Working group for MicroProfile-OpenTelemetry

Pavol Loffay

Mar 26, 2020, 8:53:58 AM3/26/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi MicroProfile community,

we have started doing some initial work for integrating OpenTelemetry into MicroProfile. This new project will replace the current MicroProfile-OpenTracing.

First we want to build a POC in SmallRye [1] and then drive the specification from there. Any help or feedback is more than appreciated.
Feel free to collaborate on the issues or open a PR. We will be also talking about it during the MicroProfile bi-weekly meeting that takes please on Tuesday. The details are in the MP calendar.
We are also on Gitter channel [2].

[1]: https://github.com/smallrye/smallrye-opentelemetry

Ken Finnigan

Mar 26, 2020, 9:34:00 AM3/26/20
to MicroProfile
Pavol,

I'm not sure it's appropriate to be discussing SmallRye project implementations in the MicroProfile specification calls. What's being discussed, right now, is purely implementation. My preference would be for discussions to happen asynchronously through GH Issues or SmallRye Google Group

Ken

Pavol Loffay

Mar 27, 2020, 5:58:24 AM3/27/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Ken,

we will be discussing issues that are related to differences between OpenTracing and OpenTelemetry that can result in changes to the specification. There are a couple of areas where OpenTelemetry is a little bit different from OpenTracing (tracer resolution, possible metrics integration...). We need to identify these areas and experiment with the best approach for integration into MicroProfile.

That said the main reason for this email is to notify people that this effort has started. Work on the specification and TCK will again go through the MicroProfile community (issues, pull requests, meetings) like always did.

Regards,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 8:54 AM Pavol Loffay <plo...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi MicroProfile community,

we have started doing some initial work for integrating OpenTelemetry into MicroProfile. This new project will replace the current MicroProfile-OpenTracing.

First we want to build a POC in SmallRye [1] and then drive the specification from there. Any help or feedback is more than appreciated.
Feel free to collaborate on the issues or open a PR. We will be also talking about it during the MicroProfile bi-weekly meeting that takes please on Tuesday. The details are in the MP calendar.
We are also on Gitter channel [2].

[1]: https://github.com/smallrye/smallrye-opentelemetry

Emily Jiang

Mar 30, 2020, 5:35:55 PM3/30/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you Pavol! Great plan, look forward to seeing Open Telemetry coming to MP!

Emily

Ken Finnigan

Mar 31, 2020, 1:24:32 PM3/31/20
to MicroProfile
Though we want to ensure that it's not a huge leap from MP OpenTracing to MP OpenTelemetry, we shouldn't feel chained to the way OpenTracing works today for whatever we might decide to do for OpenTelemetry.

Right now, there are no concrete plans for an MP OpenTelemetry spec, API, or TCK. We need to define what an implementation looks like before we can create a specification from it, that is why I'm suggesting all initial discussion/communication should be done in SmallRye OpenTelemetry, which is an implementation that will be experimenting with this.

Having MP spec calls to discuss implementation specifics isn't appropriate, and it's far too early to be discussing spec/TCK related to OpenTelemetry. It's for those reasons I'm suggesting the current work be done in the implementation and not on MP calls.

Ken

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/d6abe6a9-9028-47cb-88ea-8d45860bd945%40googlegroups.com.

Kevin Sutter

Apr 2, 2020, 11:22:38 AM4/2/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
That seems a little harsh, Ken.  I can understand that we want the CI to be done in Small Rye.  And, it's desirable to have an implementation to experiment with before casting a Specification.  But, to indicate that the discussions have to be in one community (Small Rye) vs the other (MicroProfile) seems a bit drastic.  We should continue to push forward with the CI in Small Rye and carry on those implementation-specific discussions in that community.  But, attempting to figure out how or if the current MP OpenTracing API should evolve to utilize the OpenTelemetry API in the MicroProfile community certainly seems doable and desirable.

My two cents worth...
-- Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ken Finnigan

Apr 2, 2020, 11:29:06 AM4/2/20
to MicroProfile
But how can discussion happen on OpenTracing API to OpenTelemetry API differences until an implementation is working on OpenTelemetry, that's my point.

Any discussion around possible specification differences is moot until there's an OpenTelemetry implementation to verify/compare against. Once there's an implementation that uses OpenTelemetry available, then the loop can begin around discussing what might be required of the specification and how that impacts the implementation.

Also, I don't want us determining how OpenTelemetry should be specified because of how OpenTracing was defined as a specification. Though they're both "tracing" related, they're completely different specifications so don't need to be tied to previous ways of working

Bruno Baptista

Jul 17, 2020, 6:56:44 AM7/17/20
to MicroProfile
Hi All,
What's the status of this reference implementation?
On the smallrye project things have stopped.
I think the community needs this... I know I will need it soon on my services.
Can we cheer this a bit and move forward?
Cheers.
Bruno

Ken Finnigan

Jul 17, 2020, 9:25:02 AM7/17/20
to MicroProfile
I've been working on integrating OpenTelemetry into SmallRye Reactive Messaging.

Pavol has begun submitting PRs to SmallRye OpenTelemetry for JAX-RS, etc.

Over the next month or so I'd expect the SmallRye projects to be ready for use with OpenTelemetry

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MicroProfile" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/d3ed14d3-5d05-47b4-a684-b408929b10b4o%40googlegroups.com.

Bruno Baptista

Jul 17, 2020, 9:27:55 AM7/17/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com

Werner Keil

Jul 17, 2020, 3:11:07 PM7/17/20
to MicroProfile
Actually there is no '"Reference Implementation" according to the EFSP, only one or multiple compatible implementations.

Werner