Transactions for Microservices presentation at JavaOne

Tom Jenkinson

Oct 5, 2017, 8:07:31 AM10/5/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi group,

I wanted to give you an update on a session that Mark Little and I gave at JavaOne this week (attached). We had a good number of people attending our session - the format of which was to first present background and theory regarding the need for an extended transaction model (i.e. relaxed ACID) for Microservices followed by a live coding demo (source code here) https://github.com/jbosstm/javaone2017/ in which we took a trip booking system and added transactional behaviour to it..

We talked about how compensations are a natural way of structuring applications (e.g. refunding rather than winding back time) and how even with relaxing the isolation property it is still useful to be able to have a framework that takes care of reliably processing completion directives to achieve an atomic outcome. We also talked about how participants need to satisfy various properties in order to be effective.

The transactional behaviour we were showing was related to the Long Running Action work we have been working on (initially discussed with the MicroProfile community over here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!starred/microprofile/CJirjFkM9Do).

We received good feedback from attendees afterwards and had several delegates approach us after the session to deep dive into some of the subjects we touched on.

It was great to see validation from the wider community of the ideas we have been discussing,
Tom
JavaOne 2017.pdf

Tom Jenkinson

Oct 5, 2017, 8:09:51 AM10/5/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Also - this is a link to a search that should just include the session (number CON1725) https://events.rainfocus.com/catalog/oracle/oow17/catalogjavaone17?search=%22transactions%20for%20microservices%22&showEnrolled=false