Request for more participation in MP-Metrics spec

Heiko Rupp

Jan 18, 2018, 10:34:45 AM1/18/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
While I enjoy the weekly hour on the beach with frozen Margaritas, Don, Raymond and Felix - and sometimes even Mike, it would be even better if the crowd would be larger.

Please join the weekly calls and gives us your feedback on what we have done so far and what you want to see going forward.

  Heiko

Kevin Sutter

Jan 19, 2018, 9:39:36 AM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Sorry about not joining your weekly calls.  There are just too MP components to stay intimate with all of them all of the time.  And, you run such a tight ship, Heiko, that you don't need any of my assistance...  :-)  Seriously though, Alasdair and I were just talking about furthering the use of Metrics the other day...

How about integrating Metrics with some of the technologies?  (Optionally, of course.)  For example, what about monitoring the use of the Retry logic in Fault Tolerance?  Providing metrics on how often fallback processing is invoked.  That type of thing.  I suppose you could say that this should be part of the FT effort (or whatever technology you are targeting), but it would probably require some pushing and convincing by this Metrics team.

-- Kevin

Emily Jiang

Jan 19, 2018, 12:35:51 PM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks for bringing it up, Kevin! Heiko and I talked about this during the time in EclipseCon Europe last year. There is an issue https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues/169 in Metrics repo. We had some initial discussion. It is marked for Metrics 1.2 release. Maybe in the upcoming release, this should be the focus. I'll try to join the next hangout to discuss further. Sorry Heiko, I did not manage to join as I had too many meetings this week.

Emily

Heiko Rupp

Jan 19, 2018, 1:06:23 PM1/19/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
As Emily said, that integration is on the roadmap and especially FT is well suited.

What I meant (and it is not that I don't want to have you on the call), is that there are other MP implementors here, who I'd like to encourage to also participate and contribute.

Mike Croft

Jan 20, 2018, 7:20:33 AM1/20/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1 Heiko!

My contributions as an "implementor" are as minor as they can get, I think, I have to defer to other very capable colleagues when the rubber hits the road!

It would be great to hear from other people who are implementing Metrics to hear their opinions/views/pain points so we can hear what they think too.