prompt response will lead us to find a viable solution!

Mike Croft

Jun 6, 2017, 5:01:00 AM6/6/17
to MicroProfile, wayne....@eclipse-foundation.org
Similar to Mattermost - Gitter is very open. It's mostly tied to Git repositories, which we already use. A single button can link to the group and anyone can see what's going on with no invites.

E.g. here's a link to the Gitter room about Gitter itself: https://gitter.im/gitterHQ/gitter

We could set up gitter.im/eclipse/microprofile very easily, though that would be an "Eclipse" community with a "microprofile" room. We might want to start gitter.im/microprofile and have rooms of, e.g. general, config, jwt, etc.

Kevin Sutter

Jun 7, 2017, 4:37:31 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile
Is the history requirement all that critical, Amelia?  If this is meant as just quick Q&A type of interaction, then is keeping a history a requirement?  Just curious since although I appreciate the pointers to the other tools, they are just that -- another tool.  Not sure about everybody else, but I'm already blasted by multiple email accounts, multiple forum accounts, multiple Slack channels, multiple IRC channels, multiple hangouts,...  Adding yet another communication tool just adds to my overhead and something's going to break...

I'd prefer to use an existing channel such as Slack -- if this type of immediate communication is required.

Thanks, Kevin

John Clingan

Jun 7, 2017, 4:58:04 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile
IMHO, probably. I can easily see such a tool replacing the google groups for a lot of our conversations, unless we are able to instill a culture of "now that we chatted, let's bring it up in the group".

Kevin Sutter

Jun 7, 2017, 5:33:41 PM6/7/17
to John Clingan, MicroProfile
I don't see this as a replacement for our forums/google groups...  imho...  I guess it comes down to the reasons or requirements for this type of "immediate communication".

--  Kevin

Mike Croft

Jun 7, 2017, 5:53:15 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com
I've thought this kind of chat would be useful in the past for things like "hey, should I start a proposal in the evolution process for upgrading the existing specs *now* or leave it till they're actually formally released?" or maybe after that call we had where we had to finish but were right in the middle of a productive discussion - a mailing list would slow that down and wouldn't really help the conversation develop. A chat application would be a good place for that sort of thing.

I do think the mailing list should be the main communication focus, though, it's worked well so far.

Emily Jiang

Sep 17, 2017, 5:39:11 PM9/17/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
In light of good feedback from gitter usage from MicroProfile Metrics, I have created two more gitter rooms: microporfile-config and microprofile-fault-tolerance.

I suggest the usage is mainly for live chat, asking for reviews, run past some initial ideas. As a consequence of the conversation, some ideas might be discarded, some might result into an issue, PR or google group discussions. I do agree gitter should not be the replacement of the mailiinglist discussion.

Emily