Should we retire the eclipse/microprofile documentation repository?

Mike Croft

Jun 27, 2017, 6:37:29 AM6/27/17
to MicroProfile
The first place to document things for the project is now the MicroProfile Wiki. Previously, the eclipse/microprofile repository was used as a place to introduce people to the project and answer some FAQs. Now that Thiago has updated the microprofile.io website, there is a better place for anything not covered by the Wiki to live. It also has the added advantage of being a little more dynamic.

I propose we:
      (a) ensure everything currently documented in the eclipse/microprofile repository is covered in either the Wiki or on the website.
      (b) retire the repository altogether.

Does anyone disagree?

Mark Little

Jun 27, 2017, 6:38:15 AM6/27/17
to Mike Croft, MicroProfile
+1

---
Mark Little

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Kevin Sutter

Jun 27, 2017, 6:30:08 PM6/27/17
to MicroProfile, backtoth...@gmail.com
Mike,
The only issue I see is that the name "eclipse/microproifle" looks to be the top-level github repo...  If somebody just searched on "microprofile" on the Eclipse github site, they would probably click on the generic "microprofile" repo:
https://github.com/eclipse?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=microprofile&type=&language=

Now, if this didn't exist, then they would have to pick one...  Maybe they would pick microprofile-bom, or just one at random.  But, regardless, we would no longer have a landing spot for the casual searcher...

I could agree with simplifying the content of the microprofile repo.  Maybe just use it as a top-level landing page and nothing more.  But, I don't think we should retire it altogether.  Unless there is another means of communicating this type of information for the casual observer...

Thanks,
Kevin

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 5:38:15 AM UTC-5, Mark Little wrote:
+1

On 27 Jun 2017, at 11:37, Mike Croft <backtoth...@gmail.com> wrote:

The first place to document things for the project is now the MicroProfile Wiki. Previously, the eclipse/microprofile repository was used as a place to introduce people to the project and answer some FAQs. Now that Thiago has updated the microprofile.io website, there is a better place for anything not covered by the Wiki to live. It also has the added advantage of being a little more dynamic.

I propose we:
      (a) ensure everything currently documented in the eclipse/microprofile repository is covered in either the Wiki or on the website.
      (b) retire the repository altogether.

Does anyone disagree?

Ondrej Mihályi

Jun 28, 2017, 3:09:21 AM6/28/17
to MicroProfile
+1 to Kevin

Instead of retiring, let's just purge it from unnecessary info and leave only basics in the readme. It should work as an index for other repositories and resources, e.g. links to micoprofile.io and the wiki page.

--Ondro

Mike Croft

Jul 31, 2017, 11:30:09 AM7/31/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I've created a new PR to add a "Getting Started" section to the eclipse/microprofile repository. The aim here is to be very user-friendly and focus on how to quickly get started with MicroProfile.

I've only added "essentials" at this stage, but some areas of expansion could be:

  • Creating a microprofile-examples repository and linking from there
  • Expanding the Maven section to be a proper tutorial and adding the same for Gradle
  • Adding details of how to get and use each implementation including:
    • How to download (either an artifact or just maven coordinates)
    • What versions of the implementation support MicroProfile (if not immediately obvious)
    • How to build and run
    • Any docker image support etc

This PR is mostly there as an example, but I don't think it needs *too* much polish to be merged. It's mostly there as a POC and to guage support for moving that repository in that direction. I would also remove some of the outdated info as I mentioned in the earlier comment.

Mike Croft

Jul 31, 2017, 11:31:02 AM7/31/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile