MicroProfile 1.4 Release Planning

John Clingan

Jan 17, 2018, 3:57:00 PM1/17/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I set up a meeting in the MicroProfile calendar for this Friday at 10:00am PST. Sorry for the short notice, but it's been busy and I have quite a bit of travel coming up that will otherwise delay the 1.4 kickoff. The meeting will be recorded and notes will be taken.

I created two documents as discussion topics:
  1. A sign-up sheet for tracking HOW-TO guides. We can make this more generic if we want to track all asset generation
  2. A "HOW-TO" guide template draft to discuss (google docs for now)
We can also discuss a draft schedule and opportunistic spec clarifications/updates for the release.

@sutter I just saw that you set up a zoom. If you want to do another dry run, I can use this meeting as the first "zoom" call.

Emily Jiang

Jan 17, 2018, 5:44:39 PM1/17/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
John,

I appreciate your setting up this call. I would like to attend but the timing is bad. Will you either move back or forward by an hour? By the way, our bi-weekly call will be on next Tuesday. Do you plan to have two calls within 3 working days?

Emily

John Clingan

Jan 17, 2018, 7:13:43 PM1/17/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Let's see what others th ink if the timing. I can do an hour later.

I won't be at the next live hangout.

John D. Ament

Kevin Sutter

Jan 18, 2018, 2:16:06 PM1/18/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
John Clingan, let's just use the e-meeting you already have in place for this discussion.

John Clingan

Jan 18, 2018, 2:20:22 PM1/18/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Sounds Good.

Emily Jiang

Jan 19, 2018, 5:56:38 AM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile

If we keep the posted time, I may not make to the meeting.

One item I would like to bring up in the call:

As a member of EclipseCon France programme committee, I am pleased to announce that a dedicated track on MicroProfile, EE4J was set up on EclipseCon France. I will manage that track and would like to pull the MP community together to put in a large number of submissions to demonstrate our programming model. Below are the track details.

MicroServices, MicroProfile, EE4J, & Java EE This track covers talks about developing cloud native microservices using the MicroProfile programming model, EE4J or Java EE technologies, and other programming models. This includes topics such as how to build a fault tolerance microservice, how to monitor and trace the service invocations, how to secure microservices, best practices, and more.

See more details on my other post.

By the way, this falls into our MP 1.4 scope what John C laid out: developer experience, guides, documentation, conferences.... Let's talk more to see how we can do an amazing job with the great opportunity laying ahead of us!

Thanks
Emily

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 7:20:22 PM UTC, John Clingan wrote:
Sounds Good.

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 9:58:33 AM UTC-6, John D. Ament wrote:
[...]

John Clingan

Jan 19, 2018, 12:39:15 PM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yes, I am going to keep this time. I've got quite a busy day. Regardless, we can chat async. I'll record the call and take some notes. Given the short notice I'm not sure how many will be able to show up.

Emily Jiang

Jan 19, 2018, 12:41:08 PM1/19/18
to MicroProfile
It is ok, John. Thanks for considering it! I will try to attend but will be late. I added the above conference item on the agenda.

Emily

Thanks
Emily
=================
Emily Jiang
eji...@apache.org

John Clingan

Jan 19, 2018, 12:44:25 PM1/19/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
yeah, sorry :-/ Regarding your writeup on the EclipseCon track, that’s probably better handled in the Live Hangout anyway. This meeting is specifically about the 1.4 release.

Emily Jiang

Jan 19, 2018, 12:47:02 PM1/19/18
to MicroProfile
MP 1.4 is developer focused. Conferences fit in that category though. Anyway, I am happy to discuss on Tuesday.

Emily

Thanks
Emily

John Clingan

Jan 19, 2018, 1:03:03 PM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
TO ALL: My bad - use the following meeting URL:

Heiko Rupp

Jan 19, 2018, 1:03:52 PM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
If the call is now, the dial in from the calendar is invalid

John Clingan

Jan 19, 2018, 1:05:10 PM1/19/18
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I just updated the calendar:

John Clingan

Jan 24, 2018, 8:32:43 PM1/24/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I have created a HOW-TO draft to get feedback on the approach. The details of the code and writing/grammatical errors aren't important.

John Clingan

Jan 25, 2018, 5:24:35 PM1/25/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Based on feedback, I've provided an alternative approach for the HOW-TO template, which can be compared to the original template. The primary difference in approach is "write the code" (original template) or "run the code and read what it does" (alternative approach).

Feedback welcome.

Ondro Mihályi

Jan 28, 2018, 4:42:04 PM1/28/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi John,

Great job, I really like the template! There are some points which I commented on in the document though. Especially, I didn't like any vendor-specific content in the guide. I think a general MP guide should only have content applicable to any MP implementation and all vendor-specific parts should be in a separate linked document/guide or only in the source repo's README.

The build&run section could be very simple and vendor-neutral if there's always a default vendor profile which builds an executable JAR. Then all it takes to build&run is to execute "mvn package && java -jar target/myapp.jar".

For those who want to choose a different implementation, instructions should be in a separate document as I wrote, or if that's too distant, then at the end of the guide. But I would be for keeping them outside of the document to focus on getting started and only provide a build profile for those who want to dig deeper and work with their favorite implementation.

Ondro

Ondro Mihályi

Jan 28, 2018, 4:46:55 PM1/28/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thinking about my comments, I suggest that the template also contains a section with best practices for the writing of other guides. Those would include all the helpful hints that would instruct writers what to do, how to do it and what to avoid. Among them would be things like keeping the content vendor-neutral and how to do it, formatting style, etc.

Ondro

Kevin Sutter

Feb 1, 2018, 4:11:03 AM2/1/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
To the wider community...  Are there any plans to increment the version and content of the MicroProfile components, such as Metrics 1.2 or JWT 1.1?  If we don't have any incremental content in a "1.4" release, then is this really a "1.4" release?  Or, are we just advocating for more guides and improving the developer experience?  That's fine if that's the focus of the 1Q work effort, but calling it "1.4" sounds strange...

I do know there are some plans for a couple of "third digit" releases to improve the TCKs (ie. Config 1.2.1 or OpenAPI 1.0.1), but I wouldn't classify those changes by themselves as being sufficient for a "1.4" release.

Thanks, Kevin

Emily Jiang

Feb 1, 2018, 5:29:38 PM2/1/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Good question, Kevin! I think it depends. Here are two options.

1. If we release the how-to guide as deliverables, codexxx.jar and doc as pdf to maven central. We might consider to release the howto repo and its umbrella MP 1.4.
2. If we can just treat this as doc and sample and make it equal as our conference app. We don't need to release it, then there will be no MP 1.4.

Option 2 might make more sense.

Emily

Heiko Rupp

Feb 2, 2018, 6:53:05 AM2/2/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I think Metrics may have some smaller usability improvements, that could make it into MP 1.4

Mike Croft

Feb 5, 2018, 8:30:37 AM2/5/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Arjan Tijms and I have been discussing the merits of having a samples repository similar to the well-known javaee-samples repository. I think this would work well in the repository that we already have: https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-samples

However, looking at John's document, it might be good to first discuss the structure of that repo. Would we want to treat each of these tutorials in the same way as a sample, or differently? As a suggestion, we could have samples which are just very simple completed examples as well as worked tutorials like John has produced in his document. A tutorial could start with a barebones project (maybe just pom.xml?) and have a finish which is the completed example. Here is the structure of what I'm trying to describe:

➜  microprofile-samples tree
.
├── config
│   ├── samples
│   │   ├── programmatic-injection
│   │   └── simple-injection
│   └── tutorials
│       └── how-to-inject-configuration
│           ├── start
│           ├── finish
│           └── INSTRUCTIONS.doc
├── fault-tolerance
│   ├── samples
│   │   ├── bulkhead
│   │   └── fallback
│   └── tutorials
│       └── circuit-breaker
│           ├── start
│           ├── finish
│           └── INSTRUCTIONS.doc
└── metrics
    └── samples
        └── metered-methods

19 directories, 2 files

so here, each spec has a directory of samples and a directory of tutorials. Is it a good idea to keep all these in the same repository? It may be better to split them up, but I like the fact that the javaee-samples repository keeps everything together. I'm not sure how useful the distinction between tutorials and samples might be though.

carlos andres de la rosa

Feb 5, 2018, 12:41:49 PM2/5/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hello guys,

reading the thread discussion i wanna suggest something else, in order to get a standard way to use the examples and any developer can download something like a getting started project with the most relevant examples we can agree  in a common project structure (that is you are trying to do here) and after that create a maven archetype with this defined structure to allow to others just download the archetype and start to play with the examples.

what do you think?

I put this on your consideration

Thank you

Werner Keil

Feb 5, 2018, 3:01:23 PM2/5/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Sounds like a good idea to reuse and bolster that existing repository.

And try to keep it up to date with rapidly changing version history, e.g. via matching release tags under https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-samples/releases (if necessary even individual features could be taken into consideration, e.g. similar to the versions like https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/config-1.2

Werner

Emily Jiang

Feb 5, 2018, 5:53:26 PM2/5/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1 on reactiving microprofile-samples repo!
Carols, would you like to do a PR on the microprofile-sample to demonstrate your idea?

Emily

Arjan Tijms

Feb 6, 2018, 12:17:32 PM2/6/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

For the standard project type I'd like to propose to use the Java EE 7/8 samples project structure.

This allows profiles to be added for each server/implementation of MP, so you can easily run the exact same samples against all different servers and variants thereof. The profiles can contain some server specific config if needed (such as for JWT, which didn't specify how e.g. the issuer should be configured).

The Java EE project structure is well known already, and the EE 7 repo specifically has over 2000 stars so presumably it's relatively well known already. See https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee7-samples

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Arjan Tijms

Feb 11, 2018, 12:34:45 PM2/11/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Hi,

I've set up a basic skeleton for a MicroProfile 1.2 samples project, with one test for one spec (JWT) to start with.

I added profiles for Payara, Liberty and WildFly for which the samples are automatically tested via Arquillian and Travis:

For each MP release (if applicable) and for each spec, the samples can focus on what's new in each release, and how to setup things so it works for each server / implementation (there are still significant differences sometimes). Each sample is also a normal .war, so it can be deployed and tinkered with standalone.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms