MicroProfile application executed on a standard Java EE Application Server.

Fabrizio A. Tarricone

Jul 7, 2018, 2:54:30 AM7/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
For my Customer, I would like to develop an application using MicroProfile, but he wants to run it on a Java EE Application Server.

Is there any way to do it?

Thanks a lot!
Fabrizio

m.reza.rahman

Jul 7, 2018, 9:51:06 AM7/7/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I agree this is very important to have, especially while following the Strangler pattern to gradually move from a monolith to microservices. I think it's really WildFly AS that needs to catch up in this regard. This is leaving aside Java EE implementations like WebLogic and WebSphere ND of course. Also not sure what general status TomEE has with ragards to Java EE and MicroProfile compatibility...

What implementation were you considering? Why not go with Payara, Open Liberty or WebSphere Liberty for now?

Fabrizio A. Tarricone

Jul 7, 2018, 10:39:35 AM7/7/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I'm considering Wildfly Swarm and Payara.

I did some tests with Wildfly Swarm and Open Liberty. Open Liberty seems too heavy and slow.

I've the necessity to deploy the solution on JBoss EAP, WebSphere and WebLogic.

Mark Little

Jul 7, 2018, 10:44:45 AM7/7/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
There’s a WildFly Swarm mailing list if you need any help so feel free to sign up there.

Unlikely we’ll put all of MP into EAP but WildFly Swarm builds on WildFly so you can get your superset of APIs through that route.

Mark.

m.reza.rahman

Jul 7, 2018, 11:02:35 AM7/7/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I really can't speak as to the others, but WebLogic is a strange beast. Your best route to influence anything there is talking to WebLogic sales, particularly if you work on behalf of a larger global company.

Fabrizio A. Tarricone

Jul 8, 2018, 7:32:08 AM7/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ok but I'm looking for a portable solution because our Customers use different Application Servers.

I think that the unique solution is very hard: I've to develop my implementation of MP specs.

Message has been deleted

Fabrizio A. Tarricone

Jul 8, 2018, 7:52:33 AM7/8/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Obviously I'm talking of MP specs not covered by java ee spec.

m.reza.rahman

Jul 8, 2018, 12:33:01 PM7/8/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I think in your case, depending too much on the runtime is unwise in terms of a business model. I would look to embedding as many dependencies with your application as possible.

Historically, this is a scenario where I have wholeheartedly recommended Spring. Maybe that will change with Jakarta EE, but I honestly don't think this is reality right now.

Hope that helps.

Jul 9, 2018, 3:41:42 AM7/9/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Fabrizio,

Any reason why you want to implement the MP Specifications yourself? You have already 2 implementations of all the specs (Within Apache Geronimo and SmallRye) which should be independent of a vendor and thus can be used on any server, also Java EE servers.

best regards
Rudy

Emily Jiang

Jul 9, 2018, 5:05:48 AM7/9/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Rudy,

I don't think Fabrizio wants to implement the MP Specs but to use them together with Java EE instead.

Fabriozio,

It is perfectly fine to use MP specs together with Java EE. Open Liberty and WebSphere Liberty have the full support, same as Payara servers. We are striving to make Liberty fast and nimble. From our performance figure, it shows Open Liberty is very competitive among application servers. When you say it is slow, can you share your sample app or any info so that we can figure out what is misbehaving?
Please open an issue on Open Liberty to discuss further.

Thanks
Emily

Mark Struberg

Jul 11, 2018, 5:45:04 PM7/11/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I think Reza already gave the correct answer: if you have Java8 and a min JavaEE 6 server, then just drop in the various MicroProfile project implementations from over at Apache Geronimo, or JBoss SmallRye as dependencies into your app. And of course you also have to add the official mp API jars to your app. Also runs on WebLogic, old WebSphere servers, etc.

LieGrue,
strub

Fabio Gomes Rocha

Jul 11, 2018, 5:58:44 PM7/11/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Dear professional,

We are conducting a survey to identify how the microservice architecture and container technology are being used and / or integrated.
I would like to invite you to participate in this research by completing the following form:
https://goo.gl/forms/jWEbbt7ciq7FFT2t2

It is important to emphasize that the data obtained through this research will be kept confidential.
Your participation is very important for us to be successful in this study.
We count on your contribution!

Thankful!

Regards,
--
Prof. Me. Fabio Gomes Rocha
Doutorando em Educação - Unit

Prof. Me. Fabio Gomes Rocha
Doutorando em Educação - Unit
Scrum Master and Scrum Professional - Scrum alliance
Google Certified Educator
figshare ambassador
Líder do Grupo de Pesquisa Interdisciplinar em Tecnologia da Informação e Comunicação/GPITIC/Unit/CNPq
Membro do Grupo de Pesquisa História das Práticas Educacionais/GPHPE/UNIT/PPED/CNPq

Av. Murilo Dantas, 300 Farolândia. CEP 49032-490
Fone: 55-79-32182112  Fax: 55-79-3218-2200
"O preço da perfeição é a prática constante."
Andrew Carnegie